Praying Mantis

Posted by: 18lohans

Praying Mantis - 06/01/05 01:17 AM

I'm fairly a beginner in the style of Praying Mantis, so I was looking forward to hearing any experiences you've had either learning or going against a praying mantis stylist.

(I'm also particularly instered in finding the forms taught in the Taiji MeiHua Curriculum).
Posted by: Rico

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/01/05 02:57 AM

Hi which style of Tanglang are you currently stuying? As I said in the styles post I study Meihua Tanglang in Shandong province. Its probably the least known form of Tanglang since it hasn't left China to the same degree as 7 star or 8 Step.

Im currently designing a website for the school I study at with information and some photos, videos etc to promote Meihua Tanglang. Ill be sure to put up a link when its done.

Its a very combat based style and the forms reflect this by not being flashy (although the movements are still hard to learn). A lot of emphasis is placed on seizing.. its very very close range with lots of takedowns. A good practitioner will be well conditioned in all areas of the body, we spend almost half a day on this in the morning.

My experience of 7-star is to much emphasis on forms (they look real nice) and not enough combat, but remember each school is different.

Rico.

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/01/05 01:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. My teacher's teacher is originally from the Shandong Province as well. I refrain from bothering them too much with lineage, but I gathered that he has studied Mei Hua and 8-Step.

Our curriculum reflects that. This is also why I was interested in the Mei Hua curriculum. I wanted to distinguish our forms from Mei Hua and 8 Step.

I'm actually surprised that you consider 8 Step popular. It's supposed to be a new system, which has produced very few masters so far. I do agree with the popularity of 7 Star though. Yet, I'm hesitant to call it flashy. (At least the 7 Star system I got to see). It is actually very close range as well, from what I got to experience.

To my understanding, most tang lang systems share at least a few forms (Bung Bo being a popular one). I've also seen forms such as Mei Hua Shou taught in 7 Star schools. I believe that to be a MeiHua form?

Would you mind listing the name of some of your MeiHua forms?
Posted by: DefenselessChild

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/01/05 02:28 PM

7 Star right here. I feel some schools do emphasize too much on forms as well, though there are those that train for combat. That's my emphasis.

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/02/05 01:25 PM

I suppose this emphasis on forms may be due to what the students wants these days, at least in America. I know a lot of people that get into traditional martial arts just to learn the movements and get the forms down. (I.e., being able to say they know it). More of a competition Wushu type thing. I think that's why you also see schools that make you pay a lot more for programs that actually include application of techniques/sparring.

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/04/05 07:06 AM

Heres the first few forms in my Meihua system, the spelling is in pinyin so may be hard to understand.

1. Beng Bu
2.Lan Jie
3.Ba Zhou
4.Ze Yao

We also have sword forms for both the broad sword and straight sword as well as staff, spear, whip etc.

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/05/05 01:59 AM

Quote:

Heres the first few forms in my Meihua system, the spelling is in pinyin so may be hard to understand.

1. Beng Bu
2.Lan Jie
3.Ba Zhou
4.Ze Yao

We also have sword forms for both the broad sword and straight sword as well as staff, spear, whip etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Are the following forms also part of the mei hua system?
Wu shou
Mei Hua Shou
Xiao Fan Che
Posted by: pnr815

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/18/05 10:58 PM

Hi this is my first post in this forum, but I've been practicing martial arts for many years. Right now I'm studying the Jook Lum Tong Long style, anyone else study this style?

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/19/05 03:06 PM

Haven't heard of your style of Tong Long, but I'm interested in hearing more. Is it similar to the other tong long families? Perhaps it shares forms with other families?
Posted by: Longduckdong

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/23/05 06:13 PM

If you were to combine the animals from a 5 animal style, which would you combine to create the Praying Mantis?

Re: Praying Mantis - 06/24/05 01:02 AM

I find the kangaroo and the badger come together well to create a mantis......