What style(s) are represented here?

Posted by: SANCHIN31

What style(s) are represented here? - 05/17/05 12:26 AM

Just curious to see the different styles here.
Posted by: coxne

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/17/05 08:10 AM

I take shaolin-do (catches alot of crap on bullshido for wearing gis) Don't know too much about the history or lineage, only been studying for 14 months. I love it as it has a nice blend of empty hand and weapons forms.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/18/05 03:19 AM

Sheesh, talk about an art that can be confusing. Remember that AKK recognizes both its Chinese roots as well as Japanese. Thus the use of terms such as sifu.

Man, I hope they don't open a kali styles forum soon. With Richard "Huk" Planas being one of the highest ranking BB in AKK, we also have some influence from Escrima.
Posted by: Nord

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/18/05 02:54 PM

Lun Gar Pai. It is a northern Shaolin family style with emphasis on the five animals and Chin Na. The style has low kicks to the groin and knees, sticky hands, Chi Sao and numerous nasty techniques I am just getting into.
Posted by: Inuyasha

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/18/05 08:41 PM

Mix of wing chun, hun gar, Xi ying and a bit of tai chi....
Posted by: DefenselessChild

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/18/05 09:07 PM

Wahlum Tamtui Northern Praying Mantis Kung-Fu. 70% Kicking 30% Punching striking art.
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/18/05 09:33 PM

Choy li fut is the core style. With some hung gar one handed eagle claw and wing chun thats been passed down. Punching, kicking, chin na, and throws are all practiced equally. Can't forget conditioning.

Kevin
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/19/05 07:59 AM

Primarily Gao style Baguazhang and Hebei Xingyi. Also a bit of Qigong and Tai Chi.
Posted by: Rumble

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/20/05 07:23 AM

Wingchun/JKD
Posted by: darinme

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/21/05 12:21 AM

Silly as it is, I do not know. maybe 5% kicks with 90% empahsis on leg work. Very focused on balance and interpretation of strength.

Cheers!
Posted by: Rumble

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/21/05 04:02 AM

Quote:

Wingchun/JKD

Those are just my styles that are represented here in this forum. But I also know boxing from ameture golden gloves boxing, grappling from BJJ and Shooto,authentic Muay Thai from master Kam, some kali/escrima from my friend and a little from other arts that JKD incorperates in there system. I have also incorperated and traded some knowledge with some ku min tang kung fu masters and very little tai chi. Basically I will use what ever style that works for me using Bruce Lees concepts-use what works for you,disgard what doesnt work for you, add what you feel can make it better. Styles tend to seperate us thats why I like JKDs theory of having no style so that you can fit in with all styles.
Posted by: Petjut84

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/21/05 05:03 PM

Amerindo Self Defense with Oom Jim Ingram. It is a combination of U.S. combatives, boxing, Pakistani grappling, and about 6 different systems of pentjak silat. There are also people in my class who have done kali, wing chun, hapkido, ninjitsu, Bjj, escrima, Bagua, and xing yi.
Posted by: MeiHua

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/21/05 10:09 PM

Northern Shaolin Mei Hua Chuan.
Posted by: ShaolinChaunFa

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/22/05 02:58 AM

Shaolin chaun fa............
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/22/05 04:06 PM

Northern Shaolin Kung Fu, some Wushu, and some basic Wing Chun.
Posted by: Rico

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/23/05 04:16 AM

Meihua Tanglang Quan (Plum blossom Preying Mantis)
Posted by: etaks86

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/23/05 12:04 PM

i practice the style of me. being myself is what is important even in a fight. but as for martial arts, i practice boxing, some wing chun, and i look into other styles sometimes to see if i can take something from them which will help me to improve the way i fight. i consider my way of fighting JKD, what jkd does is to add what works for you and to subtract what does not work for you. jkd is what i practice and by doing so i also take from other styles what works.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/23/05 12:15 PM

I have had some very brief exposure to Tai Chi, some Tiger style kung fu, and the Chi Sao aspect of Wing Chun.
Posted by: Fangshendo

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/23/05 02:42 PM

Fang Shen Do (Way of survival).Based on Wing Chung. All ranges of fighting are taught ,including weapons.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/23/05 08:31 PM

Xingyi, Bagua, Taiji (chen, yang) and Hung Gar.Of course I've trained in TKD and karate too, but I have moved on.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/23/05 11:17 PM

Quote:

Meihua Tanglang Quan (Plum blossom Preying Mantis)

That's an interesting combination. Meihua and Tanglang are complete systems in themselves and actually quite distinct from each other.

Please tell us more.
Posted by: Ajacks

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/24/05 10:53 AM

Kung Fu >>> it's all basterised these days, all martial arts are cousins and give and take from each other to evolve in what we have today.

KungFu Styles I have encountered and study
Ki Gong, TaiChi, Wushu, Kuntao, Silat, Iron Conditioning

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/25/05 03:08 AM

In response to Buttefly Palm its a lesser known version of Preying Mantis just like Seven Star, 8-step and Tai Chi Mantis are all different.

I learn under the current head of system in China, Shandong Province, Yantia city. Its bassicaly Meihua foot work with close range Mantis hands and throws. So we circle our enemy... but not in the same way as Bagua. Not easy to explain.

Hope this provides some insight if not ill try and explain in more detail.

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/25/05 03:42 AM

Meihua, as its name suggests, do things in Fives, as the 'Meihua' flower (Plum Blossom) has 5 petals. The chinese habitually designate anything (not just in MA) in Fives as 'Meihua'

How is this translated into the Meihua footwork? As you talk about circling; does this means you circle in a Five-Pointed Diagrammatic fashion? like a Five Pointed Star?

To see how this Meihua footwork is combined with the hand techniques of TangLang should be interesting to watch. I suppose whoever combined the two systems took the best features of both.

I certainly agree this is a lesser known system.

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/25/05 05:58 AM

To elaborate a bit if you imagine a flower with the centre surrounded by petals, the oponent would be the centre and I would be the petals moving either side and around the oponent attacking were he is weaker. It is a very close range style (unlike 7 star for example) with lots of seizing and limb breaks/groin strikes etc.

I have my master performing some Qi Gong and the first two main forms on video, maby I can try and get a link put up if he says its ok.

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/28/05 01:25 AM

That would be great.

I am sure everyone would love to see it.
Posted by: Leapordsknowbest

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/28/05 08:18 AM

I rep. Hung Fa Yi Wingchun, and a bit of leopard kungfu.
Posted by: Moby Joe

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/28/05 06:49 PM

Shaolin SSU, baby
Posted by: chitaochuan

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/31/05 01:08 AM

Chi Tao Chuan Gung Fu

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 05/31/05 02:17 AM

Quote:

Chi Tao Chuan Gung Fu

Have not heard of this one. Please tell us more.
Posted by: chitaochuan

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/01/05 12:47 AM

Go to www.greendragonsociety.com it gives a good description of chi tao chuan gung fu
Posted by: 18lohans

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/01/05 01:30 AM

Quote:

To elaborate a bit if you imagine a flower with the centre surrounded by petals, the oponent would be the centre and I would be the petals moving either side and around the oponent attacking were he is weaker. It is a very close range style (unlike 7 star for example) with lots of seizing and limb breaks/groin strikes etc.

I have my master performing some Qi Gong and the first two main forms on video, maby I can try and get a link put up if he says its ok.

First off, I'm a student of Wing Chun, Northern Shaolin, Tai Chi and Praying Mantis.

Rico, I'm pretty interested interested in hearing more of your understanding on the different TangLang families. I'd like to suggest going to the Praying Mantis threat I started five mins or so ago (before I took the time to read this thread and find that there's somewhat of a mantis discussion going on here).
Posted by: AF_Sting

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/01/05 01:52 AM

Teoul Moon Kung Fu, which consists of several styles of Kung Fu. It's mainly focused on Five Animal and Preying Mantis, with some Hung Gar techniques and footwork included. Very diverse and interesting system that I do not believe I'll ever master...just too much stuff and not enough time. Guess I'll just keep trying!

-Sting
Posted by: MAGr

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/01/05 07:06 AM

I study wing chun kuen.
I would like to get into a more internal style of kung fu, but i want to build a good basis for it first.
Posted by: Dog Of War

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/01/05 04:23 PM

Traditional Kung Fu San Soo
-The Dog of War
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/03/05 11:50 AM

Hebei Xingyiquan
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/03/05 01:12 PM

Quote:

Go to www.greendragonsociety.com it gives a good description of chi tao chuan gung fu

I don't mean to start a flame war but...

I reviewed the site and found it very similar to a lot of the neo-ninja sites that had popped up over the last few years, but this one has a chinese flavor.

"Blood Matches" and making it to the "Third Circle" (you have 24 hrs to complete this and may try as many times as you wish as long as you can stand and defend yourself) left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Of couse the site states that chi tao quan is the fastest, bestest and deadliest of all gungfu styles. There are stories that can't be verified and no real concrete infomation, traceable lineages or even a technique or two to take a look at (I presume that this is because they are all too deadly to show to the general public). There's a lot of talk of 'father' to 'son' transmission and sacrificing all for the 'masters', long 'probationary' periods where you must apparently scrape and grovel just to get the oppertunity to become a student. Oy yes, and lest I forget much more scraping and groveling to be done before you are allowed to learn the secret 'internal' styles (another bad sign).

Now remember chitaochuan this is not an attack on you personally, but rather a critique of the information and content of the website that you invited us to view. Good gungfu (as well as bad) can be found all over the U.S. today with little effort and there are some very exceptional internal teachers here as well (Lou De Xiu, Ken Fish, Vince Black, Ed Hampton, Mike Sigman and on and on).

I admit I know nothing of the style of chi tao chuan, but I a bit disturbed by all of the hype of the website. Many of the same claims were made in years past(and still active in small dark places around the country) by the Chung Moo Doe crowd(cult). It would be great if you (chitaochuan) could enlighten us a bit more about the training methods and possibly a little lineage of the Green Dragon Society!

Kempo(spoiling for a good debate)man
Posted by: Tk.09

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/04/05 04:05 PM

chinese martial arts-- mainly consists of southern styles.
Posted by: Pess

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/08/05 10:42 PM

Gao Ba Gua, Hsing I, TKD, a small amount of Aikido, and a minimal amount of cross training in Muay Thai, Tibetan Crane, Hapkido, Kali, Kendo, and Silat. Ba Gua and Hsing I are really my only main ones though ^_^
Posted by: Gorgor

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/09/05 08:27 AM

Pure Hung Gar. Nothing more, nothing less...
Posted by: Wonton

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/23/05 01:02 PM

choy lee fut
Posted by: GungFuTy

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/23/05 06:15 PM

I study a 10 animal style called Chen Wuan Gung Fu or something like that....(spelling could be wrong) I really enjoy it. I've also studyed Tang Soo Do, and American Kenpo....,but more gung fu
Posted by: nextbrucelee

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/30/05 10:46 PM

i do Eight Shadow Drunken Boxing, which was taught in the Ma family
Posted by: OneInchPunchMaster

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/06/05 11:35 AM

7 star praying mantis and Eagle Claw
Posted by: Swaly18

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/18/05 01:18 AM

Kung Fu San Soo, at Kung Fu San Soo of Texas (just started!).
Posted by: Tapio

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/20/05 09:21 AM

I started with karate, tried aikido for a while. Then I had a big break from training. About a year and a half ago I started karate again from the beginner level. (I'm 24 now.)

About six months ago I started this mixed gongfu style. They don't really care that much about styles or belt rankings. It is a wonderful and realistic system with groundwork and everything included. Full contact sparring. I just hope they some day would explain more about different styles incorporated to the system.
Posted by: cks_cropper

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/22/05 09:38 AM

Lau Gar Kung Fu. I think it is one of the 5 main ones, cant remember what the other 4 are. Been doing it for a few months now, its brill!

thanx
CKS
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/22/05 11:10 AM

Yang Long Fist Tai Chi Chaun for 27 years.
Wu Tai Chi Chau Gau Gee for the past 6 years.

Studies in Pai Lum (White Dragon), Sil Lum (N. Shaolin)0, Tai Tong Long (N. Mantis) and Faan Tzi Ying Jow Pai (N. Eagle Claw) over the years (about 20 forms back 25 years ago.
Posted by: PocketDragon

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/23/05 12:57 PM

I do Wing Chun and Chi Kung. And I love it! I've been doing Wing Chun for about 4 years now, Chi Kung for about 2 years. I prefer Wing Chun though. I do Chi Kung mainly for relaxation purposes.
Posted by: b_d_41501

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/23/05 02:57 PM

Shaolin Do; only been doing it for 3 weeks though.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/25/05 02:14 AM

Did tkd and Muay Thai for a while a couple of years then moved on to boxing and Wing Chun. Wrestling. Now Im doing whats called JKD. Really just doing my own thing. been doing it most of my life.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/25/05 06:24 AM

Quote:

Gao Ba Gua, Hsing I, TKD, a small amount of Aikido, and a minimal amount of cross training in Muay Thai, Tibetan Crane, Hapkido, Kali, Kendo, and Silat. Ba Gua and Hsing I are really my only main ones though ^_^

Just curious, who do you train Gao Bagua under?
Posted by: seventytwo

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/20/06 08:29 AM

Feng Shou (Hand of the Wind Kung Fu). It's an internal style so concentrates on developing chi, sensitivity, etc.. turning the opponents force back on them.
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/20/06 09:17 AM

i liq chuan under Master Sam F.S. Chin
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/20/06 02:35 PM

southern praying mantis...I guess I'm the only one
Posted by: EFRAIN

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/20/06 03:33 PM

hey guys whats up again its been a while since i posted something here...well i study YIN STYLE BAGUA ZHANG UNDER GRANDMASTER CHEN XIAU PING AND GTF TAEKWONDO UNDER MASTER 7TH DAN MANUEL QUILES
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/20/06 09:13 PM

wow this is a old post... oh well. If people want to get it going again.

Taekwondo, judo, and hapkido.

Mudokwan
http://www.mudokwan.net/

Matt
Posted by: Tezza

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/21/06 06:50 AM

I am currently studying Wing Tsun. I love it
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/21/06 02:27 PM

Me too! And still keeping up on BJJ to fill in the gaps.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 06/22/06 05:32 AM

Glad to see others enjoy it to
Posted by: Shaolin_Sky

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/12/06 02:27 PM

Praying Mantis/Shaolin

-Sky

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/14/06 06:58 PM

so many WC guys here...i feel lonely
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/17/06 06:18 AM

Yu Lung Kung Fu and Qi Gong. A southern internal style, I don't know that much about the history.

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/17/06 11:53 AM

Quote:

so many WC guys here...i feel lonely

If it's any consolation to you, I think mantis is incredibly cool and love hearing/reading about it. In fact, I've discovered more kung fu styles on this forum than I ever knew existed!
I guess we're all "sticky hand bros." at least
Posted by: Shaolin_Sky

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/19/06 08:43 AM

Haha, yeah, I love studying 7 Star Mantis, it's by far my favorite martial art that i've studied.

-Sky
Posted by: Taison

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/20/06 05:17 AM

Chinese arts?

I did Chin-na and Sanda. Then I read a lot.

To be honest, this last month I've done it again. I've changed color. Now, I'm doing Sanda with many techniques from Baji. Very powerful!

To be honest, nothing fancy. It's just kickboxing at far, Baji at close range and then throw.

Guess I'm losing my MT soon, need to go back practice some more ~_~

-Taison out

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/20/06 11:28 AM

Don't mean to derail, but i'm a little confused - is Sanda a style per se, or is it competition? Is it the same thing as san shou?

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/20/06 11:42 AM

To be frank, I don't know.

In my opinion and understanding is, Sanda is a style. San Shou is a competition.

Sanda is "modern MMA kung-fu". San Shou is like China's version of Vale Tudo.

-Taison out

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/20/06 12:10 PM

I thought SanDa, originally, wasnt really a style simply taking one of the kungfu arts and then basically free fighting with it (hence the name SanDa). So in a way it was like doing kungfu without standing in like horse stance and such, eventually it just became what it is today. Well..thats how I think of it anyway
Posted by: cks_cropper

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/20/06 12:31 PM

Down at my club they offer San Da Kickboxing. All of the arts taught there are of a chinese origin. So at a guess what IExcalibui2 is saying is correct.

thanx
CKS

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/25/06 12:08 AM

Sanda is also known as "practical Wushu" so if you were to identify it with something, it's NHB Wushu.

SanDa is basically boxing, Wushu, Shui Jiao and Chin-na strung together. There is however, little emphasis on Chin-na in competion but Shui Jiao is one of the main tools of San Da.

The throws in Sanda are similar, if not, exactly like the ones in wrestling[Greco-roman] with a little more emphasis throwing after catching a kick or parrying.

Can we call it Kung Fu? Yes. It requires kung-fu, but it's not an internal styles, it's an external like Wing Chun. The blocking and parrying are similar to Wing Chun, the elbow techniques are mostly derived from Baji quan, while punch/kicks are from many arts.

It's mainland China's version of MMA without external influence.

It is indeed a style. But saying it's kickboxing is kind of wrong in my view, it should be categorized into an MMA style. Look at Cung Lee, he's doing fine.

Sanda is an art. Sanshou is a type of competition.

-Taison out
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/25/06 02:39 AM

technically sanda and sanshou are the same thing, it's like saying sparring and freefighting. but the current trend is to use the terms as you described.

strictly speaking san shou is the final progression in your kung fu training.

something like

ting / guan shao
tui shao
chi shao
san shao

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 07/25/06 03:03 PM

yea thats what I meant with free fighting. Using you kungfu with no form. You've progressed to a level where you no longer need to stand like an eagle or act like a monkey or look like a praying mantis. You just look like you. Form with no form.
Posted by: saiping1000

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 08/17/06 07:45 PM

Hung Family Fist!!! New to the forum and CMA, Glad 2 be here.
Posted by: tailiugug

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 09/26/06 06:09 PM

I've trained my whole life, statring in judo, wushu, animal transfermations, I can instruct Iaido, Aiki Jujitzu, Tai chi, Tai lui chuan fu, jukungdo Chi gung. I currently train closed door under two masters the tai lui, Iaido and Aiki under 78 year old sigung tallbear, and O-mei kung fu tai, chi and chigung master (jack fu), I am training in 2 disiplines that I have not reached instructor level yet, Pai te mei (white Eyebrow) under tallbear, and O-mei gung fu (fire dragon) under Jack fu. my specialty is outdoor (Mnt training) my first 11 years of training was done almost alway outside in the woods or on posts
Posted by: shaolinbobert

Re: What style(s) are represented here? - 09/28/06 11:37 AM

Shaolin-Do, Tai Chi.