Xingyi linkage form clip

Posted by: Fisherman

Xingyi linkage form clip - 09/15/06 10:41 PM

Here is a clip of me doing a Xingyi linkage form.
Questions and comments are welcome.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Xingyi linkage form clip - 09/16/06 11:20 PM

Question -- how do we get to the site/clip?

Comments -- None.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Xingyi linkage form clip - 09/17/06 09:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnGlnTqS5rU

Sorry about that
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Xingyi linkage form clip - 09/19/06 02:39 AM

Comments -- its unfortunate (or perhaps instructive) that your clip is right next to the one called 'This is XingYi Quan' from kmfdm543. I am no great expert on Xing Yi, but the contrast is wide.

First, your shoulders are way too stiff and I see no energy travel from the ankle up, which accounts for the obvious lack of power on the very very difficult opening palm strike, which is the Xing Yi trademark move. If you cannot do this right, you cannot do the rest right, especially the even more difficult upward twisting phoenix eye strike.

Perhaps purely as a training aid, when doing this palm strike, exagerate the downward movement of the palmheel a little more, without straightening your elbow too much. Start the movement by a rapid sinking of the shoulder and elbow (without any further bending of your knees, a natural reaction) and end with a relax drop of the palmheel.

As for the energy travel from the ankle up, try this training aid.

Place a chair against your ankle, feet about two feet apart. With a fast outward twisting flick of the ankle, rapidly flick the chair away and 'transfer' the reactive energy thus generated up the right side of your body (if using the right ankle) to the right shoulder, across to the left shoulder and bring it to the outer surface of the left palm, like giving someone a relaxed back slap. Accompany the movement with a fast snappy twist of the head towards the left.

A once asked a Xing Yi practitioner how many times he does the palmstrike training alone, he said 500 times per session.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Xingyi linkage form clip - 09/19/06 07:58 AM

Very interesting, Fisherman. I don't know much about internal forms, but that seemed more linear and powerful than I would have suspected. Almost like an Okinawan kata.
Posted by: Nuvi

Re: Xingyi linkage form clip - 09/26/06 03:08 PM

Comments (note I've only been studying Hsingi for about a year now so definitely not an expert):

I could identify the parts of the form water/earth/wood/etc but from the base of the style is using structure to generate power. When I practice the form even slowly you get a distinct movement that I didn't see in your form, when you issue the strikes I don't see the structure and the true issuance of the strike. You may also be so refined I can't see it. Like I said I'm not an expert and if you were looking for comments that is what I saw.

As for the power of Hsingi that someone was talking about to me it is one of the most powerful styles out there, I don't know of any other style that generates that much short power so efficiently. The form as I practice it is linear just due to the fact many people practicing at one time requires this, but if I don't pay attention on my wood I tend to travel in circles. This is generally due to my need to over exaggerate my movements due to lack of experience. Start big and refine.