Speed Training

Posted by: ShaolinDragon

Speed Training - 12/10/05 10:36 PM

Hay I have seen in my kwoon pictures that have people training in different ways e.g. kicking trees to harden up there feet etc there is one inparticular that interests me it has a man in the middle of a 4 posts in the ground that makes a retangle and is joined by another 4 post at the top to make a box without walls. From these top posts it has sacks tied to rope and the man is standing in the middle of this hitting then away I figure this is used to train speed against multiple attackers does anyone no what this is called?
Thanks
Posted by: Taison

Re: Speed Training - 12/13/05 12:00 AM

I did this before, and to be honest it help very little except it helps you co-ordinate attack for multiple opponent without doing awkward turns that may make you off-balance. I find this exercise useless as in a situation where I'm surrounded I would not let myself be in the middle of the "crowd". This helps you co-ordinate and makes you aware of what's happening behind you cuz if you don't look, the sack behind you may come falling on you due to the pendelum motion.

-Taison out
Posted by: ShaolinDragon

Re: Speed Training - 12/13/05 12:35 AM

Hay thanks for the help but do you know what its called?
Thanks
Posted by: RonShively1022

Re: Speed Training - 12/13/05 10:14 AM

about 25-30 years ago, James DeMile wrote his books on Wing Chun Do. In one of his books, he mentions using a television set to train eye-hand coordination. Mr. DeMile has a background in both psychology and hypno-therapy, so this is a pretty good way of improving your reflex action.

Turn the TV set on, but mute the sound. Pick a channel with a program that has a certain amount of visible motion - where the scene changes: close-ups, foreground, background, switching between characters, etc. Stand in a comfortable fighting stance. Everytime there is a scene change you execute a strike- punch, or block/punch combination. The idea is to train your mind-your eyes to sense motion or movement.

This type of exercise is difficult at first, mainly because you will probably miss several scene changes. However, in time you will find that you can very easily predict when a scene change or motion will happen.

It might be easier to start out with a soap opera, or something with limited scene change until you learn to develop a rhythm. Once you feel that you are ready, choose an action type episode.

A couple of additional things

1) sometimes when you find yourself reaching for something, you find yourself actually executing a punch. One individual, while reaching for a drinking glass in the cupboard, snapped a reflexive punch and struck a row of glasses. I don't know if he was badly cut or not. But he did say that after a few weeks, he had more conscious control of his punches.

2) one of the problems people have is to get involved with watching the program instead of actually training. One method of preventing this is to change the channel every 10 to 15 minutes.
Posted by: Guy

Re: Speed Training - 12/14/05 09:06 PM

By speed training do you mean moving parts of your body faster, or do you mean speeding up your reflexe reaction time? The first way you train physically, the second way you train through meditation/concentraion/awareness exercises.

Guy

Re: Speed Training - 12/15/05 01:20 AM

Did you read his post? Well it got nothing to do with speed training, he was asking about that "surrounded by the sandbag" training thing. . .

-Taison out

Re: Speed Training - 12/16/05 03:51 PM

Yes I read the post, I also read the subject topic, "Speed Training" and that is what I am talking about. In fact I can talk a great deal about it. But if nobody cares, I won't say another word about it.

Guy
Posted by: monji112000

Re: Speed Training - 12/16/05 05:08 PM

Its a good idea the TV thing.. JMO.

Re: Speed Training - 12/17/05 12:33 PM

For speeding up ones reflexes the meditation/concentration/awareness exercise are best, but following this path you will find yourself becoming an ascetic without meaning to, because what you experience will absorb you. Just like those people who become addicted to Internet games.

But on a lighter note, one way I like to do it is; I play an electric seven string violin and one stand out characteristic of my playing style is how I learned to transpose music on the fly. And so when I go through a musical progression, I am transposing the next line as I am playing the first line. To do this not only requires mental quickness, but also greater mental RAM spaces. And the way I developed that greater RAM space is from how in the Chinese forms, especially the Long Shadow Boxing form, they have you doing three or four things at the same time, all of which must be performed with unbroken flowing continuity full of awareness. As you can see, for me music and martial arts have blended together, skills developed in one gives me a head start in the other.

Guy

Re: Speed Training - 12/18/05 09:26 PM

Maybe he was trying to type "Speed-bag training"?

-Taison out