Goju Ryu breathing methods

Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Goju Ryu breathing methods - 05/31/10 10:57 PM

I have heard that Goju Ryu is a specialized in breathing correctly/exercises. Can someone from Goju provide some basic information, drills for improved breathing? Something I can try on my own?

The way I do it now is inhale through nose, exhale through mouth. Crunch abs and force air out on exhale.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Goju Ryu breathing methods - 06/01/10 04:36 AM

The Goju Ryu breathing method won't be learned via the internet. The best option is to find a local instructor or practicioner.

The breathinig we do is as follows: exhale on the execution of a technique, then inhale on the retraction of a technique. One breath, one technique. It's kind of difficult to describe correctly.
Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: Goju Ryu breathing methods - 06/02/10 02:03 AM

I was hoping to get a bit more of a backgrounder on Goju's breathing specialization before I spend any money.

In current style:
We breathe in on blocks and breathe out on strikes. So a three technique combination would be:
Block (breathe in)
Jab (short breath)
Reverse Cross (sharp breath squeezing stomach and contracting abdominal)

Anyone else? How does Goju do breathing different from my style?

Lokkan-Do
Posted by: ninpopo

Re: Goju Ryu breathing methods - 07/06/10 10:09 AM

In Goju Kai how we do it, the first half of the block you inhale, and as you raise your arm, you exhale, stiffening your muscles throughout your legs, stomach neck everything for a split second (on impact in other words).

Also when you do a combo of lets say 3 strikes, inhales through the nose as you go in, exhale 3 short times through teh mouth on each strike OR a short inhale and exhale on each strike, your call, but youll need someone to force you to make this second nature (ie a sensei with a wooden sword) smile