Alan Orr

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Alan Orr - 02/14/07 03:33 PM

Anybody here familiar with this guy?
http://www.alanorr.com/
I really like his attitude towards wing chun and training over all. I'm not really one to go in for competitions, but I like to train as if I do and it seems to me that lack of 'alive' training in real position and with full contact are sadly lacking from many, if not most WC schools.
How do folks here feel about kung fu in full contact tourneys? MMA?
Wanna see fighters step up and 'take it back'?
Think competition is just for ego-strokin?
Personally, I love the thought of strength and cardio training playing a bigger part in WC. Don't get me wrong, I'm a technical nut, but damn I get bored if that's all there is to it. Luckily I have one of those rare sifus that picks your brain and busts your a$$.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Alan Orr - 02/15/07 04:38 AM

It is really funny you mention him. Only recently have I been researching on him aswell.
From what I know he has entered a lot of competitions recently to show how his fighting works, check it out on his site.
By the way I found an interesting wing chun site you may be interested in ShikataGaNai, not to do with Alan Orr but with Wing Chun and its practicality.
Anyway yeah he is a pretty good person, my friend has been on one of his seminars and said he talks the truth and throws in his input to help understand everything.
He is also the Wing Chun technical editor in a magazine called Martial Arts Illustrated. In this I find what he has to say very imformative and a great read.
Hows that ShikataGaNai?

Re: Alan Orr - 02/15/07 10:10 AM

What's the link to that site? I'd love to check it out!

Re: Alan Orr - 02/15/07 11:55 AM

Sorry I had to find it.

http://www.wingchunfightclub.org/joomla/index.php

Just a different approach to wing chun I came across and wanted to share with you. You mentioned Alan Orr hence the reason it came back to me.

Re: Alan Orr - 02/15/07 02:31 PM

That is a VERY cool site. Seems like a bunch of good guys, too.

Re: Alan Orr - 02/16/07 04:21 AM

I just saw it and thought of you.
Posted by: Umbra_777

Re: Alan Orr - 02/16/07 11:40 AM

Really cool idea, it will be interesting to see how this pans out. Unfortunantly I do not do Wing Chun so they wont let me in .

Have any wing chun boxers ever competed in MMA?
Posted by: Umbra_777

Re: Alan Orr - 02/16/07 11:48 AM

Also

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0KPPtV4DUIU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GH3lKQ4Nl2Y

Re: Alan Orr - 02/16/07 12:09 PM

"Have any wing chun boxers ever competed in MMA? "

According to the site, yes. Alot of fighters mentioned winning on the ground, but their standup game was totally wing chun. These guys are dedicated to bringing wc back to the reputation it really deserves, not the one that like say the Bullshido people have given it.
The problem with WC in MMA competition is the submission side of it. This is why WC full contact comps with takedowns makes sense to me. They are talking about rules for such an event on WC fightclub now it seems - and it was brought up that allowing takedowns but not submissions might encourage fighters to use their WC to get back on their feet. Yes, these are rules and restrictions - but seriously show me a fight org that doesn't impose rules these days. This is exciting stuff for kung fu folks, i would think. De-politicization, harder training and proven ring effectiveness.
I'm not in for comp fighting myself (well, I might do it just to say I did it ), but I am sick as hell of the excuses folks come up with (ie: ooooh, it's TOO DEADLY for sport fighting )
The way I see it, sport is a representive link to the overall consciousness of the public. Most people, even martial artists, relate more to sport than combat because it's more accessible and let's face it - much more palatable.
I don't really care about winning or losing, but I love WC and kung fu in general and want it to be respected.
Uh, sorry for the rant. This stuff has been banging around in my head too much lately