Choy Li Fut

Posted by: imcrazy

Choy Li Fut - 08/04/05 03:43 AM

Well I came across a website for a school that offers this in my area. At first I didn't pay much attention, but after reading a bit up on it, it sounds very intresting. Anyhow just thought I'd see if anyone here has heard of it and can provide me with whatever they know. I will be doing more research on this in the next few days (when I have the time) and will let anyone interested in on what I find.

http://www.choylifut.ca/choylifut/history/default.htm

From the website:
Although known as a Southern system, Choy Li Fut 蔡李佛 kung fu has its origins in both Northern and Southern China. The system's founder, Chan Heung 陳享, had three teachers, two from the South and one from the North. Choy Li Fut is one of the few kung fu styles that is strongly influenced by both Northern and Southern Chinese kung-fu, combining the long arm techniques of the South with the quick agile footwork that characterizes Northern China's martial arts.
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/04/05 06:55 PM

CLF is my core style. I have been doing CLF four 14 years. Any questions I will try to help you the best I can.

Kevin
Posted by: Wonton

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/05/05 01:10 AM

WOOOOTT choy lee fut !!!!!! is great .... well at least for me , i didn't do much of a study on the art. but i got hooked on it the first time i try it.. so u just have to try it personally... u must have tat pasion for this art to discover more about movements and the smoothness of a form.. ummm i can say so much , but only from my point of veiw and might not be right, soo just TRY IT !!!!!

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/05/05 04:54 PM

Excellent I'm glad to see a practitioner here who has learned it for many years!

Well where to start? Ok first question, I've heard Choy Li Fut uses grappling, how integral is grappling in this system (is it a major part)? Second, the thing that got me really interested is when I heard that it combines the footwork of the northern styles with the arm techniques of the South, how well are these 2 aspects implemented? Does it present a good balance, or does it lean to one or the other? Also I have noticed that pressure points seems to be something that is mentioned about the art often, as if its one of the strong points of it, is there a lot of pressure point techniques? And the last question, this art seems to cover a lot of different aspects from what I have read (from striking to grappling), do you think it does a good job? or does it suffer from "Jack of all trades master of none" syndrome?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't know much about this art yet and I am very interested. I firgured the above questions would be good to ask of someone with actual experience in the art. I look foreword to your response.

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/05/05 09:17 PM

A lot depends on the lineage and instructor. In our CLF class we did a lot of grappling. We had a couple all state wrestlers in class so is was always fun to test your skills. For myself I don't by to much into the northern southern debate because not all gung fu is one or the other. I think it has a very good balance of quick footwork and strong punching. One thing is for sure and that is the footwork is not static at all. I trained in boxing almost as long as I have studided CLF and found the two to compliment each other very well. There is pressure points taught but through more of a chin na way. I don't believe it to be a "jack of all trades". It just does a good job covering all aspects of fighting. For myself I feel quite prepared against most kind of attacks. Be wary of "Flower Fists"(people who look good doing forms but cannot fight. To dang many of these in gung fu).

Give it a try. I hope your experience with CLF is as rewarding as it has been for me.

Kevin

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/05/05 09:31 PM

Well thanks for your response! You were very helpful!

I am seriously thinking about taking this art (found out the school that teaches it isn't to far away), however I still have to look into a few other schools in the area. Is there any advice you could give me, in regards to training in preperation for this? If I was to take it I'd be starting in fall. Thanks again!

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/05/05 09:36 PM

What I find most exciting about CLF is the art is made to fit the individual and not the other way around. If I type to long my computer gives me fits, so on longer posts I have to do it in phases.

Kevin

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/05/05 09:39 PM

Quote:

What I find most exciting about CLF is the art is made to fit the individual and not the other way around.

Hmm thats interesting... Would you be able to elaborate on that? (or are you doing that as I type this )

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/05/05 09:54 PM

The art will take your strengths and use them to your best benifit. I went to a couple of schools where the instructor's trained at the same place my instructor trained. Each instructor had their own strengths. One was very heavy into chin na, the other on quick attacks to set up the bigger blows, and my instructor was more of a smash and bash.

Although they all learned the same art each took his own "element" and ran with it. All of them taught these same elements but each were more refined in there given areas. My instructor taught quite a bit of chin na but not as detalied as one of the other teachers who had a 5th degree BB in Akido prior to CLF.

Kevin

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/05/05 10:12 PM

I should add that when my instructor taught chin na he would tell us that it was not his strong suite but that he needed to show this to us because one of us might find it to be what our strength was. Now for myself I thought he was very good at it but not as good as explaining it. Thats why I like it when people get a chance to train at other schools within their same style because each teacher has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Kevin

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/05/05 11:03 PM

Thats awesome!
The school i'm currently looking at is:

http://www.choylifut.ca/choylifut/schools/school2/default.htm

That whole site will tell you about the organization it belongs to etc. If you know something questionable about the way they teach or so forth please let me know. Anyhow you've been a great help! Thanks!
Posted by: DaiSiHingChuck

Re: Choy Li Fut - 08/11/05 06:36 PM

Greetings, I am Dai SiHing Charles Abraham of the Winnipeg Plum Blossum Choy Li Fut Centre. I am very pleased to hear of your interest in our Art. I will share with you some of the knowledge of our System based on my humble experiences in the Art and some of the history imparted on me by my SiFu ( TaiSiFu Niel McRitchie). I hope this not only helps you to better understand Choy Li Fut, but allows a way for you to experience something tuely wonderous, something that is yours to be had if you would so wish it!
Our Gung Fu Father, Master Chen Hueng divised his 'system' of Martial Arts based on his experiences in gung fu. He used these techniques to his victory. And after MUCH contemplation, and even MORE practice he grave life to the Art we would come to Know as Choy Li Fut. From his Uncle Master Chan Yen Woo we recieved our open hand techniques and palm strikes. Stick Hand and inate sensitivity and reaction skills. Palm techniques with "inch power" and "soft power" finger tip strikes. Angular and short footwork on attack and defense. Buddha Palm techniques such as Gong jeung and Chaan Jeung. Famour for the Buddha Palm form.
From Master Lee Yau San we recived our techniques like gwa,kup, jong, Jin Choy. He emphisized techniques that draw power from deep rooted stances, with lightning fast and powerful hand strikes. Counter-offensive primarily, and evasive skills on defense.Specialized in clinging and covering defensive skills.Ferocious attacks, with penetration and determination. Famous for the Lohan Fook Fo and Chong Kuen (long fist) forms.
And Monk Choy Fook, From here we get our Northern Feet! His training emphisized short, medium and long range techniques, with nimble foot work and Dynamic kick from the Northern Shaolin. Emphisizedstance penetration, a blend of soft/hard techniques, and relaxation during delivery of technique. Compound attack and defense and syncopation of limbs. Taught Chan meditation and hit medicine. Famous for Sup But Lohan internal exercises.

Choy Li Fut therefore has a VAST arsenal, made to match the practitioner's dynamic and complex nature.And yes friend we most definately incorperate Chin na (seizing or bone breaking techniques), aka Grappling. With ground techniques as well as stand up grapple's. Choy Li Fut Also offers internal sets and has a WIDE range conditioning drill and weapon forms. It doesn't fall victem to the 'jack-of-all-trades master of NONE' syndrome that you speak of , nor does it suffer from the OVER SPECIALIZATION of many of the style's I have seen and experienced. Choy Li Fut can be started at 6 or 60. It can be practiced throughout your whole life. Choy Li Fut reduces stress and fatigue while promoting vibrant health and wholeness of Mind and Body. It a great means from which to seek not only perfection in combat, but perfection of 'being'! It achieves this by offering up a SYSTEM from which to learn from rather than a STYLE . If you so wish to experience Choy Li Fut, I would gladdly and honorably offer my service's as a guild into the kwoon, into the World of Choy Li Fut! Until you've seen the awsome beauty of the Plum Flower and smelt from it's pettle's ...my words no matter how eligant or scholorly will only fall shy.

My E-Mail address is thorodinsson@msn.com, please allow me to anwser any of your other question's about our Art, and once again let me invite you to come and experience Choy Li Fut for yourself.

Thank you all for your time, I humbly submit my response .