Need advice with wing chun

Posted by: Empty

Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 01:42 AM

Anyone got any advice with versing a larger opponent, using wing chun? I'm kinda lost on how to "bring them down to your level". I would ask my teacher but I stopped because of school...
Posted by: Rico

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 03:21 AM

Kick them in the knee, doesn't matter how big they are they will go down if you kick them right. For big people attack the vitals only or you risk losing bad. Go for knee, groin, eyes and throat.

Rico.

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 05:26 AM

How would you kick intro of the fight? Straight away to the knee as the opponent steps in to attack?
Most big people are like "immune" to those attacks sometimes...I've tried those but it's discouraging when there's no reaction to the attack I do.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 06:05 AM

I have this really big guy i sometimes spar with. You cant to a bong lap fat to them because i cant reach him in the first place. And i am 6 foot! imagine how tall that guy is! anyway, the other guys are right, the only way down is their knee. The thing is that you cant do that in sparring cause you might break their knee but in a street fight situation, shoot out a biu jee (thrusting fingers) and at the same time do a stamp kick on their knee and instead of drawing the leg back, step through and land on the kicking leg, then you will have also bridged the gap and you will be in the optimum wing chun position (right in their face).
If it is in a sparring situation then..... i m not sure, you could step 45 degrees forward and get them with floating ribs?
If its a sparring situation, then try lots of different things every time and see what works for you, maybe even a simple arm trap?
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 06:24 AM

Kicks to the knee are easily avoided,blocked, or countered and they won't go down like in the movies.

The groin,eyes,and throat are easily guarded vital targets.It's natural to protect these areas with no training at all.

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 06:31 AM

Sanchin: So what do you suggest?
You are right its not like the movies, but is someone is just tall and big but is untraind he will not be able to defend his knee especially if he has his weight on it. I have tested this.
If he is trained then i still think a move that distracts would leave his legs open for an attack.
So what would you suggest, i would be very interested to learn a technique so that i can vary it up a little with my sparring partner.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 06:48 AM

During sparring a shorter person needs to keep his own range.Either stay outside his range or inside close and throwing strikes.Yes,you could fake high go low or visa versa.The knee has to be attacked with the weight on it as you stated,but only from certain angles which you probably know.
For self defense it wouldn't matter the size.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 08:55 AM

Empty -

Fighting bigger guys can be a problem. I don't suggest breaking your sparring partner's knees in practice, but MAGr had a good suggestion to use your kicks to close the gap. I personally prefer low kicks to the shin or Thai-style roundhouse to the thigh.

Another good trick is to learn to step on the opponent's lead foot. This will make it difficult for him to kick or move while you enter.

Use circular footwork to go around the taller opponent's longer limbs, and attack from angles, not dead on.

Practice!
Posted by: someotherguy

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 09:25 AM

Quote:

How would you kick intro of the fight? Straight away to the knee as the opponent steps in to attack?
Most big people are like "immune" to those attacks sometimes...I've tried those but it's discouraging when there's no reaction to the attack I do.

All you need to do is push the knee into a position where it can't support the attackers weight, it's not like trying to break a femur, you use their own weight to break the knee.

Usually a short kick to the knee would be done simultaneously with hand attacks.
Posted by: Rico

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 12:58 PM

Anyone that says kicks to the knee arn't effective is wrong, as for the groin eyes and throat most people have flinch reactions to defend these but nothing more. They are easy to strike and will put anyone down if you are trained to hit properly.

Rico.
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 03:12 PM

Yes I agree with Rico that a side kick to the knee cap is very very dangerous because the damage has a crippling effect. Although its not an easy target with lots of hours drilling and practicing this technique it can be done. This is one of my main techniques I emplow if facing a large aggressive adversary even then you would have to be real careful if employing this technique because you could actually get sued and have a law suit on your hands even if you were just defending yourself.

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/02/05 08:06 PM

Thanks for the replies...I'll keep this in mind. Of course I know its done with the punches, I just needed "them" to come to my level so I can finish the fight quickly...I don't like the idea of continuing the fight and then someone else joins in.
Does it matter if the kick is towards the inner side or the opposite side of the opponent's knee? If its one or the other, which is more devastating?

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/03/05 07:01 AM

Firstly, you should aim for the knee with the weight on it, for someone who doesnt do MAs that would be the front knee nearly all of the time, which is very convenient. The more weight on the knee the easier it will be to break and the harder it will be to defend, since it would take longer for the opponent to shift his weight.
If he knows wing chun and has the weight on the rear knee then i would not advise you to go for the rear leg because it would leave you open for attack since you will be offbalance too near to the opponent for comfort, so what i would do is go for the knee of the front leg which wont break but will hurt, and then slide down the shin and land on his foot trapping it and then go in with hand attacks.
If you go for the inside of the knee then it should result in a break if done properly, if you go for the outside it may result in a break but it may also just make the opponent twist down onto the floor, in which case your foot should keep contact with the back of the knee and then jump and land on the exposed ankle with your other foot, breaking that instead.
I m not sure if what i am saying makes sense.
Posted by: someotherguy

Re: Need advice with wing chun - 06/03/05 09:18 AM

just be careful of trapping/breaking your own hands in an attack. Punching certain areas of the chest etc can result in a "reflex headbutt" from the opponent, or your hand getting trapped. A lot of people will have a reflex to pull their elbow back when hit (especially around their ribs), so make sure your fist isn't striking anywhere in that region, or it will get broken/trapped. Just a few things worth considering that don't necessarily manifest themselves in sparring, particularly if all your sparring partners have conditioned themselves not to perform these "reflexes"