hip rotation

Posted by: kibadachi1

hip rotation - 03/09/11 08:17 AM

when doing techniques that come from the same side of the body such as a left leg forward stance right hand reverse punch that the hip rotation would be counter clockwise. however when the technique comes from the opposite side of the body such as a left leg forward stance left low block or left leg forward stance left inside block where the left block starts on or near the right hip or left leg forward back stance with a left shuto coming from the right shoulder that the hip rotation could go clockwise. would like to know how many do inside block where the hand comes from the opposite side of the body use same direction hip rotation and how many use opposite hip rotation or do some use both and if you use both what is the reasoning behind each?
thanks for then input
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: hip rotation - 03/15/11 04:21 PM

Hello Kibadachi:

Gonna take me a while to make any sense out of the multiple left and right scenerios which you described. I think the answer you seek MAY be simple body structure... if I understood the question(s) correctly of course ?????

Blocking off the front foot/hand tends to keep everybody from getting struck, period. Blocking off the back hand has far less distance reach. I want the "force-field" as far in front of me as I can maintain any hope of generating power. Too close and we all get struck.

Not clear that was your core question, but we'll try agan asap, see if we can deciper it better. But my initial answer is simple body structure. Which side of the arm or what hip one uses to generate power is often stylistic. Outside of the arm is deflective, the inside "bone edge" tends towads a preference for impact, I would think.

Was this the core issue???

Jeff
Posted by: kibadachi1

Re: hip rotation - 03/27/11 04:19 PM

don't mean to be so confusing will try another example.
In a left foot forward stance doing a left low block would your hips turn clockwise or counterclockwise while doing the movement? if your hips turn counterclockwise that is known as hip rotation, and if they turn clockwise that would be reverse hip rotation.
Posted by: Dwip

Re: hip rotation - 04/02/11 12:57 AM

I would think if your in a left front stance and execute a left down block, then you hips would turn (more like vibrate) slightly to the right, as in clockwise. That way you would be more set up for the reverse punch in which case your hips would obviously rotate to your left (counter clockwise)
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: hip rotation - 04/20/11 02:40 PM

In the scenario described above (L-forward w/ L-hand blocking down), both directions of rotation are correct - depending on the style of karate/MA you're sensei is teaching.

(1) The clock-wise (or oppositional) rotation was taught to me in a Shotokan dojo. The clockwise rotation facilitated the "wind-up" for a strong Reverse Punch.

(2) The c-clockwise rotation was more of a Shito-ryu technique (of course, not exclusive to Shito-ryu I'm sure). The blocking motion was the launching platform to the Reverse Punch.

Shotokan has been identified w/ larger, more dynamic movements while Shito-ryu is noted for quicker, smaller movements.

This leads me to "Go-no-Sen" vs. "Sen-no-Sen" - the Shotokan example is an example of "Go-no-Sen" while the Shito-ryu example is "Sen-no-Sen". (will be happy to expound if anyone is interested)