Shoulder tension in wing chun

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Shoulder tension in wing chun - 08/31/06 03:56 PM

I posted this in the health forum already, but thought I might get a more apropriate answer here - so sorry for cross posting.
Anyway, I pinched a nerve in my shoulder years ago and to this day I have some tension issues with it. Anyone who sparred me in boxing always remarked about how I kept it elevated over the other one due to the tension. Now that I'm doing chi sao, it is imperative that I remedy this problem. Does anyone here think acupuncture would be the way to go or have similar experience/advice? Thanks. This is really killing my sticking hands and driving me crazy.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Shoulder tension in wing chun - 09/16/06 07:19 AM

Relying on shoulder during any sort of sensitivity drill is not a good idea. This is a big mistake wing chung guys do, they use shoulder tension to keep their arms stiff so the punches glance their arms. In Taiji, as a beginner, I did same thing. Eventually Peng (ward off energy) will become natural and you don't need shoulder tension.

I would suggest Zhan Zhuang, and lots of stretching and movement. I suppose you could go to Acupuncturist. But I would see what you can do, try to disperse the tension. Rub it, slap it, stretch it, do some bagua, chi gong, whatever

Re: Shoulder tension in wing chun - 09/17/06 06:14 PM

That figures. Chi Gong has proven to be my achilles heal. Thanks.
Posted by: donchisau

Re: Shoulder tension in wing chun - 11/04/06 12:13 PM

The problem is easily corrected by a qualified Sifu. Who is your instructor and have you asked him to fix the problem ?
It has nothing to do with what most call Chi Kung at all.

Re: Shoulder tension in wing chun - 11/08/06 11:43 AM

It's actually working itself out after hours and hours of chi sao. Thanks
Posted by: MarkoCain

Re: Shoulder tension in wing chun - 11/20/06 04:42 AM

Shoulder tension,both physically and mentally has been a bane throughout my training.Getting the shoulder to sit back and down while still relaxed is a fundamental requirement for absorbing incoming force not only in chi sau but also in the training of technique.I personally have on and off days of tension and the difference it makes to the effectiveness of drills or rolling is very noticeable.Being a bit of a slacker I have sought no medical opinions (operation wise) and just hope to overcome the discomfort or put it down to a "bad day".I find frustration is a guaranteed outcome though when my shoulders won't play the game.Chiropractic treatment and massage has always helped but at $60 for a session it is also cost prohibitive.Jeez...sorry to ramble for no apparent answer and all of the above is IMHO.If you find a solution to this problem,please let us know.
Posted by: donchisau

Re: Shoulder tension in wing chun - 11/21/06 01:48 PM

Marko, wing chun is meant to be performed with movements that are in harmony with the structure of the body. If you have shoulder tension it is because you have not be taught or shown how to do chi sao using methods that work woth the body. tension comes from using muscle. you should be using the bones. proper skeletal alignment will fix the problem overnight. If your teacher cant or wont show it to you go to any practicianar of CMA and then get another teacher.
Posted by: MarkoCain

Re: Shoulder tension in wing chun - 11/22/06 04:05 AM

Quote:

If you have shoulder tension it is because you have not be taught or shown how to do chi sao using methods that work woth the body.

I think a misunderstanding,probably due to my inability to properly word things,is occuring here Don.The tension I was talking about is only due to injury or stressful days not poor instruction or structure.
Cheers.