Tai Chi Chuan: The Forms

Posted by: Landus

Tai Chi Chuan: The Forms - 12/28/05 01:01 PM

I have been studying Tai Chi Chuan for a about 2 months. I am currently training in the Short Form. I am hoping to ask my instructors this same question, although because of Christmas the classes have not been on for several weeks, so I will ask you.

What is the point of the forms? Such as The Single Whip or The Seven Stars Style?

What do they do? How would I use them in a fight? Do they come into fighting?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Tai Chi Chuan: The Forms - 12/28/05 02:45 PM

http://wongkk.com/general/table.html

Go to the Taijiquan (Tai Chi Chuan) stuff on the page (with special note to look at the link entitled "Combat Sequences of Wahnam Taijiquan in Slow Motion"). There are some clips and explanations of the self defence aspects used in Tai Chi. Not the style of Tai Chi you do probably, nor does it deal with the forms you mentioned, but hopefully will give you some idea.

Not much help maybe! But I tried anyway.
Posted by: Landus

Re: Tai Chi Chuan: The Forms - 12/28/05 02:48 PM

Thanks for helping anyway
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Tai Chi Chuan: The Forms - 12/28/05 03:04 PM

Not at all. Now if you just give me that cheque for a million dollars you promised me for answering your post, I'll be on my way.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Tai Chi Chuan: The Forms - 12/29/05 06:32 AM

Isn't the Seven Stars based on Yang?

Personally I found a difference between my TKD forms and TC forms in that I am continually moving while learning the TC. This is where it is useful. MY TKD forms were taught quite stiffly.

Now, many of the moves will have several applications which don't always become obvious until you are shown. For example, a whip coul;d turn into a block, a strike, or a trapping move.

A step could be a kick of a sweep or an avoidance of a sweep.

Enjoy your training.