Signature Characteristics of your Style

Posted by: Tsuruken

Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/11/06 11:15 PM

What would you say is the main signature characteristics of your particular style? Is there one technique or aspect that stands out in your art?

Here is one from my art (Minghequan:

Front view of the Shiho Tien Sh-it (Feeding Crane Open's it's Wings). The body position (Tiwei) is held supple and relaxed and is likened to a bow with the limbs being the arrows (Zhang). The energy is lead by the mind through what is known as Xinyi (“Intention”) and delivered via Zhiqiao (“Limb Skill”). White Crane Kung Fu is a soft style which focuses on short ranged hand techniques, with a strong emphasis on applying Dan Dou Qin (Chi tremor). Like an agile bird it eschews confrontations of head-on power. It utilizes folding and flapping actions for elbow and hand continually exchanging with one another. Some times the crane is frontal like a posturing bird. Sometimes it turns suddenly with a surprising wing like covering. In ancient days observers were amazed at the sight of cranes taking off into flight and cracking the branches of nearby trees with the tips of their wings. This idea of extreme acceleration is still evident in the shivering fingertips of crane practitioners when they utilize this energy.

The mind's (Yi) "intent" must also be properly focused and centred within when executing movement. One must not allow the mind to become distracted or bound by external thoughts, the mind should be focused. Qi/Chi only moves only as the mind moves. Energy is directed by your mind. The “Yi” (mind) leads the “Li: (body). The use of the breath is also important as in Chinese martial arts Qi/Chi is breath.

When you have the proper mindset (intent) combined with the correct body posture and breathing then you will develop correct Fajin or expression of energy.
Posted by: zhastyle

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/27/06 02:42 AM

chaquan, hard to come up with any single things at all. nearly all legends, schools, practicers know some of everything but has their own differences.

speed, rythm, hammerfists, power, slams, striking throws, kicks, flying kicks, lively footwork, changing pace, being unmovable, etc.
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/27/06 01:10 PM

spiral force
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/27/06 01:45 PM

The White Crane dog shiver technique is a unique aspect of our system. It can dislodge an opponent or break his limbs. Its strange and I thought weird when 1st introduced, a shaking technique used for self defense.

Its unique not signature, hard and soft, fast and slow is more the signature.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/27/06 02:46 PM

In American Kenpo, the use of checks is a "signature" of that style. In BJJ, I guess the "guard" is a signature of that style.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/27/06 06:26 PM

Baguazhang - circle walking
Xingyiquan - half step issuing power
Posted by: Tsuruken

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/27/06 07:11 PM

Neko456 wrote:

Quote:

The White Crane dog shiver technique is a unique aspect of our system. It can dislodge an opponent or break his limbs. Its strange and I thought weird when 1st introduced, a shaking technique used for self defense.

Its unique not signature, hard and soft, fast and slow is more the signature.

Neko456,

Please tell me more about your White Crane experience!
Posted by: Taison

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/28/06 08:07 AM

My signature? My karate style is very different from mainstream Goju-ryu in that I utilize a charging technique very much influenced from Baji-quan.

I use a one hit push-strike from a very close distance. The bulk of the damage is dealt through the momentary acceleration that travels up from the waist to the limb and further magnified by the charging step.

It's a bit hard to explain in words. Well, imagine when you push on the wall. The force is accelerated from your legs as you push forward, into your waist and through your arms.

One of my favorite techniques is to charge in with an elbow thrust to "stun" and then I deliver my chudan seiken tsuki. Very impressive for demonstrations.

My goju-ryu is very emphasized on using elbows and knees to distrupt the center of gravity. What I noticed however, most of my strikes rarely over-powers my opponent but leaves a very big opening for locks and throws.

All this I discovered on myself is around 1 whole year of research, trial and error. All this was inspired from Bruce Lee's 1 inch-punch but I put it into a more realistic usage for example, if you're going to push, push with a pointed limb like the elbow or knee to create pain.

-Taison out
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/28/06 01:29 PM

so in otherwords, your goju has been influenced by your muay thai...

Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/29/06 09:37 PM

Characteristics of my style. A disturbing stillness followed by quick and violent, but graceful action.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/29/06 10:45 PM

Here is another signature of BJJ (the top mounted position, lest we forget):

Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/29/06 10:46 PM

Nice.

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/30/06 10:10 AM

I thought that this clip provides a fair representation of bagua's signature defense/attack methods. Usage of foot work to evade your opponent while simultaneously creating superior attack angles.
http://www.energyarts.com/hires/bagua/fighting/fightmov.html

Taison,
You said...
Quote:

I utilize a charging technique very much influenced from Baji-quan.

Have you studied Baji-quan? Or was this method somwthing you observed?

Thanks!
Posted by: Taison

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/31/06 12:16 AM

It is something I observed from personal experience.

Well, I was watching a demonstration and I tried it out. Don't really know if it's exactly the same or not because I use the foot work from Karate.

I would very much like to practice Baji if I ever had the opportunity. If I could afford going to Taiwan then I might take up Baji.

The charging step I got from observation, research and practice. Let's just say, I spent a few weeks just trying to figure out how to put momentum behind every attack, a lot by trial and error.

-Taison out

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/31/06 08:59 AM

Cool, thanks Taison!!
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: Signature Characteristics of your Style - 12/31/06 02:28 PM

Taekwondo- well mudokwan. I would say our hook kick is notorious. Bill Wallace trained with my grandmaster to brown belt. I have won many fights with it.

In my competition area now- WTF- round kick, Axe, back turning I would say are trademark

Matt