Sho Shu Kung Fu

Posted by: BulldogTKD

Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/03/05 01:25 PM

I am thinking of joining a new school but I need some information on this style. Has anyone heard of this style and can you point me to more information on the web. I did a search and didn't find anything may be I am spelling it wrong.
I talked to the instructor and the school is going to be new and will open soon but I would like to check out more information on this style if I could befor I commit.
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/04/05 01:20 PM

Well are there any more details you know? Cause I think you are right in saying you spelled it wrong. But if there was anything more that you could share, it might make it easier at identifying the name.
Posted by: Da_Man

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/04/05 01:52 PM

"sho shu" is REALLY broad. Considering that sho by itself can mean 10+ different words. And even more in different dialects. I can think of around 20+ with only mandarin and cantonese. Stating the dialect of chinese helps us identify it better. If its possible, you can show a picture of the actual chinese characters. That is the most accurate way I can help identify what you are talking about hehe.

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/04/05 11:47 PM

Thanks guys for your reply. I don't know much of kung fu because I have been in Tae Kwon Do for some time now. I have talked to someone who studies under the instructor but he is a Tae Kwon Do guy too and doesn't know much of this style but he said I have the spelling right. I will try to talk to the instructor more about this style but I am concerned about offending him if I question him to much about the origins of his style.
Posted by: 18lohans

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/06/05 01:57 PM

I know what you mean by offending. But consider that you're 'shopping' for schools right now. He should understand that you would want to seek more infomration about the style. Specially since the school is new.

Usually, interested people get to check out a class, to get a feel for the style of training, and the art itself. Because the school is new, you won't get to do this. So there should be nothing wrong in asking stuff like, what kind of techniques does the style emphasize, what does the name stand for, etc.

Better to ask now than when you become an actual student.

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/08/05 12:39 PM

Thanks for your input. I think that I will go to the first class and ask for mor information on this style. I just hope that he will not take offence.

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/09/05 01:09 PM

Maybe the spelling you were looking for was "Shou-soua" found it in another topic by Neko456:

Quote:

The New kickboxing style Shou-soua seems forminable

That it?

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/11/05 09:18 PM

Ok I talked to the instructor today and the spelling is:
Shou Shu and I am doing more checking. I did watch him teach a friend of mine today and the style looks very effective. If anyone has more info on this style I love to here from you!

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/22/05 12:10 AM

Well with the new word you gave I did some new searching. And well many red flags went up within a short period of time.... thats not good.

Alot of this has to do with the fact that they claim to be a chinese art yet it was created by an American (not always bad per say) and has many elements common to Japanese arts.

As well I have read oppinions from other people on seperate forums and it seems many believe it is a Mcdojo.

Also from what I have seen I don't like the high claims they make of their style and some statements they make about it. For example (straight from their page):
Quote:

Blue Belt: When you reach the high blue belt level. You will be moving 3-5 time faster then you can now and will able to defend yourself against 2-3 people at the same time.

Umm sorry... no...

Quote:

Black Belt: When you reach the black belt level you will be 100% reactive, you will not have to think at all, and it will be as if the opponent is in slow motion.

LOL!

http://www.mooreschinesemartialarts.com/ <-- seems to be the page thats the center of it all sort-a-speak

See all this stuff screams Mcdojo. But as always you must see for yourself (maybe even bring a friend more knowledgable than yourself in this area along, if possible). Anything I can offer you will be purely based on internet info and not experience.

In conclusion: Be very wary of this school and its claims. I'd be rather skeptical.
Posted by: MrChoppyMan

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu *DELETED* - 08/22/05 12:33 AM

Post deleted by RazorFoot

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/22/05 12:42 AM

Umm... WHAT?

Ya and take my advice, try to make sense next time you post.

Oh and BTW you are now on *TROLL ALERT* status. Keep posts like that one up and I'm pretty sure this forum will not be for you. I'm off to alert the mods....

EDIT: Just checked choppyman's profile, definate troll. Say goodbye choppyman.
Posted by: MrChoppyMan

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu *DELETED* - 08/22/05 12:50 AM

Post deleted by RazorFoot
Posted by: JoelM

Attention Members - 08/22/05 01:11 AM

Do not respond to trolls.
Posted by: dmartin

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 08/22/05 04:13 PM

Hi Bulldog.

I've studied Shou Shu (Moore's Chineese Martial Arts) for about 5 years. It's definitely not a "sport" but very effective for defense. I've seen plenty of students from other styles join and be amazed and what is taught. Having a open-mind and trying to unlearn what you think you know is usually the hardest part.

I don't represent the style but as I mentioned I was a student for sometime before life managed to keep me away.

Curiously, what school are you looking at joining?
Posted by: deadlyartsmaster

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 09/14/05 07:08 PM

Shou shu is the biz. Da Shifu is almost the highest scoring kung fu masters in top trumps. He learnred Tracy Kempo and repackaged it as an excotic da deadly, awesome marketing skills.
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1372/bullshidoplayingcardalmoore3yy.jpg
Posted by: mantis1997

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 09/19/05 04:05 AM

i agree with deadly it is tracy kenpo...but it is very effective you just need to wade through the bs it is effective and just like every other art claims to be the"deadliest and most effective"it is good stuff though. as far a mcdojo dashifu was a very savvy business man(who shouldnt be)but they do still teach a very viable style try it for yourself and dont listen to any of the rhetoric on these boards a good barometer is to look at the abilities of the black belt(instructors) i know most of these guys to be very capable fighters which is usually how i rate a martial art.
Posted by: mantis1997

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 09/19/05 04:09 AM

just curious where are ther opening a new school at?
Posted by: massattack

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 09/19/05 09:13 PM

ive studied Shou Shu for a few years now.

Shou Shu is a fighting style revolving around 7 animals, Bear, Tiger, Mongoose, White Crane, Mantis, Cobra and Dragon.

each animal has its own motions and creates power differently

when all 7 animals are mastered, you have no weaknesses

from white belt to black belt you learn all the Bear material and a little bit about all the other animals.

once you get your black belt, you learn Tiger to get your 2nd degree black belt, then you learn Mongoose to get your 3rd dgree black belt, etc etc

Da Shifu Al Moore Sr. learned the art in China but it was not called Shou Shu. Shou Shu is the title he named it after he changed the way it was taught to students. when he learned the art, he learned one motion at a time, there where no techniques like in Kenpo. he tried to teach others one motion at a time but students didnt like learning this way so after he befriended Ed Parker and saw how Parker taught Kenpo, Da Shifu took Kenpo techniques and added the animal motions that he learned in china calling the art Shou Shu.

heres the Official Shou Shu site
http://www.mooreschinesemartialarts.com/

this site talks about the animals even tho the people at Sheng Chi ARENT with the Moores anymore
http://www.shengchikungfu.com/beasts.htm
Posted by: massattack

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 09/20/05 04:23 PM

heres the Official Shou Shu forum www.shoushu.info
Posted by: Panther

Hello - 09/28/05 01:51 AM

Hey im a student at the Modesto School, there are not 2 schools in Modesto, if your intrested plese cheak out one of the Moores Shoshu schools and the Shing Shufu will give u the info on the diffrent schools. and for future viewers, im looking for Shefu plogger, if anyone knows him message me, (i know his brother and hes bugging me to track him down), so thank you for reading and a big salute to Da Shufu!

We are a Chinese marshall arts, and are the best, if u get into tykwando you are wasteing your time, SHoshu combindes all the basic fighting styles, Mantis, Dragon, Monguse and so on, so if u were looning for a local CA school, look into Shoshu! Note: Moores, SHoshu is ONLY in CA...... for now i think, im not sure if we will be expanding.

Thank you for reading!
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Hello - 09/28/05 07:34 AM

Panther,
If you wish to post here to introduce a topic, ask a question, or find information, that is fine. This is not a site to advertise for a school, system, or individual. Please refrain from stating a style is "best". There is no such thing as a best style for everyone. Whatever works for the individual is the best style for that individual.
Posted by: Dannyl_K

Re: Hello - 02/14/08 04:21 PM

I take shou shu as well, and it irritates me that so many people bash the art in there forums just because of what they read on "wikipedia" or some other website.

"oh it doesn't have a consistant history"
"oh why do they have belts if its kung fu"

Is that really so important to you? When you explain your art thats usually not the first thing you talk about, its what you learn.

Try it, I find it to be very, very effective and all the concepts of why we do what we do makes sense.

I'll never judge your art till I've tried it, and even then if its not for me I won't bash it because you do something different - I just won't study in that art. Fair is fair

Stop the bashing (noting: kung fu magazine forums, bullshio forums, to name some)
Posted by: She_Hing_Ward

Re: Sho Shu Kung Fu - 06/10/09 02:33 AM

I have been studying this art for quite some time off and on and I am also a Asst Teacher (Red Belt). I tried a few other arts early on when I was in High School but ended up taking Shou Shu. Since then I have been to Iraq and back and was on a Special Ops team. I have had to use this in real life combat situations and it worked great. Im still here and that is what counts to me. I really love this art and will continue to study it. I believe any martial arts back ground is better then none so if it is not in your area then my only advice is to find an art that can be used in Real life situations and not just for scoring points in a competition.

Have a good one
Posted by: Ames

Re: Hello - 06/10/09 02:01 PM

mantis said:

Quote:

but it is very effective you just need to wade through the bs it is effective and just like every other art claims to be the"deadliest and most effective"it is good stuff though.

Why are so many people willing to 'wade through the b.s.'? I hear this often, but still can't figure it out. It's as though some assume that in order to study martial arts, there must be a large amount of accompanying b.s. This is simply not so. Go find a place that is actually able to stand on their own, without having to concoct a false history, or that doesn't try to string you along (to make more money) with all kinds of b.s. teachings. Especially stay clear of places that make gradiose promises as to the deadliness you will acheive once you have paid thousands of dollars to get to blackbelt level.

Dannyl said:
Quote:

I take shou shu as well, and it irritates me that so many people bash the art in there forums just because of what they read on "wikipedia" or some other website.

"oh it doesn't have a consistant history"
"oh why do they have belts if its kung fu"

Is that really so important to you? When you explain your art thats usually not the first thing you talk about, its what you learn.

Hear's what irritates me. What irritates me is when people attempt to subvert the fact that their teacher is a liar, that the system they teach is not what they say it is, and who are doing this primarily for cash, come on to forums and simply say "Oh that's not important, what's important is what you learn".

And what have you learned exactly? A b.s. history, along with techniques that may or may not be functional? Well, way to go. Tell me, if what is so important in this system is the validity of the techniques, then exactly where have these been tested in a fully resistive environment. Please provide actual evidence, because as it stands, I won't take as evidence empty words, because you're teacher has been shown to be a liar, so I distrust whatever he has to say.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I'm getting a little tired lately of, whenever an art is shown in a poor light, suddenly 'students' materialize out of the blue, offering empty platitudes, and writing posts that amount to nothing more than advertising.

Quote:

Try it, I find it to be very, very effective and all the concepts of why we do what we do makes sense.

Okay...and what are those 'concepts' exactly? Why can't I learn them somewhere else that is not predicated on lies and misinformation?

Quote:

I'll never judge your art till I've tried it, and even then if its not for me I won't bash it because you do something different - I just won't study in that art. Fair is fair

Utter nonsense. Sorry this forum allows free speech. No one is bashing you're art. What is happening is folks are suggesting that you're art has a lot b.s. associated with it, and you have not attempted to clarify that at all.

Quote:

Stop the bashing (noting: kung fu magazine forums, bullshio forums, to name some)

Offer up some specific evidence/ points as to why the negative points raised regarding your art are incorrent, and the 'bashing' will stop. Till then, expect thinking people to call b.s. when they see it, and especially expect those who actually care about the state of the martial arts in 25 years time to attempt to counter this b.s. in public forums such as this one.

--Chris

Re: Hello - 06/18/09 02:55 PM

Good Morning,

I did offer some information of the effectiveness of the art and as I stated I have used Shou Shu in real life combat situations both involving weapons and no weapons. I used it exactly the way I was taught to use it and that is in close mainly hand to hand combat without going to the ground. If you have been involved in real life or death combat situations you know that going to the ground is the last place you want to be unless under fire. Most of my combat situations lasted between 3 to 6 seconds only because of breaking bones and fighting dirty if you will. That is my true life experience with the art of Shou Shu.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Hello - 06/18/09 11:33 PM

Quote:

If you have been involved in real life or death combat situations you know that going to the ground is the last place you want to be unless under fire.

If you have been involved in a real life fight, you'll know that going to the ground is not always a choice.

Re: Hello - 06/21/09 04:02 AM

I do agree with you on that and Im sorry if I was not clear on what I was saying. What I was getting at is you do not want to stay on the ground for a long period of time.

I was really just trying to say that I have studied Shou Shu and I have used it in Real Life Combat situations on a Non-Compliant Boarding team in the U.S. Coast Guard in Iraq and the art it self does work.

Just wanted to voice my experiences with the art. I was not trying to say that ground fighting techniques should not be taught because like you said in some situations it is not an option.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Hello - 06/21/09 07:24 PM

I think the main thing here is that people aren't saying "it doesnt work" but asking more about what the art is about. Saying that a martial art is fight effective doesnt give people a look at what the art is about. We're talking about details about the kind of principles & theories can be found in the art. Maybe a little history to help support these principles and theories. etc etc etc

ex/ BJJ is a grappling art that focuses heavily on ground fighting submissions with lots of practice with you work from guard position, while other arts perform these submissions without the ground aspect. Keeping the opponent close while on the ground to minimize the opponent's strength and reach. Much of the techniques are taught with the principle that a smaller/weaker person can defend themselves from a larger/stronger person. etc etc etc etc

ex/ Hung Gar focuses heavily on deep strong stances with the idea that if you have strong roots than your strikes & movements will be stronger. As a result, strong hand techniques (with Tiger getting special treatment) are also emphasized. etc etc

so far there hasnt been any say about what goes on in the art, except that its combat oriented (which many MAs are) and that its effective in the field (again which are applicable to just about ALL MAs). And you wonder why people are skeptical...