Kwan Ying Do????

Posted by: eagleone

Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/13/06 09:43 PM

Hello, I am currently a student under the Long Fist style and I've been looking for a kwoon that's more locally suited for travel purposes and the only one I could find trains in Kwan Ying Do and Yang's Taichichuan the sifu is a student of the creator of the art Feeman Ong. Is anyone familiar with Kwan Ying Do and how effective and practical it is??? I read that it's a combination art developed by Feeman Ong and it contains methods from Long Fist, White Brow, Yang's Taichichuan, and Baguazhang. I'm looking for some serious opinions because I don't want to waste my money on a "fake" or impractical style.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/14/06 02:35 PM

Friend,

Where might you reside? That would be helpful in trying to answer your question.

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/14/06 03:18 PM

wadsworth ohio.

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/14/06 03:25 PM

Quote:

Friend,

Where might you reside? That would be helpful in trying to answer your question.

are you familiar with Kwan Ying Do? I don't know if I should enroll at the kwoon I'm looking at because I'm not sure how authentic Kwan Ying Do is.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/14/06 08:53 PM

Eagleone,

First I did a search of Cleveland. I'm not sure of the distance but they have very, very, very credible training at the various Wing Lam Kung Fu schools.

Here's one of their locations (216) 431-4991 5100 Saint Clair Ave Cleveland, OH 44103

While not Long Fist they are a Northern System and there will be similarities. If you call them they will likely know all of the potential Chinese schools in your area, or can refer you to someone who does.

I do have a friend who teaches in Pittsburgh, Pa, but that's further away. He teaches Northern Eagle Claw (Ying Jow Pai) - I did an article on this site about that system, Yang and Wu Tai Chi Chaun.

Unfortunately I haven't heard of your system, but with hundreds of Chinese styles that's often the case.

Good Luck,

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/14/06 11:16 PM

Quote:

Eagleone,

First I did a search of Cleveland. I'm not sure of the distance but they have very, very, very credible training at the various Wing Lam Kung Fu schools.

Here's one of their locations (216) 431-4991 5100 Saint Clair Ave Cleveland, OH 44103

While not Long Fist they are a Northern System and there will be similarities. If you call them they will likely know all of the potential Chinese schools in your area, or can refer you to someone who does.

I do have a friend who teaches in Pittsburgh, Pa, but that's further away. He teaches Northern Eagle Claw (Ying Jow Pai) - I did an article on this site about that system, Yang and Wu Tai Chi Chaun.

Unfortunately I haven't heard of your system, but with hundreds of Chinese styles that's often the case.

Good Luck,

That school in Cleveland also has a branch in Macedonia that I'm looking at. It's closer. I'm not a student in Kwan Ying Do yet atleast. I'm a Long Fist student. Thanks for the help. I still ain't too sure how credible the Kwan Ying Do style is. I emailed the sifu with some ?'s and never heard back so I'm quite sceptical.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/15/06 08:36 AM

What makes you so sceptical?

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/15/06 12:02 PM

Quote:

Bcause I emailed the sifu with some basic questions to see if the school can be credible or not and it's been a few days and I haven't heard back, and I've never heard of a system called Kwan Ying Do and all my contacts in the CMA community can't ring anything up on the style.

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/16/06 06:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bcause I emailed the sifu with some basic questions to see if the school can be credible or not and it's been a few days and I haven't heard back, and I've never heard of a system called Kwan Ying Do and all my contacts in the CMA community can't ring anything up on the style.

scatch that statement. Recent research proves his legitness and I'm looking into the kwoon. Turns out he knows my great uncle/sifu as one of Sitaigung Ong's original students.
Posted by: JABB

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 08/25/06 10:39 AM

Kwan Ying Do is definitely a legitimite martial art.

Feemon Ong was a student of Grandmaster Gao Tao Sheng. You can read all the information you want at http://www.kwanyingdo.com, and the website for the Wadsworth school is http://www.hingsingschool.com .

I am a student of Sifu Cial, and I must say he is quite good at what he does.

Also GrandMaster Gao teaches both Shaolin Chang Ch'uan & Tang Lang (Shaolin Long Fist & Praying Mantis). With the unfortunate death of Master Ong in the 80's the head of the system Master Alex Wasil has also been instructed by Master Gao.
Posted by: tailiugug

Re: Kwan Ying Do???? - 09/26/06 05:36 PM

I will say this the combanation of those arts will be very interesting. but I would worry about how complete the training might be each of those arts would take at least ten years to become truely one with and have important stages that should not be missed. Its sounds like a great find If indeed your master got permission from his instructors then it should be solid, let us know how your training goes.
good luck remember pain is joy