Would like to start Kung Fu

Posted by: Tigerlily896

Would like to start Kung Fu - 08/24/05 01:16 AM

Hello,
In June I decided I would like to go into martial arts, so i joined a local ATA taekwondo.... turns out, Im too poor (college student) to keep up with all the fees and such, and Im a lil bothered by the fact I was told that I could be a black belt in 2 years (shouldnt it take longer than that?)
Anyway, I am trying to find another MA that isnt so... Money Money Money, and "lets churn out black belts". I came across a site for Shaolin Do Kung Fu:
http://www.shaolin-do-kungfu.com/
But I have read some of ya'll posts on here, and a lot of you do not think very highly of Shaolin Do Kung Fu... Why is that? I dont want to get into another situation where Im asked to pay $50 for ea belt test and huge long term contracts. I just want to learn some martial arts without going poor!!
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 08/24/05 08:57 AM

Hi Tiger, first, welcome to the forum. Next, do not base your decisions too heavily on any one else's opinion. Go to the school, watch how classes are taught, speak with the instructor to get a feel for his approach to his Art and how he teaches. Once you know this information, you should have a better idea of whether or not it is a place or style you wish to train in.
People's opinions are going to vary about different styles. Do not let that turn you away from an Art. The best thing to do is to check it out for yourself to see if the Art, the instructor, and the school are right for you. Every Art has something beneficial to offer.
Good luck with your search and whatever you decide, as long as you start training, I know you will benefit from it.

You are right to be concerned about long term contracts and expensive belts tests. Also, I would be a little concerned too over a school that promises black belts in a certain time frame. These are usually red flags telling you that it might be in your best intrest to train somewhere else.

Just a thought.

Good luck,

Scottie

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 08/24/05 08:59 PM

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! I called the school today and I got a ton of info, and I am also making plans to visit the school soon.
It's really hard (especially for someone like me who knows nothing about it) to sort through everyones opinions about different styles of martial art. I guess what is most important is if it makes me happy, gives me a good workout, and the people are honest.

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 08/25/05 01:47 PM

My thoughts exactly. Have fun, learn some helpful techniques and mental skills, and grow from the experience. Good luck with your training.

Scottie
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 08/25/05 03:27 PM

Sorry, I have to weigh in here. Shaolin-do appears to be an eclectic art of some nature incorporating northern and southern kung fu styles as well as some Japanese MA elements.

The lineage of the art is.....questionable to say the least. Sin The's claims for his experiences in training are also questionable (as a 13 y/o BB he had to spar 7 other people at once - blindfolded. Riiiiiight....)

I would definitely check other schools before deciding to go with any one in particular.

Especially Shaolin-do. While there may be good instruction at that school, my experience has been that organizations that start from BS tend to teach and perpetuate BS.

Check around.

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 08/25/05 07:57 PM

Actually in doing my research I came across another place that says that they teach Shaolin, not Shaolin-Do. The gentleman said that he wasn't going to say anything about Shaolin-Do, because if it's not nice you shouldn't say it. Which I thought was good that he didnt want to talk trash.

Anyway, he said that they teach Northern Shaolin, and another kind that they teach to police officers (sorry couldn't understand the name he was saying and didn't want to ask again )
Has anyone had experiences with this kind of kung fu? I know all things that will be said are biased... but still would like to hear both sides of anything and then make my own judgement.
Also, he said that there was a belt system, but it was only white-blue-black. The prices were much better (that what ive been quoted for the Shaolin-Do place, and the ATA TKD) although there were contracts that had to be signed.
Also... no black belt club, which is good. And belt testing fees are $10.

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 08/28/05 11:11 PM

Hi Tigerlily,
I have studied Northern Shaolin Kung Fu and enjoyed the training, conditioning, and flexibility that it affords you. It was a great deal of fun and many of the techniques I learned there I have carried onto to other styles with me. It is a solid style with a rich background and there are many great instructors.
The school sounds good also. The belt system is different from the one I trained in but I like this one (your prospective school's) better. Beginner, intermediate, and skilled are really the only levels you need, IMO. And 10 dollar belt tests? Can't beat that. Sounds very reasonable and the instructor shows good judgment and tact by not bad mouthing the other school. That was basically my reason for not saying anything negative about Shaolin-Do. I have heard many comments and read a few things but I try not to prejudge anyone or anything. I try to give everyone a fair chance and make up my mind myself about things so i figured you deserved the same opportunity.

Good luck with your training,

Scottie
Posted by: Jing

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 08/31/05 12:35 PM

The only thing I owuld do is ask about his lineage. Not only doesit show legitimacey but by knowing the lineage it might help for you to learn more about the culture and the begginings of the syste, See if it is really for you. Me personally, I am in a southern style...and have never left it.
Posted by: ninjax

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 04/13/06 10:34 PM

Tiger, would you be so kind to share a link, or the name of the school, I am looking for a place to do Shaolin.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 04/14/06 10:50 AM

ninjax -

Here is a Google link to MA schools in Omaha:

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q=martial+arts+schools&near=Omaha,+NE&sa=X&oi=local&ct=title
Posted by: ninjax

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 04/14/06 04:31 PM

Thank you for the link, but alas, soon I will be going off to college and have been considering University of Texas at Austin, or a bunch of other schools. I really like UT, and if this school were nearby that would just seal the deal.
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 04/15/06 02:00 AM

if you go to UT there is a very well respected teacher of shuai jiao named john wang there, i can hook you up with some contact info if you want.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 04/15/06 08:34 AM

John Wang is great! If I were down there I would seriously reccomend paying him a visit.
Great recomendation Ashe.
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Would like to start Kung Fu - 04/15/06 01:24 PM

yeah, much love for john. he's always willing to share, which shows confidence!