Kung Fu Existing

Posted by: Hagakure

Kung Fu Existing - 12/10/06 04:51 PM

I read alot of these posts on here but never made my own,Recently I heard someone say that kung fu doesnt exist. After that I heard it on a documentary or something, Can some one explain what this means?
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/11/06 12:43 AM

Perhaps you can quote what the person said for us to be able to give a suitable explanation. There is no common saying of this nature to my knowledge.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/11/06 06:40 AM

kung fu has many forms. It depends on how the person said it. Like Ayub says please quote

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/12/06 04:55 PM

I don't know the exact quote but I believe it was on the "fight science" program that recently came on and the narrator mentioned something about skeptics saying its non existent.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/13/06 02:14 PM

Denying the existence of something isn't very "scientific"
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/13/06 02:28 PM

Are you sure they weren't talking about Dim Mak? Obviously KF still exists.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/13/06 04:05 PM

What they are probably saying is that KUNG-FU really has little to do with naming a fighting system or a certain style. So it doesn't exist as a system of training.

What KUNG-FU means loosely in some of the 108 dilects of Chinese is sorta like Time in grade to Master something, or Hard work it takes to Master something, anything. It could refer to Mastering Shaolin, Wing-Chun,a Violin,Painting or Business skills.

Kung-fu will always exist because it exemplify somehing, even if its Whu Su.

The Chinese are funny that way, They will let us stay ignorant until we learn. Or maybe they are tolarate, they try to understand even if we explain it wrong. They use to want it to stay a secret.

Asking a Chinese do you do Kung-fu? Is like a broken sentence, work hard at WHAT????
Posted by: Taison

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/13/06 10:20 PM

Taison: Ni kung-fu hao ma?
(You effort/time is good?)

Sifu: What kung-fu? I do a lot of kung fu. Cleaning floor, wiping windows, opening the kwoon, staying awake at work and teaching imbeciles like you. So yes, my kung-fu is good.

[Point is; saying kung-fu isn't so smart when you're talking about MA. Try saying the style. ]

-Taison out
Posted by: crablord

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/14/06 02:18 AM

kung fu?? whats kung fu.. it doesnt exist

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/14/06 10:51 AM

Right the two characters gongfu (Kung fu in English), mean skill through effort. This can be used in any sense.

Neko is right, I remember what was said in the documentary now, it was that with the various styles of kung fu which are all called different things, so there is no such style called Kung fu in existence.

The term Wushu also refers to every kind of Chinese martial art, not just the jumpy gymnastic stuff.

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/14/06 07:09 PM

I didn't know it was that deep thank you all for clarifying this up for me.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/15/06 06:19 AM

Quote:

it was that with the various styles of kung fu which are all called different things, so there is no such style called Kung fu in existence.

That is also not 100% true. Sometimes a formal name of a style can also be correctly known as say, Shao Lin Kung Fu as a generic reference to martial arts having an origin from Shao Lin Temple or Hoong Gar Kung Fu; but there certainly is no such Chinese martial arts system called "Kung Fu"

Here is another misnomer. Shao Lin Temple does not exist. Really?

The correct name is Shao Lin Monastery. In mandarin that venerated place in China is called 'Shao Lin Shi' (monastery) A temple is called "miao"
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/15/06 09:34 AM

Wow some interesting points put forward. Great work guys lol.

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/15/06 09:48 AM

Quote:

The correct name is Shao Lin Monastery. In mandarin that venerated place in China is called 'Shao Lin Shi' (monastery) A temple is called "miao"

Sorry to disagree, but I belive you mean Shao Lin Si. Si is from Simiao or siyuan and it does mean temple.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Kung Fu Existing - 12/17/06 07:27 PM

well i from my own experience not many chinese refer to the different Chinese arts as kung fu. They would ask like "you do Hung Ga Kuen?" and not Hung Ga Gung Fu. They would ask you if you practice Gung Fu since the most common association with that word is with the martial arts. But what was previously said is correct, there is no Kung Fu system and anything involving a skill can be called Kung fu, whether it be in killing someone or in washing dishes.