Drunken Styles

Posted by: warriormonk

Drunken Styles - 05/17/05 11:38 AM

Does anyone know of an actual drunken style of martial arts?

I have tried finding one but am not able to via the internet.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/17/05 11:41 AM

There's a new Chinese MA section which is cool...
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=38

you may get more answers there.
take care.
Posted by: coxne

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/17/05 12:40 PM

There are the eight drunken immortals, each immortal has something special that separates their ability from another. One has a strong leg, another holds a pot in his arms, another has strong wrists, etc.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/18/05 12:28 PM

Outside of great drunken scenes in movies, I don't believe there was a formal drunken style in the older Chinese Arts.
Various systems did have forms with drunken movement in them, or perhaps one drunken form.

The basic context was the use of drunken, staggering motion to move unpredictibality on an opponent. Sometimes the hand position as if two fingers were holding a cup would be a striking tool too.

As I understand it drunken forms were very advanced studies in the arts, and you would have had to undergo considerable conditioning and training before attempting them.

Modern Wu-Shu competition does have several 'schools' of extreme drunken gymnastic movement. They do head springs, extreme full body falls, etc, and of course take a very hard toll on the body as one ages.

Good luck in your search,
Posted by: coxne

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/18/05 02:51 PM

In my style, we practice the 8 immortals, as well as drunken weapons, as victor said, they are reserved for advanced students. (haven't gotten that far yet, but have watched the advanced students do the forms)
Posted by: Xavier

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/19/05 09:30 AM

so drunken styles really have forms
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/19/05 09:46 AM

Quote:

so drunken styles really have forms

No, as Victor said, there are drunken forms of styles, but no drunken styles.
Posted by: reallycoolkid

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/19/05 10:20 AM

anybody know any good drunken fights from movies? i know there's the jackie chan one but i saw a clip of him fighting and compared to the drunken style i've seen before it isn't the same. there's a really good scene in fist of the red dragon, drunken vs. eagle's claw. i don't know how close to the real drunken style it really is, but it's choreographed really well IMO and fun to watch.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/20/05 03:49 AM

Quote:

There are the eight drunken immortals, each immortal has something special that separates their ability from another. One has a strong leg, another holds a pot in his arms, another has strong wrists, etc.

There are 8 immortals, maybe only one or two were members of AA (Alcoholic Anonymous)

One is a woman, supposedly pretty but pretty deadly, the rest either has a crippled leg, an ugly face, a perpetual grin or a huge belly. These are all legends; no one has actually seen them and drew portraits. Much like Santa Claus or Robin Hood and his Merry Men. These 'immortals' were roped in or their names borrowed to name some forms by the old chinese masters, because it always sounded better when a newly invented form has some connection to legendary figures -- like the '18 kicks of One-Legged Li' or the '7 Slaps of Her Sien Gu' (the single female immortal) or something.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/20/05 12:17 PM

One of the most fun movies was an old Shaw Brothers that was renamed "Heroes of the East". It was a partial comedy, a Chinese man married a Japanese bride (say in the 30's). They both had martial traditions and her extreme Japanese point of view made it difficult for them to get along. She ran home, and a letter a friend sent to her in his name caused her relatives to send a Japanese Martial Arts delegation to 'meet' with him.

Differences of understanding, led him to be challenged by the entire group. His friends to prepare him for one of his fights, attacked a 'drunken' master, and they watched his responses, learning the drunken system.

The movie is great, and the drunken seen too.

Jackie Chan's also made many drunken movies, he has good technique for them.

Then there were an entire chain of Shaw movies on drunken themes.

But movies are just entertainment, not training.

Drunken with its extreme falls is very difficult to attempt.

I'd rank Drunken Forms right up there with Monkey Style kung fu, not for the faint of heart.
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/20/05 09:37 PM

I liked Jackie Chans Drunken Master 2 I think was really funny when he drank the gasoline and spit fire. Also I would have taken Drunken Boxing but I was too drunk to make it too class hahahaha lol j/k.
Posted by: srichards

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/23/05 12:17 PM

not sure if this is what you want to see, but i found a clip of drunken boxing v kyushin
credits to www.bullshido.com

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=Links&file=viewlinkinfo&id=45

seems alright. there is alot of drunken kungfu bashing going on in the posts. but i still think it was impressive.
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/23/05 05:51 PM

Quote:

not sure if this is what you want to see, but i found a clip of drunken boxing v kyushin
credits to www.bullshido.com

No dont get me wrong I wasnt bashing Drunkin style I was just making a joke to lighten up the situation. I have experienced drunken boxing first hand when I sparred with a practitioner of this style. At first when he told me what style he was I thought that drunken crap is fake but when I sparred with him at first I had a hard time hitting him with his unorthadox and unpredictable way of fighting. He actually hit me a couple of time before I caught him. Although this style has alot of weaknesses I wont go into detail about that. Plus if the guy I sparred with was a Master in this style and not just a apprentice he would of been a more formidal opponent.

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=Links&file=viewlinkinfo&id=45

seems alright. there is alot of drunken kungfu bashing going on in the posts. but i still think it was impressive.

Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/23/05 08:26 PM

That clip is dumb. Propaganda, and nothing else. It is like when Royce Gracie beat the MMA, and his brother claimed it was a "gong fu expert." Just for publicity.

You can tell its not really drunken kung fu.
Posted by: reallycoolkid

Re: Drunken Styles - 05/24/05 10:20 AM

i've seen that vid before. it seems to me the drunken style guys are more focused on acting drunk than getting any attacks in, but i can imagine it would be really hard to focus on the acting while at the same time focusing on your opponent. maybe the kung fu guys there just need some more time to train. the few puches they throw hit in places that it seems wouldn't effect the opponent much and they get kicked in the face repeatedly.. it's definetly not impressive IMO
Posted by: TKD-Skippi

Re: Drunken Styles? - 06/10/05 09:32 AM

what's a Drunken style? it it like an M.A to use when your smashed? like decking someone with beer mug?

Re: Drunken Styles? - 06/10/05 10:19 PM

Quote:

what's a Drunken style? it it like an M.A to use when your smashed? like decking someone with beer mug?

Seeing that you are from the land of the 'wee dram' it shouldn't be too difficult to imagine a high level MA master fighting when he is actually drunk? with the wobbly legs, hands flaying haphazardly etc (the beer mug, with or without contents, is optional) and yet surprisingly managed to get, effortlessly, a few strikes in.

But seriously, there isn't a complete system called a drunken style (like the crane, monkey, eagle) where every form, hand or weapon, is done in a 'drunken manner'

The feature of a drunken form (hand or weapon) is the deceptive, sudden and unpredictable changes of leg, hand movements; it looks like a drunk person trying to fight and so its called a drunken form. The main tactic is unpredictability; try predicting what a real drunk will do next, the next time (tonight?) you visit your local.

Its usually done by senior students because of the kind of very short-range power needed for the strikes to be effective; because once you chamber too much, the deceptive / surprise element is gone, and you should also be able to strike effectively from odd angles and with sudden changes of direction, just like a drunk would need to.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Drunken Styles? - 06/11/05 04:41 AM

In Yang tai chi it is one of three methods of practising the form. "Monk" style is peaceful and very internal, "Warrior" style is with fighting intention and application in mind and "Drunken" is usually called "Sick Man" style so you have the large expressive, explosive movements similar to someone vomiting. It's a very powerful way of training.

Re: Drunken Styles? - 06/12/05 12:38 AM

I am taking you seriously here. There is a 'drunken' Yang tai chi form or the normal form
done in a drunken manner?

The expressive, explosive 'sick man' method will help the fajin part I suppose, as it does in Chen
tai chi?
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Drunken Styles? - 06/12/05 03:58 AM

That's right. It's focusing on certain aspects of the form, as I said it tends to be called 'sick man' (because of the method of deriving power) you can also focus and do the form by exagerating snake, crane or tiger.
Posted by: TKD-Skippi

Re: Drunken Styles? - 06/12/05 03:01 PM

Are the drunken styles exclusive to Kung fu? Does the princple apply to other MA's? for example could i develop drunken forms for my Taekwon-do?

regs
Posted by: KungFuMaster

Re: Drunken Styles - 06/12/05 05:52 PM

There really is a Drunken Monkey Kung Fu style but is difficult to explore because of it's history. It was'nt a popular or well known style and not many students learned it but I believe today that many Kung Fu schools teach it. Generally it's based on 8 drunken immortals and i believe it's only an effective style when mastered.
Posted by: nextbrucelee

Re: Drunken Styles - 07/04/05 05:05 PM

i do eight shadow drunken boxing
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Drunken Styles - 07/04/05 05:25 PM

Drunken kung fu is alot like Bagua in some aspects. The way it derives power is based on spinning vectors, and very ankward angles/positions. But it is done through constant motion, footwork, and full body power. It is the most difficult because of how difficult its stances, strikes, and falls (no breaking) are to pull off correctly. A good wushu performer could do it, but could he really generate the amount of power needed to use it as a martial artist?
Posted by: FightSchool

Re: Drunken Styles - 07/06/05 02:03 PM

I have seen and practiced a little of northern Shaolin drunken, drunken sword, drunken staff which are all wu shu like but really powerful although probably very difficult to deliver the power effectivly. Also practiced a southern drunken form in Foshan a little similar to the 8 immortals. The northern styles did have very good footwork which was not too difficult though.