Wing Chun or My Jong Law Horn style

Posted by: ufoologist

Wing Chun or My Jong Law Horn style - 05/28/05 01:44 AM

Hello All,
I am 32, from Alberta, Canada, in good health and a runner, and I am trying to start taking classes on Kung Fu, but now I realize there are several styles.
I have the chance to start either Wing Chun or My Jong Law Horn style. I 've read some articles on Wing Chun, but found little about the other style, which I believe comes from northern China. I saw the two styles in action and I cannot decide yet; have no knowledge on this matter.
This will be a long quest for me, I am trying to take it with a lot of patience, discipline, and for many years. Some sustain that Wing Chun is not as effective as is promoted. Others claim Mi Zong and Luo Han styles are more of an exhibition than a practical art, with leg kicks and open spaces.
Constructive criticism and advice from the experienced are welcomed. Hopefully I am not too old to begin!
Thanks,
The Ufoologist.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Wing Chun or My Jong Law Horn style - 05/28/05 08:29 PM

Which ever school is better.

There is a My Jong Law Horn school close to mine, and its mostly fancy kicks (flying, etc.) and a couple forms. The sparring consisted of pitter patter novice boxing, and kicks flying all over the place (off balance). Didnt like it. But I think thats cuz it was commercialized, find a good school.

WC is a pretty good style, but alot of schools suck. Which ever school is bettera, check them both out, the prices etc.