Kung Fu San Soo?

Posted by: Xeric

Kung Fu San Soo? - 03/03/06 06:59 AM

I have recently been looking for martial arts dojos in my area (northern colorado) and have come across a place that teaches San Soo. It seems to be a pretty straight forward "anything goes" type of fighting that might prove useful in a streetfight, But I'm looking for a martial art that will focus on increasing speed and power just as much as learning techniques regardless of how practical they would be in a real fight (Power being something similar to Iron Palm). Besides San Soo I have also found dojos teaching: wing chun kwoon, Sanjuriu, Shudokan Karate, Aikido, Tai Chi, Bujinkan, Moo DO, and something called "white dragon?". Considereing my goals I'd like some opinions on what would suit me best or even what you think of any of the styles Ive mentioned. Thanks for any comments and your time.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Kung Fu San Soo? - 03/03/06 07:19 AM

Xeric,

Where in northern CO are you? Ft. Collins? Greely? How far are you willing to travel?

Re: Kung Fu San Soo? - 03/03/06 12:34 PM

I live in loveland and Im prolly willing to travel 20 miles or so. So definately to places in Fort Collins, maybe Longmont. Thanks.
Posted by: spoonhammer

Re: Kung Fu San Soo? - 03/03/06 09:22 PM

Shoot, while were at it, know of any good Kung Fu schools in southern Colorado, Fisherman? I found one really good Wing Chun place in the Springs, but I'm more interested in a "hard" style, preferably animal based, like Hung Gar...weren't any listings in the phone book or the internet (cept for the Black Lotus Kung Fu Studio, but their schedule didn't agree with me)...
Sorry to barge into your assistance plea, Xeric, but I figured since we're both in Colorado, why start a new thread?

Re: Kung Fu San Soo? - 03/04/06 12:31 PM

I'll see what I can dig up for you. I am in Vegas this weekend, so my time on the forums is limited.
Back on Monday!

Vivaaaaaa Las Vegas!

Re: Kung Fu San Soo? - 03/10/06 12:33 AM

bump = )

Re: Kung Fu San Soo? - 03/11/06 09:37 AM

Xeric,

A friend of mine does Chen style Taiji in Ft. Collins. I talked to him this morning and he said that they do a bit of applicatory stuff and two person exercises, just not a lot of jumping around etc. that you might encounter at a kung fu school. He has shown me a couple of their training methods and some of their chin na stuff and I think it is pretty good.

spoonhammer,
I'm not sure what exists in southern CO. I may know of someone in Durango, but thats a ways from the Springs.

If either of you guys are going to be in the Denver area shoot me a PM. I'd be interested to chat with you, etc.