Karate Do Kyohan - Funakoshi a reflection of Itosu

Posted by: Victor Smith

Karate Do Kyohan - Funakoshi a reflection of Itosu - 08/24/11 07:22 AM

I've posted an article on my blog about Funakoshi Ginchin's 1935 applications of his Karate.

http://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2011/08/karate-do-kyohan-funakoshi-reflection.html
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Karate Do Kyohan - Funakoshi a reflection of Itosu - 08/24/11 05:58 PM

That was a really interesting blog Victor, thanks for that. It was thought provoking regarding the different versions of Gichin Funakoshi's book you came across! Makes me wonder how many other books by masters from days gone by have had their content edited by other people.

Your blog also made me wonder about another point: Is less more? Yip Man Wing Chun is suppose to be a simplified form of something that had, once upon a time, a lot more movements and forms. One of the lauded benefits of modern WC is that it is much easier to learn than more complex kung fu styles.

In the same way, could it be that modern Shotokan, which excludes some material that Gichin Funakoshi taught once upon a time, is easier to learn? Is it better to focus on a smaller amount of material in order to increase the likelihood of mastering that material? If I focus on the 100m sprint instead of a decathlon, I may not be as well rounded, but my sprint should be much better than if I trained it as part of a decathlon, no?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Karate Do Kyohan - Funakoshi a reflection of Itosu - 08/25/11 04:43 AM

In the case of most books they were probably one time publications. The Karate-Do Kyohan was a tool used by the JKA and Funakoshi Sensei had to participate in the revisions up to his death so I guess it's not as much as other's making changes but a change in what was wanted to represent Funakoshi Sensei's art as the JKA evolved.

As for change making Shotokan easier to learn, I just read an interview with a student in the 50's and workouts often consisted of 300 kata repetitions. It would be hard to say this made things easier.

Rather change makes those practicing focusing on different things period. It was remarked the change was largely from one to one instruction to what larger group instruction required. I think this is fair, especially to pursue kata technique applications IMO is best served in very small intimate training.

Differences but all we know is change is constant.

Thanks for the thought provoking questions, hope this helps.
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: Karate Do Kyohan - Funakoshi a reflection of Itosu - 08/25/11 09:25 AM

It goes to show how much of the original intent of Okinawan Karate was changed as it assimilated into Japanese culture. There is no getting around the differences.
This was a interesting blog. Thank you sensei Smith.

Mark