Which would you recommend?

Posted by: Roson

Which would you recommend? - 02/06/06 08:53 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to posting here but I frequently read through these forums. I have a question regarding which to learn, Wushu, or Wing Tsun. Both of the instructors are legitimate and quialified, and I'm nearly nonbiased(sp?). Please give me your opinion on which you suggest and why.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Which would you recommend? - 02/06/06 09:49 PM

Once again, a person who wants suggestions without giving information about what he prefers. I hope you have done research for I am not in the mood to write down the history or the philosophy of both arts.

Wushu. Great workout, many forms that will enable you to become more agile, flexible and stronger. Later on, weapon will be included in the syllabus. Many high kicks and flashy stuff.

Wing Chun. Great SD art. Hand speed will increase, as well as accuracy. Many deceptive techniques. Not so many kicks and almost no Flashy stuff [unless you consider striking at the neck area with 10 punches within 2 second flashy].

I need more information on you if you want me to elaborate my suggestion. I'm not doing both of these arts but I have a sound knowledge of theory concerning both of these arts.

For now, no suggestion until you have given more information such as what you will use it for, what's your goal, what's the point in training, what you like [not personal stuff like apple pie, I mean technique wise, like grappling/striking] and what's your area of weakness [again, not personal stuff, I mean like unagile, weak, fat skinny, whatever].

-Taison out
Posted by: Roson

Re: Which would you recommend? - 02/06/06 10:32 PM

Sorry Taison, your right I should have been more specific. What I'm looking for is sometihng that will increase my flexibility and hand accuracy, but also increase my ability to kick. I have a Jujitsu background but I couldn't take it as far as I wanted because they closed down while I was on vacation.

My weaknesses I would say are my ability to strike accurately with my feet, flexiblity, and foot speed. But I am not satisfied with my hand accuracy or strentgh.

It will primarily be used for fun but also sparring with friends. And my goal for this is to get more physically fit [leaner, more flexible], and to have experience in Chinese martial arts.

My purpose I suppose would be to get faster, leaner, be able to defend myself, and have more fun sparring with my friends, whom are far more experienced in martial arts than I.

Technique wise I enjoy striking alot more than grappling, I'm not overweight, but my body isn't 140lbs of muscle either.

Once again I appologize for my previous post. I hope this gives more necessary information in order for people to form suggestions.

Thanks again.

Re: Which would you recommend? - 02/06/06 10:41 PM

It seems you are more inclined towards sparring and general fitness. I'd recommend Wing Chun to you.

Not many kicks, but their kicks are effective. Most low kicks and what they call in Karate "Ashi-barai"? Wing Chun will prepare you for striking, that I can guarantee and many takedowns which will compliment your arsenal of jujutsu.

Less forms. Too many forms tend to get people confused. WC is good for people who don't enjoy form but still want to learn a Chinese MA.

Wing Chun will also help you get leaner? nah, a good diet and some rough and tumble sparring 30 minutes 3 days a week should help that.

Wing Chun is not so complex, again it is, but not as complex as many other Chinese martial arts, thus is one of the most popular. The hand speed, the deceptive striking, the art of defending and attacking at the same time makes WC a powerful tool to use while sparring.

It takes time get good at WC but what doesn't? It's not like you can take a crash course in 6 hours and come out like the second generation Ip-man or the Legendary Bruce Lee.

Have fun with WC.

-Taison out
Posted by: swift

Re: Which would you recommend? - 02/07/06 01:52 AM

PREFACE
Now bear in mind that I have not studied "Classc / Formal" Wing Tsun but have received instruction *based* on certain concepts of Wing Tsun. So the knowledge I have is not confound nor expounded upon Wing Tsun.

Between those two styles there is quite a differance in style. I can see how both can be beneficial. I have never studied Wu Shu yet understand some of it's technique. My background is in JKD.
The first instructor I studied under was a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and a black belt in Judo before he was certified in JKD.
In JKD he was taught Wing Tsun concepts along with Muy Thai; Savate; and Kali..concepts.. Any how in our workouts he shared alot of the Wing Tsun concepts. The only real fighting knowledge I had prior to this was street boxing. The Wing Tsun concepts were awesome in teaching me how to intercept punches how to trap punches.how to quickly counter punches.Alot of the hand technique he taught us was based on Wing Tsun. It is a great colaboration of finess, quickness and power. The kicking aspect he didn't really lean on to much. He emphasised more on the Muy Thai style kicks and basic Karate kind of kicks..
The 2nd instructor I worked out with was Korean and had been raised; being taught Karate/ Tae Kwon Do by his father.
As a young man he studied Wing Tsun for a few years.
-When I worked with him he saw that I had a pretty good grasp of hand technique and began teaching me some of the Wing Tsun leg blocks and how to use them to break the opponents centerline when they kicked..
I find that the Wing Tsun fighting concepts can be greatly benefical because they are designed to conserve energy. I personally don't prefer to be confound to a horse stance (which is if I'm not mistaken the foundational stance for Wing Tsun) when in a confrontation. I prefer to use the boxing aspect in my footwork then fall into the horse stance if neccessay to block kicks or for what ever other reason.
I find that the punches taught in Wing Tsun flow a little faster than tradional American Boxing or Karate Style Punches. However the other styles "seemed" at first to have a little more power though a bit slower. Then I learned about snaping my punches on impact and now prefer to lean on a more Wing Tsun "style" type of punch.

Anyhow this is what I have experienced. I really like some of the long punches found in Wu Shu as well as the legs sweeps and other things.
- Maybe consider checking out both styles of schools and then further your decision from there.

Re: Which would you recommend? - 02/07/06 10:23 PM

You are forgetting something.

WC has one of the best center of balance of the Chinese MA. Also, Economy of Motion. If you put twins who has every single aspect the same, except one uses WC the other uses Wushu. The WC guy would be able to fight pro-longed battles better than the the Wushu.

I mean, if you don't jump around, doing somersaults and constantly changing form, would you get tired? no. If you do, yes.

-Taison out