Kungfu works

Posted by: syntrax

Kungfu works - 11/09/05 04:43 AM

Many people in my high school say that kung-fu and karate doesnt work and they are all lies and i just wanted to know that do they work if u fight someone and can u win if u use them??
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Kungfu works - 11/09/05 07:30 AM

You have to be confident in your training of the techniques you are taught and your ability to apply them. What it boils down to is whether or not you have been taught proper application of whatever MA you are learning.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Kungfu works - 11/09/05 07:43 AM

A knife doesn't work if you don't sharpen it often enough.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Kungfu works - 11/09/05 09:46 AM

Quote:

A knife doesn't work if you don't sharpen it often enough.

OOOHHH, good one!
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Kungfu works - 11/09/05 11:00 AM

its down to the instructor or the student not the art
Posted by: -orangesiscool-

Re: Kungfu works - 11/11/05 09:02 PM

But with only ingenuity and creativity, a blunt stick of metal can still leaves booboos. or what was the definition of "work? "
Posted by: etaks86

Re: Kungfu works - 11/12/05 06:50 AM

Well it's a hard question to anwser because i think most people misunderstand how martial arts were ment to be used in combat. for instance i don't think that super low stances or pre-set movements were ment to be used in actual combat i personally think that those things were only created to learn and practice in a simple and practical way also i think things like that are mostly for conditioning the body not so much to be used in combat. i think probably in combat they used their technices but in a free form sort of fluid way like they should be used. people watch to many movies. and people pay to much attention to movies and what they hear instead of useing their common sense and logical reasoning. but of course these are how i believe things, so it's just my opinions but many opinions can be true. i look at things in a very realistic and logical way so i bring that same train of thought into the way i do martial arts. so what i am really saying is basiclly wushu works depending on the person and how they adapt their wushu to work in real life and not how they see it in movies and or forms. I myself consider the way i think to be of jeet kuen do logic. i learn something and adapt it to work how i need it to not how someone else thinks it should be. so in that way i'm a non traditionalist when it comes to martial arts. i believe things can and should always be improved not stay the same much like how some people blindly followe styles and they don't think for them selves. and when i say that i only mean to whom it applies so take no offence with what i say after all this is a place that opinions are surposed to be shared. anyway people can take things how they want to i just wish people would be more evolving and adaptive. so that's some of my opinion on this subject i hope it helped or contributed in some contructive way. ok ttyl and peace to all.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Kungfu works - 11/12/05 10:13 AM

i think of it this way; if karate and kung fu didn't work, would you know about them?

Re: Kungfu works - 11/13/05 06:47 AM

You think about it that way and over look all logic of practical use just because they've been around so long people are blinded and believe the hype and the fiction that is traditional martial arts. no offence intended this is just how i see it because i look at things in a very realistic way. i think you should read over my last post as a whole and then the details then really try to consider and understand what i was saying but that's completely up to you. to me it's no secret that traditional martial arts are not that effective in real life in a self defence sort of way. now if you simplify these traditional martial arts down to the most basic and simple movements and idea's i believe they can work realisticly that way but not traditionally of course sometimes people can make them work in surtain conditions but i think 9 out of 10 times it will fail them in combat if used in a traditional manner. people are to attached emotionally and mental to their martial arts to see the truth and really understand. for instance and i am only talking about for self defence real life situations anyway for instance you take a two year pratitioner of tai chi, or let's say animal kung fu such as dragon, crane, snake, you know what i mean, anyways put this kung fu martial artist up against a two year kickboxer, i'm willing to bet that the kickboxer wins 8 or 9 out of 10 trys. the reason for this is that the kickboxer is useing the most basic and simple of technics and in martial arts we all know that simplicity equals effectiveness in combat. and if simplicity equals effectiveness in combat i would have to say that kickboxing or boxing would be the most effective tool for self defence of course you could add in some moves to give you more angles to work from but not many because all angles are basiclly the same anyway you either punch the person or you block it doesn't require much thought or you can always evade which isn't that easy in combat either so i go with aggressive offence, attack hard and fast before he does. and i am not at all for low stances their ok for building endurance but should never really be used in real life combat. i mean it's like this, yes you might could make some kung fu styles work ok if your good enough at them but even then their still unrealistic because they waste to much energy on useless technics. and i'm not saying that you can't win a street fight useing wushu but i am saying that it greatly lowers your chances. but it depends on the person your fighting to, if the person your fighting is ok at boxing then kung fu i don't think will be very effective on the streets but when i say kung fu i mean the traditional methods if you simplify your traditional martial arts and carve them in a way that makes them more suitable for the street then yes they can work effectively that way. and when i said all this i was talking about traditional kung fu. and i mean no offence but logically and realisticlly i've used such technics in real life in sparring and their not very effective a simple jab or hook would work much better. for instance you could take a traditional martial art and modify it and simplify it for self defence but you would need to costume modify it spesificly for self defence use then it could work well. things that do not change with time to adapt and reform should not remain they should be forgotten and something more pratical and more effective should be put in their place. but if you just practice tma for fun or you think they look cool by all means keep doing so but if you practice tma for self defence and nothing more then i believe that your causing a great injustice for yourself and for today's martial arts. because you must change with change. things that do not change with change become ineffective and useless. i do not have anything against tma's i love the tma movies and their fun to practice but for self defence reasons they are not good at all, unless you modify them for today's needs. the thing is on the streets if everyone used the same martial art you used to fight with they might would be effective but that's just not the case people don't use tma's on the streets. anywho i hope i didn't offend and i think if you realisticly and in a logical way try to understand everything i've said then i believe you would get my point. well peace to all and godspeed.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Kungfu works - 11/13/05 10:28 AM

etaks,

Woah! Please put some capitals, clear sentences and some paragraph breaks in your posts.

Reading what you just wrote is like looking at the ingredients list on a bottle of cleaing solution.

-B
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Kungfu works - 11/13/05 10:37 AM

Quote:

etaks,

Woah! Please put some capitals, clear sentences and some paragraph breaks in your posts.

Reading what you just wrote is like looking at the ingredients list on a bottle of cleaing solution.

-B

Yes, my eyes hurt
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Kungfu works - 11/14/05 06:31 AM

Yes it can work. As many of us have said, its all about the person it molds you into, and wether your able to react naturally in a fight-or flight (freeze) situation. Its not about the pre-set techniques embedded into your muscle memory, its about being natural and calm (being able to react).

Re: Kungfu works - 11/24/05 02:32 PM

perhaps you two just are not good readers. i had no problem reading it but that's just me. but it seems you used my bad writting as an excuse to pay no attention to the importantance of my post and well that's sad. so i wish you all the best and hope that tma's work for you.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Kungfu works - 11/27/05 02:43 PM

Of course you could read it, you knew what was in it!

I thought it interesting but I too found it hard to read. I have to teach students to use paragraphs etc and one of the reasons is just that.

Don't forget, these are only small letters.

Re: Kungfu works - 11/27/05 02:56 PM

I don't understand why you have this idea that TMA never change. If you look at the continuing amount of 'new' styles in Karate, KF, TKD, JJ et al then it is obvious such things are evolving. Even if you look at old photos of things like Shotokan or Judo, you find that stances and positions have changed over 50 years.

Low stances have their uses but you need to know when to use them. If you have just thrown someone and his mate comes for you, you might find yourself needing to adopt a low based stance (for instance).

The thing is many of the arts we now practice have been stripped down and simplified and now people are trying to find out things that have been lost because of the stripping down. In many cases this is where cross-training comes in, trying to fill in gaps which a system may have once had.

Finally, it is not a case of tailoring an art for SD, it is about training in that art with SD in mind.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Kungfu works - 11/27/05 10:27 PM

Quote:

Many people in my high school say that kung-fu and karate doesnt work

Equally many people came and challenged my old Sifu[now deceased], all left with a sore limb.

Seriously, is there no one out there that believes that Gong-fu can injure people?

As for Karate, I personally have had the breath punched outta me. One punch, and I do have a strong Abdomen, and I was down. Imagine a MT guy on the floor trying to breath. That's what happened to me.

-Taison out
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: Kungfu works - 11/28/05 03:34 AM

I've practiced both Gung-Fu/Kung-Fu/Gong-Fu (truthfully, I'm not sure how to spell it. So uhm... Whichever one! Heh.)and Karate.

I can honestly say both work equally well.

As my previous Sifu said. "A living thing must adapt and change, grow and shed dead cells. This is the same with martial arts."

A traditional martial art, Gung-Fu, Baqua, Tai-Qi, Karate... All of these things have evolved from one thing to another. They didn't just appear out of no where... Shira-Te and Naha-te are just two of the fighting stylings that created Karate... I don't know the background of the Chinese arts but I know they didn't just appear.

And I agree Etak, please break up the paragraph a little. Its helps to get your point across if you give it a professional or at least cleaner appearance. Makes it much easier for the person to read, and understand.

I think the people who say that TMA's don't work are the ones who don't understand the basis of their function isn't to suddenly become a fighting machine after 5 months... But, some people won't be happy with that.

Thats why there are McDojo's.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Kungfu works - 11/28/05 05:52 PM

Syntrax

Many people in high school say all kinds of stupid and ignorant things.

Mainly because they are still in high school--not the most stable of times if memory serves.

Its as good a time as any however to decide to do things you enjoy despite what the crowd "says."

Does karate and kung fu work?

Of course they do--unless you run into someone better.

Re: Kungfu works - 11/29/05 03:19 AM

If they're better and they also do KF/Karate then can we say KF/Karate don't work?
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: Kungfu works - 11/29/05 11:07 AM

Quote:

Many people in my high school say that kung-fu and karate doesnt work and they are all lies

Here is a general statement that any ignorant person will say about any martial art, or even anything else that they don't have a clue about. Its just talk, and as they say talk is cheap. Just ignore it.

These type of statements will also be made by ignorant practitioners of different arts that feel your art is inferior because of their own ignorance of it. You can try to argue with these people but most of the time it will be impossible to get across to them b/c they have convinced themselves that they are right and you are wrong. Usually its better to leave it. After all you shouldn't be taking your art to impress people, but for your own personal development and enjoyment. In other words it really doesn't matter what they think and say as it should have no effect on you or your training and only shows their inability to accept the world around them, and learn new things. In the end they are the only ones losing.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Kungfu works - 11/29/05 02:41 PM

i see what you're saying here but don't think that just because someone will practice a wide arcing movement with a flowery name will use it on the street. anyone with any common sense in a tma isn't going to do some large movements, they'll stick with the most trained basic blocks, punches and kicks they know best that are locked into muscle memory.

oh and kickboxing is based on karate i beleive, they just don't train the more complex moves in the kyu grades the way some karates might. i don't think i'm wrong in saying that wushu wasn't intended for the street but it can work as you said. tai chi is also very powerful, they may practise slowly but its prety well known that they move quickly when they need to, it just takes time to get there.

you need to remember that you have your whole life ahead of you.
Posted by: kronin

Re: Kungfu works - 12/28/05 03:55 PM

I remember teaching some young people self defense moves. These were really deadly moves that could break people´s spines and things. Some of them said that the moves wouldn´t work because they would just pull away as I was about to break their neck. I commented that I wouldn´t be doing it in slow motion, I wouldn´t be telling them what move I was doing and I wouldn´t be doing it gently if I was really defending myself.

The truth is that these arts were designed to hurt and maim people. Someone who is trying to show off with Kung Fu sparring with a boxer or something is not really using the art in the correct way. Someone who is trying to street fight without just ending it by destroying their apponent is not using the art the right way.

The truth is that you don´t fight once you learn these things unless their is no other option. When that is the case you go for broke and hope you don´t end up in jail.
Posted by: Guy

Re: Kungfu works - 12/28/05 05:44 PM

I notice that the most devastating techniques are really quite simple to do and don't require much skill. But it require a high level of skill from the martial artist to end a fight with a submission technique. I think submission techniques are the best way to go.

Guy

Re: Kungfu works - 12/29/05 06:27 AM

What do you do after the guy has submitted?

Re: Kungfu works - 12/29/05 03:10 PM

I let him go.

Guy

Re: Kungfu works - 12/29/05 03:40 PM

How far do you let him go before you turn your back on him?

Re: Kungfu works - 12/29/05 04:47 PM

Quote:

I use joint locks to be merciful. Just as a Tai Chi swordsmen would rather cut off his opponents sword hand thumb so he can never wield a sword again rather then killing him.

If he wants more of me, I will apply the next lock much more roughly. Any joint lock carried to the extreme can be used to destroy that joint you know. If you end a fight with a joint lock, they might not like it, but they will get over it. If on the other hand you end a fight by creating a permanent disability, then they will never get over it and will seek revenge against you the first chance they can get. Only they will use a gun against you the next time since you have proven they can't beat you without one.

One time I got in a fight in a park with two people at once. I was standing in water at the edge of a river when it happen. Once person tried to punch me, I dodged it and punched him back knocking him out, most of his body was laying in the river with his head and shoulder out of the water laying on the bank. I saw he wasn't going to drown so I went back at the other person again, but when he saw what I did to the first guy he didn't want anything to do with me. When the person I knocked out came to, I was watching him to make sure he won’t attack me again, but I saw him just go and stand in the back of the crowd that was watching us to see what I was going to do the other guy.

The person who chicken out of fighting me was a bigger person then me; he was a very disrespectful person to everyone. The very next day one of the people who was watching and saw what a wimp he was beat him up very bad, kicking him in the head with steel toe boots and all.

The point here is it has been my experience that when you demonstrate how you have the ability to do anything you want to them and they are powerless to stop you they will leave you alone. Bullies don't like to hassle with people who can beat them up.

Guy

Re: Kungfu works - 12/29/05 04:52 PM

Guy,

thanks, it was an interesting illustration. I have never (touchwood) been in that position, but I always wonder what I was supposed to do with someone once I got them in a hold if I didn't think they'd be nice when I let them go.

TREV:-)
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Kungfu works - 12/30/05 12:35 AM

I dunno what your schoolmates are trying to say here - Kung Fu and Karate are extremely general terms. Are they trying to say asians don't know how to fight? What's next, black people can't read? That's just as absurd a statement.

Just what do they think is effective in combat? Stuff they made up? Tell them most Kung Fu techniques were developed by the Chinese military, who, unlike them, are actually adults. Many nations(most nations if I'm not mistaken) teach fighting techniques very similar to Kung Fu and Karate, some are even derived from systems of Kung Fu and Karate.
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: Kungfu works - 12/30/05 11:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I use joint locks to be merciful. Just as a Tai Chi swordsmen would rather cut off his opponents sword hand thumb so he can never wield a sword again rather then killing him.

If he wants more of me, I will apply the next lock much more roughly. Any joint lock carried to the extreme can be used to destroy that joint you know. If you end a fight with a joint lock, they might not like it, but they will get over it. If on the other hand you end a fight by creating a permanent disability, then they will never get over it and will seek revenge against you the first chance they can get. Only they will use a gun against you the next time since you have proven they can't beat you without one.

One time I got in a fight in a park with two people at once. I was standing in water at the edge of a river when it happen. Once person tried to punch me, I dodged it and punched him back knocking him out, most of his body was laying in the river with his head and shoulder out of the water laying on the bank. I saw he wasn't going to drown so I went back at the other person again, but when he saw what I did to the first guy he didn't want anything to do with me. When the person I knocked out came to, I was watching him to make sure he won’t attack me again, but I saw him just go and stand in the back of the crowd that was watching us to see what I was going to do the other guy.

The person who chicken out of fighting me was a bigger person then me; he was a very disrespectful person to everyone. The very next day one of the people who was watching and saw what a wimp he was beat him up very bad, kicking him in the head with steel toe boots and all.

The point here is it has been my experience that when you demonstrate how you have the ability to do anything you want to them and they are powerless to stop you they will leave you alone. Bullies don't like to hassle with people who can beat them up.

Guy

Ah, the young folks. They likes their stories!
Posted by: kyokushinkai

Re: Kungfu works - 01/01/06 09:42 PM

I didn't really read all of the replies they were all so long, but anyway I think that the reason kids in your school and my school and most of the popluation think that these things dont work is because of all the kung fu and karate movies.. you know the ones where they jump a hundred feet in the air while beating the hell out of hundreds of opponents. It's things like that and all of the claims all over the internet that say punch like a jackhammer in a week learn ancient kung fu death technigues and so on. I think its that that ruined them.
Posted by: VigilanteSilver

Re: Kungfu works - 01/02/06 03:31 AM

Karate and Kung-fu are both effective fighting techniques, but half the beauty of being a martial artist is developing the guile and grace to not have to use your training to begin with. People sometimes think that it's a waste, but I for one used to get in fist fights over silly things in high school before I started kung fu, and now I avoid confrontations based on the fact that I have learned to carry myself with my head high without looking down my nose at people. With the correct mixture of good training, practice, respect, and confidence, any fighting style can be effective.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Kungfu works - 01/04/06 12:08 AM

Its PURE ignorance on people's part to say that TMA's don't work, at all...This comes from people who see movies, and think thats how you really use kung fu, from MMA's who submitted some junior without hardly any real fight experience etc. There is a VERY realistic side to TMA's, and its PAIN.

One of my classmates in my xingyi class did Hung Gar for 20 years, when they sparred, they sparred for REAL. Sometimes breaking eachothers arms when doing the direct counter (aka instead of blocking limb, you strike it). I would never want to get hit by him, strongest man I've ever met. Even in KARATE people used to train hardcore, even my TKD teacher was hardcore. They would spar full contact, let 18 wheelers run over stomachs, etc. (not that that matters, at all).

They don't exist now because of how DEGRADAED these arts have become both in US AND in China. Over here its commercialized, over there its wushu, and caters to tourists alot.

To say that these arts don't work, is IGNORANCE. Its like people who tried some fancy technique from some old kung fu movie in real life one time, got their ass beat, and came up with the half-assed conclusion that kung fu doesn't work, its just ridiculous.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Kungfu works - 01/25/06 11:18 PM

Next time they say martial arts don't work say" Prove it or screw off you little pissant!" lol Well maybe you shouldn't say that.

Re: Kungfu works - 01/27/06 05:20 PM

Quote:

Next time they say martial arts don't work say" Prove it or screw off you little pissant!" lol

When you see someone talking in this vain, them saying martial arts don't work or them trying to say what you are doing is impossible, it's a sure bet they are Mc Dojoites. In other words, someone who is a native or inhabitant of a Mc Dojo.

Guy
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Kungfu works - 01/27/06 07:00 PM

I used to work in Tech Support for a number of years. One time, when I was called out to a client who was complaining that her monitor didn't work. It was working one minute and the next minute the screen went blank.

First thing I did was check that all the cables were connected, and lo and behold, the power cord wasn't plugged in. Turned out the cleaners had come round earlier and vaccuumed under her desk, and in the process, must have dislodged the power cord from the mains.

Saying that something doesn't work and therefore is useless is kinda like saying my computer screen went blank, so the monitor must be dead, and therefore time to throw it out.

Whereas, the question that should be asked is "why didn't that work?", and the followup question of course is "how do I fix it?".
Posted by: Taison

Re: Kungfu works - 01/27/06 08:22 PM

Agreed!

Happened to my TV set. I tried pushing the button and nothing happened. Got really mad, when after a moment I looked behind the TV and the power cable was out.

Nowadays, I try to think before coming to decisions such as "this is useless because it doesn't work".

-Taison out

Re: Kungfu works - 01/28/06 01:53 PM

For me, figuring out how to make it work is the most interesting part of the martial arts. Especially the more exotic techniques of Chinese Martial Arts.

I believe if you want to be top level you have to be your own muscularity engineer. Exotic techniques requires exotic muscularity engineering. In the martial arts the end justifies the means.

Because I usually work out by myself, talking about training techniques is what I want to do the most. But before I get into that I want to have videos posted of myself to show the end result of my training. Then I can talk about how I did it.

I think it would be really cool if other people here posted videos of what they are talking about too. In this way we can compete against each other in forms competition no matter where on earth we are at. This would also make it easier to help each other out by giving training suggestions to make our forms even more perfect.

No matter what, as soon as I get a digital movie camera, I will be posting videos of myself and will discuss what I am doing, why I am doing it, and how I did it here and hope that others will follow suit. And if I am the only one who will do it, at least I found a really cool way to stay really motivated.

Guy
Posted by: lau_gar_master

Re: Kungfu works - 02/12/06 08:49 AM

kunfu does work im living proof. I was walking around school chating to some other students when this punk walks up and starts threatening me and my mates then he goes to hit me and i quickly slip in a side kick to knock him back and he runs off.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Kungfu works - 02/12/06 09:24 AM

Quote:

Many people in my high school say that kung-fu and karate doesnt work and they are all lies and i just wanted to know that do they work if u fight someone and can u win if u use them??

Are the people who say this any good at them?
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Kungfu works - 02/12/06 09:24 AM

Quote:

kunfu does work im living proof. I was walking around school chating to some other students when this punk walks up and starts threatening me and my mates then he goes to hit me and i quickly slip in a side kick to knock him back and he runs off.

Not impressed.
Posted by: Landus

Re: Kungfu works - 02/12/06 09:28 AM

Don't bother listening to them, they've probably got a bit of this arguement going around about martial arts not being effective on the streets. I agree with fisherman and I'll say I agree with etak because he has written a lot.