Favourite Grade/Belt

Posted by: Dobbersky

Favourite Grade/Belt - 04/12/11 05:53 AM

All,

This is for everyone no matter what level you are!

I was thinking after one of my students asked me "What was your favourite Belt level?" I was stunned. I though for a few seconds and I said appart from the grade I am now, Brown belt level. The reasons were I was a senior level but didn't have the responsibilities of the Black Belts. in large classes and events if you look you'll notice Blackbelts/Dan Grades cluster together in groups and the Coloured Beltss/Kyu grades in another group!

There are other reasons which I will add later and another favourite Belt level too

Looking forward to your thoughts and stories if you have any

OSU
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Favourite Grade/Belt - 04/12/11 08:35 AM

Aikido white belt.
No testing. What do I have to prove, and to whom?
Now, over fifteen years later that same belt is grey.
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: Favourite Grade/Belt - 04/19/11 03:06 PM

This is a good question that doesn't lend it self to a quick answer.
It seems to me that my answer to this has changed as I have moved forward in my life.
Back In the early nineties when I was coming thru the the ranks I would have said black belt..of course. Can't you see how good I have become and stick around so I can show you..tell you..bore you. Wow! Isn't great to be me.
When I look back at my attitude back then I can only shake my head.
I was very fortunate to (after 13 yrs away) still have a hunger to learn the arts. It has been 3 yrs now in a traditional school (Okinawan Goju Ryu) and starting over has been great.
Now my green belt is just fine with me and if not for my instructors prodding I would I would stay green forever. The arts are so much more enjoyable when ego is taken out of the equation.

Thanks for the forum, Mark
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Favourite Grade/Belt - 05/01/11 12:00 AM

Hello Dobbersky:

No "segregation" where I came from. Just tired after long classes, and long days. There wasn't any rank that was better, just clases with more interesting people in them.

So, no particular rank comes to mind, just interesting groups in various time frames. And the parking lot after class was always fun. They lasted longer than classes at times...

Jeff
Posted by: choonbee

Re: Favourite Grade/Belt - 05/01/11 08:22 AM

I think that white belt is an important belt because it is there that you learn the basics that you will use throughout your training.
Advancing foward from white belt to the next level shows that you have progressed in learning the basics, and is important from a confidence standpoint.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Favourite Grade/Belt - 05/01/11 12:37 PM

Black. No question.

The day I got my Black Belt July 29th, 1989 was one of the best days of my life. It marked the accomplishment of years of blood sweat and tears. It taught me that I can accomplish anything if I work hard enough and never give up. Melodramatic? You bet. But at the time, I didn't really know if I could accomplish a goal that hard. And while as an adult I realize it was only the beginning of my training, as a young man it taught me so much.

I know many think the belt system is meaningless, but I think those who don't realize the deeper meaning involved and how much it can help a person. Especially if that belt is truly earned and has merit.

It's not about the punching and kicking, or which style is best. It's about setting yourself on a goal and working hard to achieve it. It's about understanding what it takes to win, and those lessons transfer over to all aspects of life.
Posted by: choonbee

Re: Favourite Grade/Belt - 05/01/11 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Kimo2007
It's not about the punching and kicking, or which style is best. It's about setting yourself on a goal and working hard to achieve it. It's about understanding what it takes to win, and those lessons transfer over to all aspects of life.

Agree 100%.
Great point.