Is this a good style for me?

Posted by: goldendragon88

Is this a good style for me? - 06/09/05 02:57 AM

I'm currently a blue belt in Shorin-Ryu karate, however I want to study kung fu as well. I'm 6 feet tall and about 260 lbs. The school I'm interested in teaches Tai Chi and Pai Lum and I was wondering if either of these styles would be useful for someone of my proportions. I'd greatly appreciate any opinions.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Is this a good style for me? - 06/09/05 06:10 AM

I have great respect for tai chi, but no patience for it.
I m sure a lot of people excel at it and are great, and there are benefits to health and character and great discoveries within the system, I just wouldn t have the patience for it.
Its a big change from karate thats for sure.
Posted by: KungFuMaster

Re: Is this a good style for me? - 06/12/05 06:19 PM

Based on your proportions Karate would make more sense for you than Tai Chi or Pai Lum. But in my opinion you'd be taking most adantage of your weight and size by learning Muay Thai or Krav Maga.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Is this a good style for me? - 06/12/05 09:25 PM

Go check out a class at the school and see if you like it. Your "proportions" have nothing to do with it whatsoever.
Posted by: Neb

Re: Is this a good style for me? - 06/13/05 12:01 AM

Quote:

Your "proportions" have nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Very very true. I do Dragon, and wing chun Kung Fu, there are aspects of Karate that I strongly dissaprove on.

If u are 260 lb u are probably strong enough, so ifI were u I would develope speed, Kung Fu is one of the best for that...

Often ppl who are big are way to slow for their power to become usful
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Is this a good style for me? - 06/13/05 12:27 AM

Quote:

Based on your proportions Karate would make more sense for you than Tai Chi or Pai Lum. But in my opinion you'd be taking most adantage of your weight and size by learning Muay Thai or Krav Maga.

BOOOOO!!!

Quote:

Go check out a class at the school and see if you like it. Your "proportions" have nothing to do with it whatsoever.

YAY!!!!
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Is this a good style for me? - 06/13/05 12:49 PM

Ditto on checking out the school and seeing if you like it. Hey, it can't hurt to try and reinforce that fact every chance we get.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Is this a good style for me? - 06/13/05 03:02 PM

Yes, proportions have nothing to do with it. If you can excel at Taiji and Pai Lum at your height/weight, then you are much better off than if you were taking Karate.

Taiji is great, but most classes won't really give you much insight into what its about. I reccomend buying Yang Jwing Ming's books on the subject (ist Yand style, but it doesn't matter), it is great research to accompany your training.
Posted by: goldendragon88

Re: Is this a good style for me? - 06/13/05 08:47 PM

Ok, thank you all for your advice and I'll certainly observe a class and decide if I like it. I'm quite fast for my size, so I suppose pai lum/tai chi could be the right styles for me. Once again, thank you all.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Is this a good style for me? - 06/14/05 03:49 AM

Like everybody else says, size have nothing to do with it. Its your temperament that counts, and perhaps your age. Young people will find tai chi too boring and most schools tend to emphasize the health aspects; not many teachers these days can really go indepth into the combat aspects of tai chi.