jacki chan questions

Posted by: TKDFighter89

jacki chan questions - 10/11/05 07:51 PM

What style of kung fu does Jackie Chan do? Wha dan is he?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: jacki chan questions - 10/11/05 08:08 PM

Dude,

Are you serious? He's a movie star...he trained in Chinese theatre and Chinese opera that incorporated a lot of martial arts techniques. I am unsure of formal training in specific arts.

In the Chinese systems that I am vaguely aware of, I have never seen Dan rankings. I am unsure if they give them at all, or something comparable, in performance art.

-B
Posted by: UmYang

Re: jacki chan questions - 10/11/05 10:24 PM

i dont think he knows kung fu. i read somewhere he knows karate but i dunno why hed know that lol

Re: jacki chan questions - 10/11/05 10:31 PM

He's definitely had some formal training in martial arts....
Posted by: JoelM

Re: jacki chan questions - 10/12/05 12:33 AM

It's called google, use it:

http://www.jackiechan.com/about_jackie/about_jackie.html

Re: jacki chan questions - 10/12/05 12:53 AM

forum=public place for discussion

I came here because I could not find what i wanted on google. I asked what style he uses. The website only says he does "kung fu". Read the question before criticizing.
Posted by: trevek

Re: jacki chan questions - 10/12/05 04:47 AM

Probably studied a variety of classical forms in the opera. He was sold to the film studios as a stunt man when his sifu's school folded. If his films are any evidence then he has studied a number of classical styles of Kung Fu.
Posted by: VS_Karateka

Re: jacki chan questions - 10/12/05 08:28 AM

I've read the book 'I Am Jackie Chan' it's a really interesting read, if I remember rightly his farther trained hin in MA from the age of about 3 then was sent to Opera School as his parents couldn't cope with him, he carried on training there. He abviously trained in all the opera stuff incl. acrobatics and one complemented the other. I'd suggest reading it as he's had a really intersting life....
Posted by: Taison

Re: jacki chan questions - 10/12/05 08:38 AM

Jackie Chan, the self-acclaimed master of "Chen-Long" style gong-fu. He's actually the only one in the world that does this style, and therefore he's actually called "Chen-Long" by Thais and Chinese.

Chen-Long is a mixture of the southern gong-fu that has nothing to do with qi-gong, and various weapon training such as the spear, sabre, chinese sword and nunchakus.

To be more precise, "Chen-Long" is a combination of many Cantonese arts and Shaolin such as Wing Chun, all the twelve animal styles of Shaolin and drunken boxing. Mostly, Jackie prefers to be of drunken or Wing Chun. Before when he was just a Hong Kong actor, he used to do a lot of weapon styles and then over-emphasized the drunken style.

Where he learnt all those styles, it's unclear but the weapon arts he learnt from Chinese Opera. To you people that don't know, Jackie is also a great singer in his native tongue thanks to the opera performance he did when in his teens.

-Taison out