Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting?

Posted by: Neko456

Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 07/22/05 02:54 PM

Which Kung-fu systems are known for producing good fighters? Tai-Chi use to be known as a formible system, Imperial Guards/Body Guards at one time studied it. Its done for health mostly now pending style.

Choy-Li-fut was developed to bring forth good fighters quickly so was Wing Chun or Tsing and also Praying Mantis was devised to fight. Feeding Crane systems is aggressive fighting style. Hungar Tiger Crane and Hsing-I what other styles are known for producing fighters.

The New kickboxing style Shou-soua seems forminable and JKD though not a style.

I really haven't seen any Gung-fu or Kung-fu style that is not potent, but what are the systems known for producing fighters? I know Kung-fu stresses a total package but still I want to know your oppinoion.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 07/24/05 07:17 PM

Well, while Taiji might be used mostly in the US as a health system, I have always regarded it a fighting method. The thing about Taiji, is it can be applied to all styles of gong fu, or any other fighting method, especially wrestling. The sensitivity and rooting you develop from Taiji is enough to overcome almost anything (and awareness). If you learn how to fully use it as a fighting system, then yes, it is very formidable. For example, Chen has alot more strikes, punches, kicks, and locks than most other styles. Although Rare, XingYi and Bagua, when combined are very formidable internal styles. They also compliment any external styles you might be doing

Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar are pretty good Gong Fu styles. Wing Tsun is too, but the problem comes in the teaching methods, and the dependancy on structure and mechanical accuracy as opposed to being natural. White Crane is pretty formidable, definitely a bit more internal than most others.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 07/26/05 02:59 PM

I think that when you've absorbed the principles in tai chi of rooting, alignment, internal connection, breath and mind control, the internal system and power sourcing, whatever you do will work!

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 07/26/05 03:39 PM

This is true.
Posted by: Ajacks

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 07/27/05 01:03 PM

Kuntao
Posted by: mantis_boxing

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 07/29/05 06:13 AM

ngo cho kun kungfu dominated fuchien province. characteristically powerful, close-quarters, simple
Posted by: someotherguy

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 07/31/05 05:34 PM

Quote:

Wing Tsun is too, but the problem comes in the teaching methods, and the dependancy on structure and mechanical accuracy as opposed to being natural.

What do you mean by "natural". The way you control your body is a product of your upbringing & experience...just look at how walking styles have changed over the last 100 years, or even how athletes & boxers move "naturally" differently now.

The whole point of WC is that you adhere to the concepts of the system by performing biomechanically accurate, efficient movement. I don't see how this isn't natural, it is based around the "natural" anatomy of the human body and exploiting this for combat. You re-condition yourself to "naturally" (or automatically) fight in a biomechanically direct, economic, structurally sound manner - thus developing speed, power, efficiency, and minimising risk of injury.

What you claim is a problem is the fundamental strength of the WC system, and something that modern boxing and several other fighting arts also heavily focus on - mechanical & structural excellence.
Posted by: etaks86

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/08/05 09:55 AM

well, i would say jeet kuen do, of course to be good at jkd you should have at least the basic's of one or two or three different martial arts. i would say wing chun is more about real fighting but still lacks something. that's why i practice wing chun and boxing as one style. i consider myself a jeet kuen do fighter and my moves come from wing chun and boxing so i think fighting like this can be very effective in real life fighting. i'm not after pretty moves or complex tricks, i'm into fast, simple technics.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/08/05 10:34 AM

Yes but I wouldn't classify JKD as a Classical Kung-fu system because it has no Way, but endorses it all ways. I mean it really doesn't have to be Kung-fu to be JKD it can be Kali or like you said western boxing, it can be shoot wrestling any thing can start the base of your JDK.

I know that doesn't make you part of its Core or Concept group. So....

Yeah you R right, it one of them but, its not one of them.
Your Wing Chun base would be one. IMO.

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/09/05 01:43 AM

yeah i know.

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/11/05 07:00 AM

I apologize, my criticism wasn't geared towards WC itself, an art, but what some people tend to make of it.As any gong fu system, when perfected, or "mastered" and used in a natural manner, any of these systems can be devastating. My issue was one similar to Bruce Lee's, like religion, sometimes the art can confine, and restrict the person from flourishing, but obviously it depends on the person. Even the founder of Yi Chuan thought that Bagua and Taiji's excercises had become too static and restrictive, as opposed to sticking the main core internal principles.

But structure and training, the classical way (wether its WC, Taiji, or any MA) is the key to reaching that most natural level anyways. Without something to base your training on, there is almost no way to get to that martial level. But I think all of these arts, especially WC benefit from internal concepts and training.

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/11/05 02:54 PM

that's fine because wing chun is only a small part of what i do i consider myself a jeet kuen do fighter, i do whatever works best. and i wasn't offended at all. i believe that to do martial arts in traditional ways restrict you and restrian and slow your minds ability to instinctivly and instantly respond to attack. i take from a martial art what is simple and effective for me to use in self defence. of course these are my opinions. i am not offended by much. thank you for your time. i will always grow and change what i think today i might not tomorrow and vice versa.

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/15/05 04:49 PM

Thats great. But I find learning, and working hard in the traditional ways has immense benefits. Because it is great to liberate yourself from the art after you have mastered its basics. Also there is alot of mental, spiritual, and obvious physical basics from training in the traditional ways. So much to learn, especially if you apply it to your every day life.

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/15/05 11:08 PM

that's fine if someone wants to learn it for those reasons but for me i don't need to learn it to train my spirit, i'm a christian so my spirit is alright and i get all my spiritual strength from jesus and his teachings. i learn martial arts mainly for self defence and it's fun also. i'm already at peace with the world. but i have no problem with anyone, i do not hate anyone, and i do not judge people. i get my spiritual training from god not martial arts. but that's fine, that's the path i choose to take and the one that i believe is right but i will not tell someone that their path is wrong but if they want my honest opinion i will give it to them with much humility but i do not impose or force my beliefs on someone else i believe that everyone has to find their own path and i might can give them advice and guiddess but the choice remains theirs , i'm sure that for some people it helps them to train that way but it's not my way. everyone has to make their own path and walk it until the end, then when the end comes they will know if it was the right path to take. and i pray that they take the right path but it's the persons choice.

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/15/05 11:09 PM

and also baguamonk i thank you for your time and mean no disrespect in anyway.

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/20/05 11:31 PM

I appreciate it.Thats good. Although martial arts should not get in the way of your religion/spirituality, if not only increase it. What I meant was the immense mental, and physical benefits you get from the traditional ways. How do you think Bruce Lee ever came with the philosophy in JKD in the first place? By being natural born gong fu genius (kung fu hustle style) and never practicing? He got his base in strict and unbroken traditional practice. He got his flow/ideas from Taoist concepts and Taiji, etc. So you never have to view it as religion, because even that is a system in itself. Its just a good way to improve yourself, but I understand where you are coming from, I think we are all that way.

Re: Which Kung-fu systems are known for fighting? - 08/25/05 08:35 PM

ok.