Chinese kenpo

Posted by: Fireblaze

Chinese kenpo - 05/30/05 02:12 AM

I got some questions about chinese kenpo?
1.Is chinese kenpo a good style?
2.Also if it could be efficient?
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Chinese kenpo - 05/30/05 06:54 AM

Depends where. My personal opinion is that I don't really like Kempo that much. Besides, Chinese/Japanese Kempo are pretty much the same thing, they both come from Chinese techniques. What might seem good is that it takes movements out of chinese gong fu (shaolin, and simplifies it. But what I don't like is its missing ALOT of important elements that make Shaolin Gong Fu what it is. When searching for MA's, I always prefer finding a good teacher, and the original methods that inspired, and were the root of these modern arts.

The original Kempo guys from what I understand were pretty tough. But nowdays, Kempo schools seem highly disullisioned. Of course this is just my opinion. Alot of schools that pass themselves off as Shaolin (Shaolin Do), are actually mediocre Kempo. So do your research.
Posted by: DefenselessChild

Re: Chinese kenpo - 05/30/05 11:30 AM

Agree with the above. I believe there must be very good Kenpo people out there, just haven't seen many...
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Chinese kenpo - 05/31/05 12:01 AM

Pretty much agree with the above. AKK is supposed to have Chinese Kempo roots, and with the right instructor is a very good school, but much of what I've seen of Kenpo practitioners lately is alot of watered down slop I wouldn't feed to a pig. I guess I just lucked out. If you want to study it, make sure you actually check out the school you're interested in before you sign up.