beginner classes

Posted by: jdl508

beginner classes - 02/06/06 12:42 PM

let me start by saying i am an absolute beginner and mean no disrespect to anyone if I come off that way. I have tried a few schools trial plans in the last couple of months (karate, brazilian jiu jiutsu and wing chun kung fu). Having said that my main desire is self defense. Of course every school I go to swear by there form of self defense making it even more dificult for the novice. Originally I was sold on BJJ but recently after seeing a UFC show I tried to think of how realisic that would be in real life. It didnt seem likely. I can't picture myself instantly going to the ground in a fight. I am torn right now between BJJ and Kung Fu and need to sign a 1 year contract so I am trying to make sure which may be better for me. I am starting to come to the conclusion that I should just take something I will enjoy because I have a greater chance of sticking with it, and hope for the best when it comes to self defense as you can't know it all. I guess Im just trying to find the best bet for me. I'm not a 'fighter' so this is not necessarilly natural for me. Any thoughts out there on this. Thanks in advance.
Posted by: oldman

Re: beginner classes - 02/06/06 04:14 PM

Quote:

I am starting to come to the conclusion that I should just take something I will enjoy because I have a greater chance of sticking with it, and hope for the best when it comes to self defense as you can't know it all.

It might be good to take some time to accurately assess what threats you are actually at the most risk of experiencing. What are the odds that you will be involved in a carjacking? what are the chances you will be robbed at gunpoint? Do you work late hours at a convienience store. Do you live in gang territory? do you live in the suburbs? Do you drink alchohol? Do you go to bars regularly? Are you involved in an extra-marital affair? Are you male or female? Do you ride public transportation?

Like you said there are many factors involved. Best self defense... wear a seatbelt.

Do what you enjoy. Study with a pragmatic mindset. Understand basic principles and be prepared to get the hell out of Dodge. I don't enjoy conflict or fighting either but I am more prepared for any encounter than I was 10 years ago. I am hopefully not as stupid and also have much less to prove.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: beginner classes - 02/07/06 07:32 PM

You're going through almost the same thing as me right now. Fortunately, I have been studying some BJJ for the past year so I know already what does and doesn't work for me within it. The main thing it has done for me is provide augmentation for my Krav Maga training, which I consider my "street defense" tools (I'm not going to use the word "art", but not out of disrespect for the system). The downside is I have found that those who believe BJJ is "realistic SD" because it's proven in the UFC are gravely mistaken. Remember the UFC has rules. When people harp that KF or other TMA's suck because they're not in the UFC these days, they miss the fact that most of those arts utilize moves that could maim or kill somebody. Plus, the philosophy of Kung Fu is relatively non-competitive.
If you can, practice both. But my two cents is that KF has much more long-term interest, at least for me. I read an article in TimeOut Chicago today that pointed out that MMA's are incredible for their workouts, strengthening and techniques you can use while TMA's have a longer learning curve that pays off more and more over time. It's all about how much you want to invest and how much you want back.

PS - If you're looking for a happy middle ground, try Kali!
Posted by: who238

Re: beginner classes - 02/21/06 04:15 AM

Quote:

I'm not a 'fighter' so this is not necessarilly natural for me. Any thoughts out there on this. Thanks in advance.

Good to see that you have given it some thoughts. You shouldn't be presurrised into signing a contract unless you are sure. Any system will take time and training to get up a proficient level for SD, there are no magic formulars.

I would suggest you try Akido or Sholin Chin-Na. Although, I never studied them, but I admire them for non-open aggressive nature and footwork. These may suit your personality and ideals more, hence something you will stick and enjoy learning. Enjoyment is very important. Anyway, I may take up Akido one day.

Also, good advice already given - be realistic about the type of attacks you are likely to find.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: beginner classes - 02/22/06 01:08 PM

Quote:

be realistic about the type of attacks you are likely to find.

Would you care to elaborate on this statement?
Posted by: stryker505

Re: beginner classes - 02/25/06 03:06 PM

It's unfortunate that some schools require students to sign a year long agreement. Three months would be more appropriate but we don't make the rules.

I was a BJJ student. I left because it was very expensive and I thought it had too much ground fighting emphasis. It was a lot of fun though. Kung Fu has a lot to offer- defensively speaking. Just be sure the KF school you plan on studying at emphasizes defense as well as the art itself. Sometimes the art and practical street defense are two very different things (but you sound like you already know that).
I would say "go for Kung Fu" but I don't like the sound of a year long agreement. I am currently a Kung Fu student. I am more interested in learning the art rather than it's street applications. I have had alot of defensive training with other arts (Krav Maga, miltary combatives, Kempo, Silat...) so defense isn't my focus right now.

Well- Goog Luck!!

Let us know what you decided to do and how it's working out for you.

Stay safe!!
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: beginner classes - 02/25/06 04:57 PM

Quote:

I was a BJJ student. I left because it was very expensive and I thought it had too much ground fighting emphasis.

That is because BJJ's primary emphasis is groung fighting.