Eagle Claw? Tiger Claw?

Posted by: nowayaswaylee

Eagle Claw? Tiger Claw? - 01/11/06 05:01 PM

ok so iv heard about eagle claw and tiger claw..
what's the difference between the two?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Eagle Claw? Tiger Claw? - 01/11/06 05:28 PM

Eagle claw -

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=131

Tiger style -

http://www.shaolin.com.au/tiger.html
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Eagle Claw? Tiger Claw? - 01/11/06 05:35 PM

The tiger paw the fingers are spreaded more for a strike its more of a clawing tearing, when you grasp its more four fingers and the thumb, even with a palm strike it tears the skin.

The eagel talon is more a two finger and thumb grasp, the palm strike doesn't always tear. The talon I find more comfortable at knife hand and ridgehand strikes. Though the tiger claw can be used for both also.

Its not always a claw the talon anyway. Usually the tiger claw even after the shuto turns and tears.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Eagle Claw? Tiger Claw? - 01/11/06 07:22 PM

Faan Tzi Ying Jow Pai - Eagle Claw is a very complex study, taking over 25 years just to completely learn the system.

Just an FYI, Eagle Claw is becoming much harder to study. As I understand it Shum Leung in NYC has retird and his school in NYC has closed.

Re: Eagle Claw? Tiger Claw? - 01/12/06 09:04 AM

I thought he was talking about hand formations not complete systems it would take more then just a couple of paragraphs to cover all that.

All is not lost Sifu Lily Lau still teaches the Eagle Claw system.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Eagle Claw? Tiger Claw? - 01/12/06 10:08 AM

Lau Sifu is a somewhat different branch of eagle claw from what Shum Sifu taught, even though their roots merge.

Rothrock Sifu does have the complete system, but he's been ill of late, and whether the complete aret of Shum Sifu will remain is always a question.

He's had many students, but his art is extremely complex.

Re: Eagle Claw? Tiger Claw? - 01/12/06 12:40 PM

Eagle claw is Eagle claw its coming to the point where theres not much to choose from.

What about Tigers Claw? I know Hun gar is still going strong almost everywhere. Now here I don't see a lot of pure/only Fu-Jow-Pai or Hu-Zuhuan systems.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Eagle Claw? Tiger Claw? - 01/16/06 07:10 AM

Neko usually eagle claw uses the whole hand, and the thumb (probably the main power here) as well, they just aren't spread.

The claw with two fingers is the crane claw, and sometimes the eagle claw in specific forms of different styles. But not in the actual Eagle Claw system. Unless you are just saying that out of all the fingers, the foremost two fingers are the ones pressing the most.