LOng fist styles WC, ect..

Posted by: monji112000

LOng fist styles WC, ect.. - 06/06/05 03:20 PM

I was talking to my Sifu today about some of the ideas he has been showing me. I was shocked to find out that He was teaching Long fist boxing. Most students of Yip man's class were not taught the full long fist parts. Some did exist in the normal class.. but because of most students size it was applicable.

Larger students (mostly private students or disciples)were taught the full Long fist components.. but most are not publicly teaching this component. Even family members who learned WC from Yip man Personally didn't always learn long fist.

What other long fist styles exist? What type of tech. do you use in your style?

Has other people come across long fist components in WC?
Posted by: 18lohans

Re: LOng fist styles WC, ect.. - 06/06/05 08:58 PM

That was a very interesting remark! I've always been somewhat aware that parts of Wing Chun may have been lost through the generations... but that actual Long Fist was part of it... that's a first.

In dragon pole training, we use a horse stance, which is something I didn't see anywhere else in the style. Also, it's said that bil jee has components of crane and snake style. (Though that's probably not long fist). Generally, Long Fist as I know it has very little resemblance to Wing Chun.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: LOng fist styles WC, ect.. - 06/07/05 12:11 PM

could you explain/describe long fist WC?

The dragon pole uses different stance because it was not initially part of the WC "syllabus". It was added later, for the full story search the net.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: LOng fist styles WC, ect.. - 06/09/05 04:54 PM

interesting, as far as I know alot of schools from different styles taught fundamentals of Long fist because of its strong base. Because actually being a part of WC, interesting. It wouldn't surprise me, I always thought there was something missing in WC, but thats just my opinion.
Posted by: 18lohans

Re: LOng fist styles WC, ect.. - 06/09/05 08:56 PM

I agree with you Bagua Monk. As a practicioner of Wing Chun, I've always felt it was a very 'specialized' style. I mean, I truly respect it and believe that its very effective. (definitely a complete art if you learn it well). But even its history tells us that it was a gathering of the best techniques in a few shaolin styles.

From personal experience, I gotta say that training in Northern Shaolin quickly made up for the 'missing pieces' I felt in Wing Chun. There are a lot of people who feel WC is complete as it is, and that it's the practicioner's fault. True... but at the same time, a lot of WC practioners feel the same exact gaps in Wing Chun. There must be some truth to that.