side-kick, front or rear leg?

Posted by: gojuman59

side-kick, front or rear leg? - 05/10/11 02:53 PM

Coming from a tournament background, ITF TKD I developed a pretty good lead leg side-kick. It served me well (like a jab in boxing)
I also became fairly good at breaking with this technique. I was able to put quite alot of force into it.
Now I'm taking Okinawan Goju Ryu and I'm instructed to use my rear leg and chamber my knee up and roll it over in a more traditional manner. I was told that my front leg kick could be jammed and that I should side kick from the rear leg.
When you're 6'3" and middle aged that basically put my side-kick on the shelf. While I can still whip the front leg side-kick up fast, the rear leg version takes too much time.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter.

Mark
Posted by: choonbee

Re: side-kick, front or rear leg? - 05/10/11 07:19 PM

I would think that someone who knew what he was doing would be able to see it coming pretty easily.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: side-kick, front or rear leg? - 05/10/11 08:20 PM

A side kick launched from the rear leg will almost always prove too slow. Before you hips get halfway into position, your opponent will have rushed you and you'll be in a wrestling match.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: side-kick, front or rear leg? - 05/11/11 07:55 AM

UNLESS, you jump stance as you do it!!!!

i prefer inside thigh kick it really "stops" your opponent, but some Orgs don't allow this kick or any kick below the belt.

Hence why Knock down karate is so OSU!!!!
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: side-kick, front or rear leg? - 05/11/11 10:18 AM

This is a good topic. There was a related discussion on here quite a while ago:

http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=373337&page=1
Posted by: MattJ

Re: side-kick, front or rear leg? - 05/11/11 10:46 AM

Goju, I think your basic assessment is correct. Front-leg sidekicks are faster, while rear-leg sidekicks are more powerful. The difference is variable depending on who does it, but those are often accurate.

Depends on what one is trying to achieve.
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: side-kick, front or rear leg? - 05/12/11 09:43 AM

Thanks everyone for your input on this topic. This confirmed some things for me.
1. Rear leg side-kick, powerful but too slow.
2. front leg side-kick, choose your oppurtunity wisely

Actually since I did so many front leg side-kicks in the past , it has more force than my rear leg version. Speed of the techique is the key.That and footwork.
I could use the front leg version in self-defense probably only after I slipped to the side of my opponent. Aim low and take out the base.
The rear leg version is probably best that it just gets forgotten. It just has too many risks. While you're loading the thing you could be seeing the ceiling flash by when you get rushed . Wha-bam!! Knocked on your butt.

Mark
Posted by: choonbee

Re: side-kick, front or rear leg? - 05/12/11 05:05 PM

The rear leg sidekick might be good if your opponent is reeling and you want to put a finishing touch on him.
Posted by: Ives

Re: side-kick, front or rear leg? - 05/13/11 09:15 AM

Originally Posted By: gojuman59

1. Rear leg side-kick, powerful but too slow.
2. front leg side-kick, choose your oppurtunity wisely

Since you might have not trained the rear leg version very much recently, I believe your speed might be a bit off.
The speed in you kick comes from lots of practice.
I use the front leg version aswell, but my rear leg version will put you down sore, more often.

Also when used in close range, the rear leg version can easily be changed in an ura-mawashi-geri or an o-soto-gari.

I also like the 'man-stopper' to the inside thigh.

Speed can be learned by practice. Saying the rear leg version is too slow just doesn't cut it.
But hey, if your front leg version is fast and powerfull cherish it!

Keep up the good work!