Dividing training time

Posted by: Nord

Dividing training time - 05/18/05 03:39 PM

As a general question, I am interested in how everyone is dividing their training time.

For example, I started training 6 months ago and just passed my first sash test. Being 40, there are a bewildering number of things I need to work on.I have trained with weights all my life which has been an easy thing to focus on. Do you want to get bigger, stronger or both. Beginning Martial arts, I discovered that I really wasn't in shape, flexible or even well coordinated.

I currently go to class 3 x week fr 1 1/2 hours. In the mornings and off-days I am trying to find a good mix so I can keep progressing. Maybe I am over analyzing this but Kung Fu training consists of:
Flexibility
Endurance training
Balance exercises
Basic kicking and punching techiques (speed and strength)
New techniques learned in class
Forms
2 step and 3 step sparring
Self-defense techiniques.
Specialty techniques ( Wrist strengthening, finger strengthening, eagle claw, Chin Na)

So how do you all spend your practice time?
10-15 minutes on a couple of things?
Working on the weakest link?

I know everyone is different but it would be cool to get some new ideas.
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Dividing training time - 05/18/05 11:35 PM

Usually about 30 minutes of stretching. Then 30 minutes of stance work. 15 minutes of conditioning drills with a partner. 30 minutes of bag work. Then we do self defense techniques. I like to close the night out doing some forms.
I can't type long messages; having computer problems.

Kevin
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Dividing training time - 05/19/05 03:41 AM

It depends on whether you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced.

Beginners should spend more effort, not just time, on the basics -- joint-strengthening, stances, stretching & forms. With these well in placed, the fighting, self-defence and expecially the weapons part will be a lot easier and better to look at as you would have got rid of your early clumsiness.

At intermediate levels, it is all about 'projection' of your spirit. How you put it in your eyes and displaying a body mechanical image that typifies you as a 'kung fu' man / woman as you go through the forms or fight. Kung fu becomes you.

At the advanced levels, your concentration should be into the internal aspects of MA; the fusing of the mind and body to bring the execution of any technique to another level. You probably thought that the ability to do beautiful forms means your mind and body are 'fused' There is another level to it. This is where all the talk about 'hard / soft' & 'internal / external' is all about.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Dividing training time - 05/19/05 07:56 AM

Nice post Butterfly! Well said.

In the beginning I see that the primary focus should be on the body and the basics.
You will need to stretch quite a bit in order for you to do all of the material properly.
Personally I would find the things that feel good when you do them. Study what the body is doing when you do these things and try to incorperate that feeling within the other things that you do.
This is what the forms are there for. Forms are a great way to gain better flexibility, balance, speed, timing, etc. When I did Kungfu I would spend 80% of my time on forms.
Posted by: Nord

Re: Dividing training time - 05/19/05 09:44 AM

Awesome answers! I really appreciate it.One thing that has really helped me at this beginning level is doing the exercises or forms very slow and thinking about how the body movements blend together. Subtle changes in timing can make a huge difference in balance, speed and power. Also the body doesn't fight itself, it flows better.

I always find it interesting how other schools/styles train.
Posted by: avi39b

Re: Dividing training time - 05/21/05 06:15 PM

hey butterflyPalm great quote!
i agree with you...we can see that you have been practising kung-fu for a very longtime!!!!nice!
Posted by: Fangshendo

Re: Dividing training time - 05/23/05 03:05 PM

A typical class for me will consist of 10 minutes of basic cardio (running,jumping jacks,pushups,ab exercises)and a mixture of upper and lower body stretches.Then 40 minutes of technique training followed by 10-15 minutes of station training.Sparring ,grappling and weapons classes are structured differently.I try to train 7-8 hours a week,and weight train 2 hours a week.