when'd you start?

Posted by: Near

when'd you start? - 01/16/06 08:17 PM

Hi, im thinking of learning some kung fu (wing chun looks cool and practical). i'm 17 turning 18 and i know its never too late but i was wondering when you guys started learning KF (any kind) and how long you've been at it.
Posted by: Taison

Re: when'd you start? - 01/16/06 09:50 PM

Shuai Jiao [Chinese Wrestling]
Started in January 2002, stopped in June 2004.

2 years. .

-Taison out
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: when'd you start? - 01/16/06 10:05 PM

Started kung fu in 1992. Choy li Fut.

Kevin

Re: when'd you start? - 01/16/06 10:25 PM

Choy Li Fut sounds like some guy's name.

See if my memory serves me right. CLF was made by combining Taiji? of the Li family, Choy family and Fut Quan[aka Shaolin Boxing]?

My memory isn't as good as it was last month.

-Taison out
Posted by: trevek

Re: when'd you start? - 01/17/06 05:28 PM

Started Chen Tai Chi Chaun about 7-8 months ago at the age of 39. Before that I'd done TKD for about 14 years (on and off) and dabbled in a bit of wrestling and capoerra.
Posted by: spoonhammer

Re: when'd you start? - 01/18/06 07:23 PM

Started TKD when I was 17. Just started Wing Chun this week, at age 27. Its never too late! Except when it comes to making car payments. I miss my car
Posted by: wonka

Re: when'd you start? - 01/18/06 09:16 PM

I do Wing Chun. i started at the begging of 2005, and am still doing it now. plan to keep goin until blak belt 2. its da greatest!
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: when'd you start? - 01/19/06 03:14 AM

Quote:

Started Chen Tai Chi Chaun about 7-8 months ago at the age of 39. Before that I'd done TKD for about 14 years (on and off) and dabbled in a bit of wrestling and capoerra.

How are you liking the Taijichuan?

Re: when'd you start? - 01/19/06 03:24 AM

I'm really enjoying the TC, particularly when I notice I've lost some weight!

What is interesting is realising the complexity of a move and then remembering moves from my TKD tul and how they could be reinterpreted. I also find myself thinking a lot more about the moves and patterns at odd times of the day (hands like clouds practice is not a good idea when you're driving ).

My sifu also teaches White Crane and Yang TC, so he shows us application etc.

Occasionally, however, I miss the sweat and pump up of sparring and more aggressive action. However, maybe I'll grow out of that.
Posted by: kusojiji

Sounds Good! - 01/19/06 03:29 AM

Quote:

Occasionally, however, I miss the sweat and pump up of sparring and more aggressive action. However, maybe I'll grow out of that.

Or maybe you'll get to the point where all that is part of your TC training. Best of both worlds!
Posted by: TheWhiteTiger

Re: When'd you start? - 01/23/06 05:57 PM

new guy here
i started around 7 years ago in White Tiger Style Kung Fu, hence the screen name "TheWhiteTiger"

Re: Sounds Good! - 01/24/06 03:19 AM

Quote:

Or maybe you'll get to the point where all that is part of your TC training. Best of both worlds!

Yeah, I hope so (however, by then I'll be like one of those ancient guys who practice in the park

Re: Sounds Good! - 01/24/06 08:54 AM

Ancient guy?

Now now, being 102 years old practicing in the park ain't that ancient, is it?

-Taison out

Re: Sounds Good! - 01/24/06 10:31 AM

Sounds like Taison is trying to convince himself

Re: Sounds Good! - 01/24/06 09:52 PM

-Taison out
Posted by: Guy

Re: When'd you start? - 01/27/06 07:37 PM

Started ITF TKD in January of 1975, recently shifted over to Chinese styles. The Chinese forms I'm doing now looks a lot like Long Fist Styles.

Guy

Re: Sounds Good! - 01/28/06 05:53 AM

Just read an interesting article in TKD Times where a TKD Master shows how stamping (stomping for our colonial cousins) can be a useful tool for SD and power. He shows this by demonstrating it's use in TC.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Sounds Good! - 01/28/06 10:30 AM

Trevek -

Interesting about the "stomping". The AKK I studied used that in both SD techniques to the opponent's feet, and as a means to synchronize power delivery (striking as the foot hits the ground).

AKK has a fair amount of Chinese influence, but it never occurred to me that stomping may be part of that Chinese heritage.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Sounds Good! - 01/28/06 10:46 AM

Stomping the feet is present in Xingyi, Bagua and Tai Chi.
I have seen it used as a method to issue power by dropping on a single point.
This can also be used as a method to expand rapidly. Think of how a water balloon expands on all sides when it is placed on a surface. Doing this quickly causes an outward explosion of power. I have seen this occur in Chen Tai Chi, in particular during 'ji' or press.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Sounds Good! - 02/02/06 12:18 PM

i've heard something about the making contact as you're foot lands on the ground, a korean concept of using the 'shockwave' to create more power in a kick.

and stampings good for keeping people at their distance.
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Sounds Good! - 02/02/06 04:00 PM

Well I never started learning Kung Fu, but I started martial arts when I was 15.

Re: Sounds Good! - 02/02/06 10:45 PM

Wait wait wait! !

Stomping, stamping? ? ?

As in to "stomp" your opponent's foot? A downward kick which hits with the sole of your foot against the upper part of your opponent's foot?

Why is it called "Stamping"? Is Stamping pronounced as in "stamp", "stampede" or "stamina"?

Anyway, back to topic. .

The legendary BL used a lot of stomping for SD situations. Stomp the foot, the inside of the knee, and on the opponent when they are down.

Stomping occurs mostly in Chinese arts or chinese influenced like various styles of Kempo/Kenpo. I thought I saw something in Goju-ryu but I'm not so sure about it.

-Taison out
Posted by: Guy

Re: Sounds Good! - 02/03/06 12:21 AM

The ITF forms uses stomping motions. Like in Toi-gye as you are executing a W block with both forearms. You stomp on the ground.

Guy

Re: Sounds Good! - 02/03/06 04:55 PM

I've just realised I've hijacked a thread... apologies!

stomp vs stamp, probably the US useage is based on an older British form. Generally in UK the word 'stamp' is used.

The article was mainly about the use of stamping to generate power, particularly in a situation where you were unable to generate reaction-based power, for example, back to a wall etc.

Apparently pre-war karate, korean arts etc used a lot more stamping technique (and more people wore shoes).
Posted by: lau_gar_master

Re: Sounds Good! - 02/12/06 08:27 AM

im 15 and i started lau gar kungfu about 4 months ago and im just getting my white sash (you have to earn it)it takes alot of hard work but it is effective.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Sounds Good! - 02/12/06 09:32 AM

Eventhough you have not been training in it all that long, what are some aspects of lao gar that make it effective? What is it that you like about it?