dynamic tension wingchun

Posted by: rockydog

dynamic tension wingchun - 12/14/05 04:58 PM

I have located WC in my area.Dynamic tension is applied.What am I in for.any advice or comments apprecated.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/14/05 05:49 PM

In the building industry in which I work, WC stands for a toilet.

As such, wait until the need arrises, go to the toilet, sit down and then try to do nothing.

That will create all the dynamic tension you need.

(Hey it's been one hell of a day in the office and I'm just in that kind of a mood!)
Posted by: Natron

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/14/05 07:30 PM

Rocky

Basically the idea is that your hands/forearms are in constant contact with your opponents, allowing you to feel when they are going to strike, rather than see it.After awhile you'll be introduced to a game called Chi Sau where you'll really start to see how it all works. Not much you can do to get ready for it, just have a good attitude and steady as she goes. Best of luck with that.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/15/05 01:01 PM

What have they taught you so far about dynamic tension?
Its quite easy stuff.
Chi sau is great fun. You learn to relax your body so that eventually you can feel when your attacker is going to make a move.
You have only just started so you will probably not be familiar with this drill.
You will probably learn dan chi first which is one handed chi sau.
Good luck with it all and if you have any problems dont be afraid to ask. No one gets it first time

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/15/05 04:38 PM

Like Tezza says, it is a lot of fun, although you'll spend a good many of weeks getting your hands trapped and taking shots to the sternum .

Toughest part is you can't really practice it by yourself, so try and pick up as much as you can in class. Work hard on your first form (Siu Lim Tau sp?) as well. It will help you with your leg structure as well as reminding you to always keep your elbows in!
Posted by: rockydog

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/15/05 07:56 PM

thank you all for your help.Especially JohnL you sir are brilliant.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/16/05 07:35 AM

Question1: Do you really think that it is ok for someone who has never done wing chun before to start doing chi sau right away?
Wont their shapes go to pieces? How are you supposed to do a proper tan sau or jum sau if you are worried about keeping contact and being 'sensitive'.

Developing sensitivity is good, but there is no point IMO to develop it for its own sake. I think the only goal of WC is to destroy your opponent and I dont think that by learning chi sau you are going to be destroying anything.
A bit of a tangent, but the shapes are the most important part of WC in my opinion, the center line theory, and the breaking down of someones guard.
Very unlikely that you will link up with someone on the street. If someone throws a hook what you need is correct structure and speed to defend and attack, not sensitivity.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/16/05 09:39 AM

I understand what you are saying Magr but we are just explaining a bit about it for him.
We are not saying that he is going to learn it straight away because I didnt, I just learnt the basics at first.
I do think that it is a good technique to learn even if it isnt so good on the street because it teaches you to relax which I believe is a major part in the art and many other arts.

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/16/05 11:31 AM

Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more MAGr, chi sau is definitely not square one, and I don't imagine any respectable sifu is going to bring that up right when you walk in the door.

I think this all started because Rocky wanted to know what they meant by 'dynamic tension', so we were just trying to answer him on that.
Posted by: monji112000

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/16/05 01:04 PM

Quote:

Question1: Do you really think that it is ok for someone who has never done wing chun before to start doing chi sau right away?
Wont their shapes go to pieces? How are you supposed to do a proper tan sau or jum sau if you are worried about keeping contact and being 'sensitive'.

Developing sensitivity is good, but there is no point IMO to develop it for its own sake. I think the only goal of WC is to destroy your opponent and I dont think that by learning chi sau you are going to be destroying anything.
A bit of a tangent, but the shapes are the most important part of WC in my opinion, the center line theory, and the breaking down of someones guard.
Very unlikely that you will link up with someone on the street. If someone throws a hook what you need is correct structure and speed to defend and attack, not sensitivity.

Very good points..
CHi Sao isn't important at first.
I have never heard someone try to tell me that Chi Sao is for fighting. its a Game that allows people to use WC theory. Never in a fight will anything resemble Chi sao.. NEVER.

BUT, Chi Sao should teach you TIMING and REACTION things that will help you with a TAN SAO when covering against a hook.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: dynamic tension wingchun - 12/17/05 01:31 PM

That is not to say of course, as you said, that chi sau doesnt have its place in WC. It plays its part, in teaching sensitivity, reaction speed, hand coordination, and good transition and footwork. But its a piece of the puzzle and not even the most important piece IMO.