Kung Fu San Soo

Posted by: skywise89

Kung Fu San Soo - 01/28/07 12:47 PM

Hello everyone, I saw some posts on here that was related
to the art of Kung Fu San Soo. I practice San Soo, and live in southern Oregon. I belive there were some people that have a San Soo club in Southern Oregon, or are just working out. If this is the case, please contact me ASAP. I teach, as well as fight and workout. I am interested in starting a club down here, and working out...and learning on a consitant basies. Please contact if your are interested.
Thanks
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 01/29/07 12:32 AM

well honestly if you're talking about the modern San Shou/San Da (and I guess San Soo) then you would probably want to look more into the Muay Thai/Kickboxing forum. Because thats what the art has become.

Though honestly I believe that real San Shou is a level of attainment than an art art. Its all kungfu anyhow....
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/07/07 02:53 PM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7321275781547151643&q=kung+fu+san+soo&hl=en

If this is san soo it's a lot like kenpo karate. Not bad but a bit sloppy, open, and unreralistic in the attacks made by the attacker but not bad.

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/07/07 06:50 PM

alright I guess I was way off
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/08/07 05:35 PM

Skywise - does this stuff usually look like it does on that video? That was way too 'Enter The Dragon' to me, complete with slow, portly guys in gis.
Posted by: 18lohans

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/08/07 06:29 PM

Quote:

alright I guess I was way off

lol, I thought the same thing as you. I was totally thinking san shou as in what cung le used to do. and I'll agree with you that it's gotten pretty close to muay thai/kickboxing. Maybe add some throwing movement to those.

Isn't san shoo just supposed to be either practice or being able to use random moves of your kung fu system in combat applications?

And that vid of san soo was definitely interesting to watch. I'm all for practicing slow, combos and all that... but it was definitely one of the few times when I saw the guy being attacked actually pretend to get hit. And it was interesting how some of the combos rely on the attacked person's response. (Kick in the groin, head popps forward, smack in the head, groin pops forward, kick again... )
Posted by: archanjo88

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/08/07 06:59 PM

SH,

I been looking for you to talk about the Dante Film Project. This is floyd webb. Please email me at fwebb@itutu.com
Posted by: archanjo88

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/08/07 07:00 PM

ShikataGaNai

Please email me to talk about the Dante film project.
fwebb@itutu.com

thanks

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/08/07 07:49 PM

yea these guys were a little slopy. However Kung fu san soo is a very effective street fighing system. It was based on war...and the workouts and drills have been proven.
thanks
Jay

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/08/07 07:51 PM

Sorry bud, i'm not sure what your talking about?
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/09/07 01:27 AM

Quote:

Isn't san shoo just supposed to be either practice or being able to use random moves of your kung fu system in combat applications?

Yes. It is not a formal system, that's why 'san' = loose / not well-defined, meaning no Forms (kata) and 'shou' = hand (methods)

In the old days some people like police, security guards etc. have no time or inclination to spend the time, effort and money to get into a formal system and so just asked a MA master for some quick easily digestable SD lessions for job requirements. Very much like today's SD "seminars"

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/09/07 08:00 PM

Quote:

if you're talking about San Shou then yes. San Shou is just a level of attainment. Literally meaning "free hand" so its freeing your hands (and feet) from all the forms and such and into a formless way of fighting. Part of the ideas that are in JKD...except it existed before Bruce Lee was born.

I mean if you train enough and are able to free your hands then it might look like what San Shou looks like today but San Shou has been heavily influenced by Muay Thai so thats why it looks so different.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/10/07 09:35 AM

Quote:

but San Shou has been heavily influenced by Muay Thai so thats why it looks so different.

I think that depends a lot on where you are and what art you are doing.
Maybe I am confused between rou shou and san shou? I haven't done either where I felt like there was a presence of muai thai.
Are we talking anout the free fighting type of san shou where the people engaging are starting from the outside? Or are we talking about two people engaging from a point where contact has already been established? To me there is a huge difference between the two. IMO, it is much more difficult to engage and opponent from outside his range where as if contact is already a given it is easier to feel where you opponent is going.
Here would be my example of rou shou.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NSnKXbWCco
I guess for me san shou is defined more as free sparring where contact has not yet been established. IMO, this is a higher level of skill than doing just rou shou because you are trying to implement the same principles but you have added the concept of bridging space to engage your opponent.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/10/07 12:30 PM

See that rou shou is bare handed unlike most san shou, and it more resembles WC sticky hands or tai chi push hands which is great for that mode but San shou normally is done in a ring with gloves and starts from a position of disengagement and uses punches, kicks, knees, and throws I believe. Unarmed is the same thign and the throwing techniques often look like Greco Roman wrestling (especially cung lees back arch throw) with some judo style leg throws. The 2 metods would probably complement each other though even beign very different from what I can tell.
I guess their military uses a bre hand form of san shou but it is still more like MMA than anything else.
Good vid Fisherman, very itneresting. Which one are you and you missed a couple chances for leg tackles/shots. Fu nto watch though, nice arm drag and leg trip.
Posted by: Dog Of War

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/13/07 03:03 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone, I saw some posts on here that was related
to the art of Kung Fu San Soo. I practice San Soo, and live in southern Oregon. I belive there were some people that have a San Soo club in Southern Oregon, or are just working out. If this is the case, please contact me ASAP. I teach, as well as fight and workout. I am interested in starting a club down here, and working out...and learning on a consitant basies. Please contact if your are interested.
Thanks

I was wondering if you are a student of Bob Shores?If not he's in the area the last I heard.

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/13/07 04:22 PM

No I am a student of Tim Shirley. Tim was a teacher under Al Rubin. Robert Shores is a great guy and a good teacher. I do know him. However he is no longer teaching.
Thanks
Jay

Re: Kung Fu San Soo - 02/13/07 10:09 PM

Do you by chance know anyone in the area that is Teaching? If you did, I would be most grateful.
Thanks
Jay