Jet Li... is his style really effective?

Posted by: alskef

Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/20/05 01:08 PM

Hello:
Is the style of JET LI really effective?
Does kung fu teaches to fight in this style?
I really like him... that's why I want to know if he is true
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/20/05 09:31 PM

To be honost No. Jets original style is Wushu which is used mostly for show its more imppressive then effective. But of course any style can work it all depends on the person using it.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/20/05 09:34 PM

Really? And how did you ascertain that exactly?

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/20/05 11:51 PM

Well from my 20+years in martial arts I have found from my own experiences but that is only my opinion. I wont go into exact detail because I dont want to offend anyone who might think Im just bragging but I did play hands(spar) and talked with some Wushu fighters and masters.

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/21/05 12:44 AM

Hi,

I apologize if my question came across in a sarcastic/condescending manner. I assure you it was not. I was genuinely interested in how you made that determination, and would be grateful if you could share your perspective.

I know there is a big difference between staged (choreographed) combat and actual fighting. I know little of wushu, apart from the fact that it is more competition-based these days, and less about fighting, although the principles of movement are the same irregardless.

So, if you don't mind sharing, I promise I won't be offended or accuse you of bragging.
Posted by: alskef

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/21/05 01:48 AM

So, he is not real...
what about his hands movements?

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/21/05 01:57 AM

I asked 5 wushu teachers all from different schools and 4 or the 5 told me that wushu is mainly used for competition and rarley for true combat like street fights. The 5th wushu teacher told me that his wushu was used for actual fighting. We started talking and I told him I took wingchun/JKD and asked him if he wanted to play hands (sparring). He couldnt even hit me once all his moves where very unrealistic and hookie looking I could have easily defeated him and ended this sparring but I respected him as a teacher of wushu and save him face from all the students watching us spar. We ended it with a bow,handshake and a hug to show his students that this was just a friendly sparring and to show them to honour respect each other even if you are from different styles.

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/21/05 02:13 AM

Were these teachers from mainland China?
Posted by: avi39b

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/21/05 03:22 AM

hi!!
it may be true that he has been fighting with a wushu master but and won! but i seriously disagree with him because i have a pretty good experience in matial arts(4 years of ju-jit-su 3 years of kick-boxing 2 years of twaekwondo 1 year of hapkido and now kung-fu,my favourite is shantung black tiger kung-fu from shaolin) and i could easily beat a lot of guys even twice my size,with big muscle.....then i wanted to start wushu/kung-fu.After two months i started to feel that i was more calm(extreme improvement of my reflexes)and stronger...i personally recommend kung-fu for street fighting

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/21/05 03:28 AM

No but one of them said his father was a master in china.

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/21/05 03:39 AM

Quote:

hi!!
it may be true that he has been fighting with a wushu master but and won! but i seriously disagree with him because i have a pretty good experience in matial arts(4 years of ju-jit-su 3 years of kick-boxing 2 years of twaekwondo 1 year of hapkido and now kung-fu,my favourite is shantung black tiger kung-fu from shaolin) and i could easily beat a lot of guys even twice my size,with big muscle.....then i wanted to start wushu/kung-fu.After two months i started to feel that i was more calm(extreme improvement of my reflexes)and stronger...i personally recommend kung-fu for street fighting

Well like I stated before in other topics that the art doesnt make the person the person makes the art. Also you said you could beat guys twice your size,if you hadnt taken jujitsu, kick boxing ,taekwondo,hapkido,and shaolin kung fu and you only learned or knew was wushu kung fu do you really think you could of beat those guys that where twice your size that you said you beat?
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/21/05 03:24 PM

Quote:

my favourite is shantung black tiger kung-fu from shaolin

You are very lucky if you have a teacher for this. This is a very rare art form that is kept quite secretive (aka not many ppl are taught it). I'm just curious where do you live? I would be interetsed to know where else they teach it (as of right now I only know of a master in indonesia that teaches it, although there are probably still some in China).
Posted by: Petjut84

shantung - 05/21/05 04:49 PM

hi, i would be careful about mentioning any "better" arts. People get very offended about that. here's a huge link of indonesian martial arts (which i think are good) including the one you practice. http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/7045/Pukulan/pukulan.htm
Posted by: Rico

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/23/05 04:06 AM

Hi I just stumbled across this forum but I feel I can help answer this question. I live and train in China (Shandong province) and have been and studied at the school in Beijing where Jet trained. I can tell you that as a Whusu practitioner you learn no fighting at all and just practice forms and jumps etc in build up for competition. You do no conditioning as this really is a performance art. Any fighting ability Jet has will have come from the study of other arts which he he has done at different stages in his life.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Jet Li... is his style really effective? - 05/23/05 08:33 PM

People who say he is simply "wushu" don't know much. While he was a wushuu performer, that does not mean he can't fight. For god sakes hes lived and breathed chinese kung fu since he was a baby, look at the mans speed and power, of course he can defend himself. Do you know just how difficult and dangerous hong kong action movies are? If you get hit, you get hit, it takes alot to get that kind of choreography perfect, he definitely has the skills to do what he wants.

It is NOT a style. He simply uses the agility, strength, speed, and wits gained from gong fu to display very fundamentally in movies. You don't need complex techniques after you've already gotten good at them. He is also a genuine martial artist, he is kind, honorable, and even began taking up buddhism, which is what made Shaolin monks so legenderay in terms of their skill.