Chicago Wing Chun

Posted by: southsider

Chicago Wing Chun - 09/21/06 10:23 PM

Hi,

I am in Chicago and am looking at 2 wing chun schools

Philip Nearing www.wingchunchicago.com Under IP Ching

Ken Harding www.chicagowingchun.com Under Ho Ming Kam

www.ngfamiltmartialarts.com WSL lineage

Does anyone know anything about any of these schools?

I appreciate you help
Posted by: donchisau

Re: Chicago Wing Chun - 11/04/06 12:10 PM

In Chicago Phil Nearing is the first choice if you want to learn how to fight with wing chun. But as always go with the school and instructor you like the best.Until you get very advanced in wing chun the differences wont matter.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Chicago Wing Chun - 11/08/06 11:42 AM

Phil Nearing will not BS you and will teach you everything you need to know. Don't take my word for it though - you can see the dedication in his students and how they spar and do chi sao. He's probably not only the best in Chi, but the best in the US. As close to Yip Ching as you can get (that's who taught him).
Posted by: wcstudent

Re: Chicago Wing Chun - 12/06/06 09:30 PM

I am normally not on any of these forums, I was just looking for a wallbag and found this. I registered and logged in just because i wanted to say if you're serious about learning wing chun then training with Phil Nearing is the opportunity of a lifetime. it has really made a difference for me and I hope other people are able to have the same benefit. I've used wing chun to defend myself on the street and it hasn't failed me yet.

I agree with everything that has been said previously. Phil Nearing teaches Ip Ching's wing chun, and he's represented it on four different continents. I learned more in my first six months with Phil than I did in over 3 years at another wing chun school, to the point that I feel like a completely different fighter. I've never seen anyone else teach any of the things he knows about energy, chi-sao, position, etc.

He's also the most articulate and intelligent teacher I've ever had, and his commitment to the art is sincere and demonstrated, he doesn't use it as a vehicle for self interest, and he respects his students.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Chicago Wing Chun - 12/11/06 06:57 AM

Like what has been said I would advise you go and check out the schools and see what you like and how they train as it is down to the individual.