Full contact

Posted by: MAGr

Full contact - 07/12/05 06:46 AM

Do you kung fu guys do full contact fighting and sparring in your school? If so, what rules do you have and how is it operated?
Its not traditionally a kung fu training method but has many benefits. We have full contact in my school, in 3 , 2min rounds, we also wear protective gear. Its great for pressure testing techniques and for control of ones actions. As we learn more techniques we add to the things we are allowed to do during sparring. Have you found any benefits from it?
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Full contact - 07/12/05 11:50 AM

San Shou is full contact sparring it and Wau-shu is the national arts of China. San Shou incorperarte striking, kicking and throwing in China its practice on a platform if kicked or knock off the platform you lose. You can also loose through KO or incapacating throws or strike then throw. You can see a hurt player thrown and thrown and hit and thrown till he quits or can't get up.

In the past there were under ground matches in China that ended in death or blinding so yes they know about full contact enons years ago. Maybe even now.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Full contact - 07/12/05 12:08 PM

Excellent! I didnt know that! I will look into it.

I knew they had underground matches, but what I was saying is that nowadays they dont have full contact as part of the curriculum in most kung fu schools. I might be wrong. But in any case I would like to hear about the rules that each school imposes, as we are freestyling at the moment and looking to find what works in full contact and what is useless and what is too dangerous.
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Full contact - 07/12/05 03:54 PM

Our gung fu school trained full contact and held full contact matches for the public. We did 3 two minute rounds. Rules allowed elbows, knees, kicks anywhere(except to the knee), grappling and punches. A match could be won by submission or a lock. We started this back in 89 but we called it shootfighting or san shou which means free fighting. There are the san shou nationals held in Flordia every year.

Kevin
Posted by: Fangshendo

Re: Full contact - 07/24/05 05:24 PM

Our school is full contact.We will fight 2min. rounds for a minimum 10 minutes or 5 rounds.Our Sifu likes to have us fight different people so that we get used to adjusting our gates ,so the 5 rounds may well be against 5 different opponents.Strikes(no eye gouges or throat shots),kicks and grappling are all included.We always try for a tap out in one way or another.I have found that this type of all out sparring is the most beneficial way to train in that it helps you to use and control any fear you may have going into the fight.Also it teaches you that techniques that you learn in class are never applied picture perfect in a fight situation.(This is why reference points are so important to learn.)
Posted by: monji112000

Re: Full contact - 07/24/05 06:51 PM

if you want to learn how to swim you must get in the water!

In formal sparring is a daily practice.

What about form though? Sparring match that has any sense of technique in formal matches. I can't speak for any other person... but whats the point of pract. if you don't use the techniques? outside my school I NEVER see sparring were someone uses a qwan sao or a Gan-tan sao.

has anyone ever seen any Tiger , ect.. in a sparring match?
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Full contact - 07/28/05 04:04 AM

Quote:

has anyone ever seen any Tiger , ect.. in a sparring match?

Typical Tiger techniques are clawing, ripping, tearing the face, throat, eyes, genitals.

By the way, in your chi-sao clip, everyone wears green except you; are you the 'sifu?'

I see alot of non-wing chun weapons in the background. What else is taught there?
Posted by: monji112000

Re: Full contact - 07/28/05 08:26 AM

I know about tiger claw, I studied a hybrid Hung gar style for years.. I don't know what pic your talking about, I have never seen anyone use gloves in CHi-sao.. I am just interested in seeing how other people do Chi-sao. Thats why I added the post.. I have only seen 1 or 2 other schools doing it.

No I am not a Sifu. Maybe in 10 years? We rent the room from another Kung Fu school. They use many diff weapons, in their forms. It looks cool.. but no one can fight with any of them so its a waste. I learned allot of “traditional” Kung Fu skills from that school like lion dancing and drums. I still remember some forms too. Everyone says to practice it and when I am good to add it to my WC. Maybe I will?