A little doubtful

Posted by: Shouji

A little doubtful - 05/22/06 09:58 PM

Whenever I watch random street videos on google, or UFC matches, I always try to invision myself as one of the victims in the video. I take Shaolin-Do Kung-Fu, and I can never picture myself as being the winner of those situations, simply because I just cannot see myself employing learned skills of kung-fu against a barrage of punchs.

Now compare this situation to a sparring match, and I can say that I would excell. Because in a sparring match, there are set rules and such. In the real world however, no rules will hold anyone back, simply because there are none.

So what do you all think?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A little doubtful - 05/23/06 07:55 AM

I think that if you increase the intensity levels and reduce the number of rules in sparring, you will improve your abilities to react under "real world" pressure.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: A little doubtful - 05/23/06 08:08 AM

Is this another "is kung fu practical" thread?!
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: A little doubtful - 05/23/06 02:32 PM

So basically you are worrying about something you imagined.

Such is the way of the world, almost everyone is afraid of somethinig that isn't real.

You don't train to compete in UFC, so why would you excel? UFC guys, when training for UFC, aren't training for kung fu sparring matches, so why would they excel in that area?

And as for street fighting.... To quote Marc "Animal" MacYoung, infamous streetfighter turned self-defense guru "And to tell you the truth, in order to find yourself in a 'streetfight' you have to be somewhat of an [censored]. You may want to believe otherwise, but there is a simple raw truth....there ain't no such thing as "a good guy" in a streetfight."
Posted by: GuitarNinja

Re: A little doubtful - 05/23/06 02:43 PM

Quote:

Is this another "is kung fu practical" thread?!

I think more or less hes worried about HIM not being practical on the street as opposed to the kung fu itself. Im probaly wrong though.

Truth of the matter is, most people who train TMA just dont train enough anyway. Let alone alot of these people train in ways that are detrimental to their development as a fighter. I suggest the same as mattj did, spar harder, spar more, train more, learn what your techniques are actually for... and dont stop at the first answer you come to. Even if the answer is plausible there are usually many more ways the same result can be achieved, with enough hard work and determination you will eventually reach an understanding of your art as a self defense tool.

Consider this, those videos (usually) have two untrained fighters just swinging at each other, usually one wins and one loses if a punch actually lands. Now imagine, the person who won didnt have any training and faired well enough to come out the victor. So just keep training.

As for MacYoung... lets be honest here, an overweight-out of shape street fighter turned guru... claims all TMA suck and are basically worthless.

Which brings me to the question, the answer of which could possibly solve world hunger!

Why do so many people take advice from fat people on how to lose weight ?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: A little doubtful - 05/23/06 03:38 PM

Ah ya gotta love Mac! don't agree with everything he says, but I did like that quote of his about the Streetfighting.

I think MattJ And Guitarninja made a good point all the same, a lot of TMA's places don't train enough. The only place I know locally where they offer training more than twice a week is the WTF TKD at the local uni. They train 5 times a week. If I didn't travel to another dojo, I'd only be able to do Judo once a week as well.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: A little doubtful - 05/23/06 03:42 PM

To excel as a fighter, then you would have to train as a fighter. Train and practice with the mentality that you are going to use these techniques to fight. Try and find out what your techniques are used for, how to apply them. Learning all of this, step up the intensity. Remember you're not just training for excercise, you're training to fight.

Also like mentioned before, step up the sparring.

And if you spar, maybe you should approach it as more of a streetfight, meaning have a more relaxed stance and keeping your body and techniques loose and simple. Because you probably wont be doing 540s in the air on the street and standing in a monkey stance. Though it mite scare some people, haha
Posted by: WuXing

Re: A little doubtful - 05/23/06 04:05 PM

Make sure to spar as much as you can in class...even if you can't do full contact face strikes, you should be able to strike towards the face, and you should get in that habit. You should also be allowed to use Chin' na and grappling moves that are in the forms, and you should practice using those as much as possible. Making it really work will also require a lot more training than can be offered in class. There is generally not nearly enough time in class for bag work. I would invest in a heavy bag of some sort and practice all your techniques full force on a regular basis. Experiment with ways to hit, hand formations, different types of kicks. Make the techniques your own, and don't depend on the exercises in class to teach you everything.
Posted by: the_terminator

Re: A little doubtful - 05/23/06 10:09 PM

A real fight is just sparring without rules and pretty much just do more damage to your enemy in simplest ways, just watch out as some ppl will play dirty.

You should be able to use your Kung-Fu techniques in a "real world" fight, because you train using those techniques and you will end up using your Kung-Fu out of instinct pretty much.
Posted by: 1neikoot

Re: A little doubtful - 05/24/06 12:20 AM

I train TMA! So maybe if your not learning something in your TMA, you should switch to a differant TMA
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: A little doubtful - 05/24/06 12:51 AM

Quote:

I train TMA! So maybe if your not learning something in your TMA, you should switch to a differant TMA

exactly!

Re: A little doubtful - 05/24/06 09:59 PM

Quote:

I cant say I agree with this
Just because HE isnt learning anything doesnt mean that its the art's fault for not teaching him. A student has to learn for himself with guidance of an instructor, master, wut have you. Its definitely not the Martial Arts' fault, if anything (not saying it is) it could be the teachers's lack of in depth training and teaching.

I mean if he goes to another art and doesnt learn anything there, then what? martial arts doesnt teach him anything?? I seriously doubt that. And a big part of being a student I would say is THINKING, and its not exactly something easy to do. Look at a technique, observe the motion, observe the strengths needed and your put it together to see what this technique is really capable of. Kinda like wax-on wax-off, theres a meaning behind your techniques and movements...can you find them??
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: A little doubtful - 06/05/06 12:59 PM

Quote:

.... To quote Marc "Animal" MacYoung, infamous streetfighter turned self-defense guru "And to tell you the truth, in order to find yourself in a 'streetfight' you have to be somewhat of an [censored]. You may want to believe otherwise, but there is a simple raw truth....there ain't no such thing as "a good guy" in a streetfight."

Wow. I don't know about that.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: A little doubtful - 06/05/06 07:59 PM

Any kind of full contact sparring will make you a better street fighter. Take two fighters- Fighter A has been in 5 street fights, one on one, no rules, and is untrained. Fighter B has been in 5 fights, one on one no rules, and has done 1 year of hard regular tgraining in Choy lee fut kung fu., with regular full contact sparring with protective gear and rules.
In a fight, fighter B will most likey win.

Re: A little doubtful - 06/06/06 12:08 AM

just train harder, look and see how your techniques can be used..and yea the important thing is to spar alot more and alot harder.

When you just train for a good amount time and then you start to spar you get to see how much strength and speed you've developed...or you can see the more advanced guy and see how fast and strong hes become to motivate you some more

hard training + sparring is directly proportional to your survival on the street
increase in (training + sparring) = increase in (survival)

geeez chinese people and their math (jk, im chinese)