Shorinji kempo

Posted by: Fireblaze

Shorinji kempo - 09/13/05 12:55 AM

What do you guys think of wsko org. I have looked at the sites about it and I think it's pretty deep. I want to be a good martial artist and fight in a kumite but thats later. Im still not very old. Still in early teens. So I have time to learn but things got in the way of my shorin-ryu karate training and tring to learn more than one style.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Shorinji kempo - 09/13/05 12:58 PM

Check this thread here. It discusses Shorinji kempo a bit.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15760550/an/0/page/2#15760550
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Shorinji kempo - 09/13/05 04:20 PM

SK is a good legitimate MA w/ international ties. You'll learn a wide range of striking, locking & throwing techniques.

I don't know if you plan to fight in a "kumite" like the movies but Bloodsport is pure fiction (despite what it says in the credits). Use the search function & look up Frank Dux - the guy the movie was supposed to be about. BTW "kumite" simply means sparring.

Also SK practitioners don't spar or have competitions. They practice technique sets, much like Judo kata & Randori (attack w/ response).

Go for it.
Posted by: Fireblaze

Re: Shorinji kempo - 09/13/05 07:10 PM

Does that mean that the style is too dangerous to spar with?
Posted by: trevek

Re: Shorinji kempo - 09/14/05 03:27 AM

I think the lack of kumite is more a philosophical thing. A lot of the set sparring idea is to do with the philosophy of SK (which is Japanese, btw). The founder had ideas of happy shaolin monks training together being a spiritual act (and no bad idea). Allegedly SK guys cleaned up the postwar Tokyo docklands.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Shorinji kempo - 09/17/05 04:17 AM

Remember that there is a difference between sparring & fighting. So to answer your question, SK isn't too dangerous to use in sparring but the joint locks & throws, punches & kicks will do as much damage as any other serious MA.

SK practitioners don't compete for much the same reasons Aikido-ka don't. SK is registered as a religion in Japan & many of it's highest instructors are also ordained monks (although I don't believe it's a requirement). And as a religion, they strive for peace. Hense cooperative technique practice.

In my experience, I never "threw myself" but I did drop or maneuver (a natural response) to reduce the pain. If you resist, expect a sprained, dislocated or broken joint.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: jailess

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/09/05 11:52 AM

Hi All,

Shorinji Kempo was founded in 1947 by Doshin So, in Tadotsu (Shikoku, Japan). The founder trained in traditional Japanese martial arts (Kendo, Jodo, Aiki-jujutsu, etc.) as well as northern China Kempo (the japanese pronounciation of Ch'uan fa/kung fu) - in fact, at one point he was ordained as the master of one of the Kempo schools at the Shaolin Temple before returning to Japan post-war.

As such, Shorinji Kempo is a composite martial art of all of Doshin So's teachings. It incorporates striking methods (punches, kicks, etc.), all to Kyusho points (pressure-points), as well as locks, pins, takedowns and throws (also incorporating Kyusho, but also balance-breaking). A third section, Seiho, is a restricted form of Shiatsu acupressure massage, and is probably the only part of Shorinji Kempo your flatmates will thank you for practicing on them.

We train in pairs as an homage to the Shaolin way of training: your partner should not try to beat you, but help you develop yours skills over time. Many take their belt gradings together, and some have been grading together for over 20 years!

Though competition-style sparring does not exist in Shorinji Kempo, Randori does. In Randori again the emphasis is not on winning: it is on applying the techniques you have learned, showing your partner's open areas/weak points, etc. If one is better than the other, they should help the other to develop their skills more. Contact is light-moderate, but should not cause permanent injury.

Regarding one poster asking, "Are the techniques too dangerous for Kumite", yes and no. Applied properly Shorinji Kempo strikes are to temporarily incapacitate, not break bones or kill. We strike to weak points precisely so you don't have to use bone-crushing strength (as a consequence, girls can practice SK against men very effectively, as opposed to say, Boxing or Muay Thai). On the other hand, if you don't yield to a wristlock, you're going to get your wrist broken (one Sensei I heard of started after someone demonstrated a basic wristlock on him and he tried to stand up to it - he broke his arm in 3 places).

At a higher level, you throw your partner, but your partner throws himself - so as not to have their wrist/arm broken.

Regarding Shorinji Kempo bring a registered religion in Japan, as of 2005 that is no longer true - religions cannot be practiced in public buildings, so SK has 'de-registered'. 'Doin' (religious form of Dojo) still exist, though, and are run by Kongo Zen priests (the form of Zen which accompanies Shorinji Kempo).

All in all, it's a very complete martial art, with emphasis on a peaceful approach to combat (ie avoid it at all costs, but when inevitable, be able to defend yourself completely). As you can tell from the length of this post, I love it! I highly recommend it.

A Google search should reveal a Federation in your country. If not, feel free to email me at jailess@hotmail.com, and I'll endeavour to help you find one.

Yours, -Jame.

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/09/05 02:11 PM

Alreet Jame, hooz it goin' pal?

Ah once did a couple o' seshunz at th' Glasgae uni club. It weez great, bit ah wuz daein TKD at th time an didnae want tae mix the trainin' as ah'd no long started TKD. Interviewed a couple o' th ladz fur university radio tae. Altho' mebeeze a wee bit afore yeer time? (1994-5)

Best iv luck tae yeez aal.

TREV:-)
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/10/05 04:00 PM

trevek,

I didn't know you could speak and write Scottish?
Posted by: jailess

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/11/05 02:36 PM

I must admit I am impressed, it feels like I'm in Glasgow reading your post! Except It's raining at the moment... and someone in a football top just walked by... and everyone's miserable... Oh, I'm in Glasgow. Damn.

If there are any questions about SK, I'll do my best to answer them, or refer to my sensei if I don't know them...

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/11/05 04:22 PM

Ma daa's Scottish an' half his family live in Canada (ah've nae idea where aboots). Lived aboot ten years in Glasgae masel'. Studied fur four years at GU.

Aye, ah remember the rain aal reet.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/12/05 04:40 PM

Quote:

I must admit I am impressed, it feels like I'm in Glasgow reading your post! Except It's raining at the moment... and someone in a football top just walked by... and everyone's miserable... Oh, I'm in Glasgow. Damn.

If there are any questions about SK, I'll do my best to answer them, or refer to my sensei if I don't know them...

ah theres only one thing to do in glasgow....get outta there!!!

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/14/05 05:47 AM

Funny, archeological evidence suggest Glaswegians emigrated from West Yorkshire
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/14/05 04:32 PM

spoil my fun. then again that wouldn't surprise me.

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/15/05 08:33 AM

Seriously tho, I believe the oldest examples of Welsh language are from W. Yorks. I seem to remember reading strathclyde would have spoken Welsh rather than Gaelic, Dumbarton being "Fort of the Britons".
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/19/05 11:47 AM

Dont want to be one to ruin an entertaining conversation gentleman, but this pertains to MA's how?

I will be ok if you throw in a few references to Welsh combat techniques or Scottish battle tactics. Help me out a little as a mod for this thread guys, lol.

Re: Shorinji kempo - 10/19/05 01:55 PM

Well north England, where Yorkshire is, is noted for an ancient form of wrestling, Backhold (Cumbrian Westmoreland)and Britain also had several forms of jacket wrestling (in fact Jigoro Kano may have been influenced by watching Cornish wrestling, so my coach once told me).
Scotland also has Backhold, which may have travelled northwards or vice-versa. The Brythonic languages probably travelled downwards but the question is whether backhold was a Celtic or Germanic style originally, so where did it originate in the British isles and which direction did it travel?

Glasgow, being home of a great Shorinji Kempo club is a good place to cross-train in Backhold. Several of the guys are also Judoka and occasionally go into the university Judo club, so the SK guys could meet them if they liked.

Is that good enough?