Beginner Looking for Info

Posted by: Jill

Beginner Looking for Info - 01/17/07 12:33 AM

Hello,

I'm thinking of taking classes in Baguazhang. I'm not familiar with the Chinese styles. I've read the art is internal. Does that mean the training will not be physical. I'm afraid / embarassed about getting knocked out in training. I was knocked out once playing soccer and was embarassed and scared. Is getting knocked out a possibility?

Thanks
Jill
Posted by: Taison

Re: Beginner Looking for Info - 01/17/07 05:32 AM

Internal. . external. . .

Oh well, here it goes;

Internal martial arts, or IMA, are styles that focuses on the development of chi, ki, prana, pranh(MT) or also known as internal power. Training will be a mixture of fighting techniques and "chi cultivation".

For example, in Bajiquan and Hsing-yi you will most definitely be standing in horse stance for a very long time. It's to build up chi.

Chi is hard to explain, and being novice in it's cultivation, I can't really define what it is but some says it bio-electricity. All I know it's a good replacement for "brute strength", but it also has to do alot with body mechanics.

External Martial Arts, or EMA, you can see all around you. Muay Thai, Shaolin Kempo, Wing Chun, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, etc etc. They are arts that relies on your muscles to do the job and as well as proper body mechanics.

Ask Fisherman or ButterflyPalm about this, they are a lot older than me, have more experience and can possibly kick my arse using the famous "chi balls".

-Taison out
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Beginner Looking for Info - 01/17/07 07:59 AM

Hi Jill,

Yes the art is internal. Bagua has similar principles to that of Taiji and Xingyi. Does that mean that the training will not be physical? On the contrary. Bagua training can be extremely physical. Bagua training will whip a person into shape in a hurry if they train hard at it.

I wouldn't worry so much about getting knocked out in training. I have been doing Bagua for about 5 years or so and I haven't been knocked out in training yet.

Out of curiosity, what spurred you interest in Baguazhang?
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Beginner Looking for Info - 01/17/07 08:24 AM

Hi Taison,

Quote:

Training will be a mixture of fighting techniques and "chi cultivation".

Any internal art if trained properly will cultivate chi. In the Bagua system I train in, chi cultivation is not really a primary focus of the training. Our primary focus lies in learning how to unify the body so that it generates more power. It is through relaxation and a structurally unified body that the flow of chi can be increased. I liken this to working all of the kinks out of a hose so that the water is able to flow freely.

Quote:

Chi is hard to explain, and being novice in it's cultivation, I can't really define what it is but some says it bio-electricity. All I know it's a good replacement for "brute strength", but it also has to do alot with body mechanics.

I wouldn't necessarily say that chi is bio-electricity, however, I wouldn't say that it is not either. I would say, (and I am going to be overly general here), that chi is the energy that binds everything in the universe.
Yes, lots of body mechanics. We all have chi, however if our mechanics are aligned properly then our chi will move more easily, even to the extent of being able to feel it.
I would not say that chi would replace brute strength. I would say that use of angles, body structure, and superior skill are what can allow one to replace brute force.

I read something interesting the other day about internal vs external. The author said that they both have the same goal of reaching high level skill. The external arts are typically easier at the beginning but become more difficult at higher levels. Internal arts have a very difficult beginning but become easier as you reach the higher levels. Having some experience ion both I would have to agree. I found that the basic principles of external arts are much easier to learn than the internals. I found the exact opposite was true of the internal arts. Now that I have a decent grasp of basic internal principles it has made the training a bit easier to build on. In the external arts I found that as time progressed the art became more and more complexed.

Posted by: Taison

Re: Beginner Looking for Info - 01/18/07 02:03 PM

Thanks for clearing some things up for me Fishy.

I enjoy the external a bit more. Easy at the start, get's harder as you progress.

And my head is too dull to understand all that energy that binds the universe thing.

But like I said. . anything that makes you stronger. . is helpful??

-Taison out