Hung Gar

Posted by: Stampede

Hung Gar - 05/16/05 07:49 PM

Any Hung Family practitioners on the forum?

Lord knows I'm not one, just figured I'd take a stab at being first on the forum.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Hung Gar - 05/17/05 02:31 AM

Hi! Tung Mun Si Heng. In cantonese, 'Brother of the same Clan'

Just to get the conversation going, how old are you; just to see if I should address you as 'si heng', 'si dai', 'si sook', or 'si bak' I am 57.

So have you done the forms with 4 iron rings on each hand and after four forms in four directions punch out a candle? on the first punch?

What is you favourite animal? My is the snake, because of the ability to slip into, around, along an attacking hand and strike at the throat with the extended fingers.

What other chinese arts you do?

Hung gar is a very hard style. What are the conditioning you do? I did a lot of forearm conditiong in my younger days. The logic being that if you can intimidate with a really hard and painful (for your opponent) block, half the fight is won.

Lets talk some more later.
Posted by: Stampede

Re: Hung Gar - 05/17/05 09:56 AM

Me, I'm only 21. Not a Hung Gar practitioner, though I've enjoyed watching demonstrations thereof, and speaking with it's practitioners.
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Hung Gar - 05/17/05 08:49 PM

Hello ButterflyPalm.

I've been studying choy li fut tor 13 years now. We have some elements of hung gar handed down through the lineage.
Conditioning of the forearms and shins is done every class. I had no doubt that my instuctor could break my arm with a block.
I like the snake too. How it stares right through you. Plus of it's speed. The same reasons you mentioned about the throat.
Were not has hard of style as hung gar.
Nice to hear from other kung fu people.

Kevin

Re: Hung Gar - 05/18/05 02:26 AM

pathfinder.

Choy Li Fut is famous for the straight arm figure-of-eight swing crushing down from above. I have known CLF people who train just that for years holding those old fashioned 'kettle bell' weights and with good forearm conditioning, not many people like to block that.

What is your favourite weapon? For me its what many people consider the 'king of weapons' -- the spear. It is actually two weapons in one, a long stick with a dagger in either one or both ends. It has speed, length, and the ability to 'slip' through tiny openings of opportunity.

Do you do dynamic tension forms in CLF?
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Hung Gar - 05/18/05 06:40 AM

Butterfly, I want to thank you for that. My instructor has us train with dynamic tension in our forms sometimes, now I know where that came from.

As I've posted before, my style is American Kenpo Karate. However, my sifu favors the chinese roots of the style. (I'm not getting into a debate over Chow's training, let's just leave it as an established fact that many arts that have Japanese roots also have Chinese influence on them.) I've studied/practiced for six years in that style. I've been doing weapons since I was nine (western fencing/swordfighting).
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Hung Gar - 05/18/05 11:25 PM

Buttterfly

Hung gar and it's famous 12 bridges. We do have a couple of dynamic tension forms. I can still hear my instructor "do it again". Favourite weapon would be the hooking swords and chain whip. Not as practical as the spear. Many daily objects can be used like a spear for self defense. Do you do a lot of strikes with the inside of your forearm? My instructor liked to hit the throat with his forearm to set up a throw.

Kevin
Posted by: the_war_palm

Re: Hung Gar - 05/20/05 12:14 AM

Just sayin hello to fellow Hung brothers and sisters.

Re: Hung Gar - 05/20/05 03:20 AM

It is a habit of many chinese systems, not just Hung gar, to intersperse some slow dynamic tension aspects in the middle of a fast form. When it happens, it means that that particular section of the form has reached some joint-locking, grabbling application, because you need 'dynamic' strength to apply it in combat, as opposed to striking which has to be fast and furious.

There are of course 'pure' dynamic tension forms to strengthen the joints, tendons and to strengthen muscles without adding too much bulk, which will slow you down and impede flexibility. These pure tension forms (done at half tension only with co-ordinated breathing patterns) are meant to 'gather' the chi so that it can be applied in the normal combat forms at the advanced level; this is usually the 'secret' part of the syllabus in many chinese systems.

It is interesting to note that in most systems (including the karate systems) the tension is done on the out-breath; but in Bak Mei (White Eye-Brow) the tension is done on the in-breath. I did some experiment and found that the Bak Mei system is actually more effective in 'gathering' the chi and spiralling it into the bone.

However just doing the tension forms, without any 'gathering' of chi will still do you a lot of good; which is why many 'out-door' students thought that that is all there is to it.

Pathfinder.

Yeah, without conditioning the inside of the forearms, many techniques in Hung gar are quite useless and even dangerous to you. But the forearms (inside and out) when properly conditioned are almost as good as carrying two baseball bats.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Hung Gar - 05/23/05 08:37 PM

Thats because Bak Mei is more of an internal art, based off a combination of Daoist and Buddhist principles. Where areas the chi gong in Hung Gar is more external (external elixir) and buddhist oriented.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Hung Gar - 05/30/05 06:33 AM

Hi guys thought you might find this article interesting, I've also done articles on Kong Pai Wai, Mark Houghton, Jim Uglow and Lau Ka Yung, I'll dig them out if you're interested...

Interview with MARK HOUGHTON, JIM UGLOW, KEVIN PANG and ANGELO ZAPPONE on the new TEN TIGERS OF CANTON Association.

In the middle of my summer course with around 25 European students staying at my Dojo we were pleased to receive a visit from the Shi Kon Kung Fu Technical Director Jim Uglow, his friend Martial Arts actor, stuntman and fellow Hung Gar exponent Mark Houghton (who you will remember from the September issue of MAI) and their two students, actors Angelo Zappone and Kevin Pang. After the photo shoot for this article we were treated to a powerful and stunning demonstration of Hung Gar Kung Fu after which we could talk over the traditional cup of tea.

Their Hung Gar lineage is as follows:

Hung Hay Kwun

Luk Ah Choy

Wong Tai

Wong Kei Ying

Wong Fei Hung

Lam Sai Wing

Chan Hon Chung Lau Chaam

Jim Uglow Lau Kar Leong

Angelo Zappone Mark Houghton

Kevin Pang

SR Hi everyone… Mark, can you explain what the Ten Tigers of Canton are all about?

MH The Ten Tigers of Canton is all about the Hung Gar style of Kung Fu. It’s making the point that it’s not about people or characters but the art itself. It’s an association being formed by Jim and myself, Jim representing the UK and myself representing Hong Kong and we’re looking for eight other country representatives who can trace their lineage back to Lam Sai Wing and Wong Fei Hung to follow in the footsteps of our ancestors and promote the art and not just themselves. The original Ten Tigers of Canton were the most famous Martial Artists in China and one of them was Wong Kei Ying, the father of Wong Fei Hung – both lineage holders of the Hung Gar style. This time we want to make it truly international representing ten countries. The two people we have here today Angelo and Kevin are the “Junior Tigers” being intensively schooled to follow us. The idea is that there will be a “Junior Ten” that will do demonstrations, Lion dances and so on internationally to promote the art.

Anyone interested can get in touch with us through Steve Rowe by email on steve@shikon.com

SR Jim, is there anything you would like to add to what Mark just said there?

JU Not really I think Mark said it all, our interest is in the next generation and that’s why we have bought these two here today.

SR Okay so that brings us to the “new generation”… Angelo, how did you get to start Hung Gar with Jim?

AZ I first met and started training with Jim when he was teaching at my acting school. I developed an interest and started to train outside the school with Jim. To be honest, I didn’t train that well or hard at the beginning but as an actor I had some “resting” periods with not a lot to do and was able to spend a lot of time at the Kwoon, with a lot of help from my Kung Fu brothers and teachers I was able to improve.

They also taught me the Lion Dance and that has enabled me to travel extensively around the country with them performing and training. I have to say I found it difficult! The training gets harder all the time and I have found that the more I learn the more I realise I don’t know! I have discovered that if I do as I’m told and just follow my teacher - and I trust him one hundred per cent - then I don’t put a foot wrong.

SR Tell us about your trips to Hong Kong..

AZ I’ve been to Hong Kong 3 or 4 times with Jim to train with his Kung Fu family, his Sifu Chan Hon Chung has sadly passed away so he now goes to train with his older (Kung Fu) brother Kong Pai Wai and I’ve always found the training amazing and the “family” open and willing to pass on their knowledge due to the time and effort that Jim has put in with them. I can’t thank him enough for that!

SR Can you tell us a little about your background?

AZ I trained as an actor for three years professionally, and have worked (as many actors do) sporadically since. I found the Kung Fu has helped me considerably with my mental and physical balance and focus. I don’t like people with big egos, and this kind of training doesn’t allow your ego to grow. You have to go through the pain barriers and you constantly get your backside kicked. I found that this helped me considerably working in the theatre and in films.

SR Can talk a little about being selected as the “Junior Tiger” to Jim?

AZ Well, this is all new to me! I only recently found out about it and I’m speechless! I’m really flattered that Jim chose me, it’s quite an honour and I hope that I can do the position justice.

SR How have you enjoyed the training with Mark?

AZ Training with Mark is “full on”.. It’s painful but he has an extraordinary amount of knowledge, so I don’t mind going through the pain because I know that I’m gaining from it. I know what from Jim’s told me that he comes from the same family and that he’s my Kung Fu “uncle” and Kevin here is now my “brother”. We made vows in front of the ancestors at the altar and it’s a bond for life that can’t be broken.

SR Kevin, how long have been you been studying Hung Gar?

KP I’ve been studying under Mark Houghton in Hong Kong for about two and a half years, I work as a Lifeguard at the moment but am hoping to break into the Hong Kong movie industry this year from my Martial Arts background. When I return to Hong Kong I have a number of meetings with some TV and film producers.

SR I understand that you’ve been teaching?

KP That’s right. I’ve been helping Mark to teach at seminars world wide. In between my life guarding and movie career along with my Kung Fu brother Angelo here I want to do as many demonstrations and courses as possible to promote Hung Gar and Chinese Martial Arts world wide.

SR Mark can you explain a little more about how Angelo and Kevin became Kung Fu “brothers”?

MH Sure…. They burnt joss sticks at the altar to Kwankun (the god of war) and then at the Hung Gar altar to pictures of the Hung Gar lineage (Lam Sai Wing and Chan Hon Chung) they swore to help each other to promote Kung Fu and stay together as long as possible.

The “Ten Tigers” association is an important step forward because there are so many Instructors promoting themselves and their lineages and their Kung Fu just doesn’t come up to the mark. We want the art to come first. We don’t want the deeper teachings to die off just because some people are more commercial than others.

We’re passing the knowledge on from generation to generation in the traditional method but in an international way to promote Kung Fu world wide.

SR Thank you, Mark, Jim, Kevin and Angelo.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Hung Gar - 05/30/05 06:58 AM

Thanks alot for the article.

I want to start training in HG again, but I don't have any money to even pay my current teacher.
Posted by: Gorgor

Re: Hung Gar - 06/08/05 10:32 AM

Hi, I'm pleased that here are more Hung Gar practitioner. I's a great style, isn't it?:-)