San Dan

Posted by: BrianS

San Dan - 04/04/09 11:33 PM

"Tested" for san dan today. Taught a class for two hours then got the crap beat outa me by four people in rotation. Every part of me hurts.....

Posted by: student_of_life

Re: San Dan - 04/04/09 11:44 PM

they say pain is the best teacher...

good luck with it brian.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: San Dan - 04/05/09 10:45 AM

Hey Brian,

good luck with the result, im sure you will pass mate.

What did you teach in the 2 hour class?

Let us know the result,and have a rest!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: San Dan - 04/05/09 11:16 AM

Whoa! Did you know this was coming, Brian? I'm sure you have earned your promotion, though. Good luck, bud!
Posted by: underdog

Re: San Dan - 04/05/09 01:14 PM

Congratulations from one of those who may never get to San Dan and who admires the work and knowledge it take to get there. The pain will pass. The moment will last forever.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: San Dan - 04/05/09 03:00 PM

Congrats Brian. Hope you reap all the rewards for your efforts.

Re: San Dan - 04/05/09 03:18 PM

Quote:

Whoa! Did you know this was coming, Brian? I'm sure you have earned your promotion, though. Good luck, bud!

Thanks everyone! I've known for a month now and I was prepared as one can get.

The class I taught was just an ordinary saturday class. We went over three I forms and practiced the bunkai for white belt level (cause they're all white belts).

After class people I haven't seen for quite a while showed up, even my old instructor Dale. He said he was going to hold a sign by the raod that says "kick Brians ass for $.50!" lol...I think he was serious.

I fought with my friend and co-instructor 3rd dan J.R., then I fought with Randy(my primary instructor) 4th dan, then I fought Jeff(Randy's brother and co-instructor)2nd dan, then Jennifer (another 2nd dan co-instructor). whew.... Four fights with a couple minutes rest inbetween.

The fights were just that, fights, and when you test for san dan you get put down several times. That's just the way it is. I have knots all over my head, a few scrapes, and some weird shaped red streaks on my face. My muscles are sore as hades. At one point I nearly puked because I was sucking wind so hard. I can see out of both my eyes and walk upright, so I'm good.

I was honored to partake in this passing with these guys. We have two police officers, a member of S.W.A.T.,an FBI agent, a high school choir teacher, and an engineer.

Thanks everyone!!
Posted by: Neko456

Re: San Dan - 04/06/09 04:35 AM

Congradulation we knew you could make it. That sounds like one hell of the peomotion test!! Good job,

To reflect on this I ask how many people out of your starting class even made Black belt, and another note how many Shodans made it or stayyed in the dojo to Nidan and obviously only you four made to Sandan. Thtis is just a mental note to reflect how special this accomplishment is, it shows your commenment and lovbe for the art.

BS ROCK ON!!

And heal. Didn't you just recover from a knee injury?
Posted by: harlan

Re: San Dan - 04/06/09 08:08 AM

Dang...sounds 'old school'.

Congratulations.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: San Dan - 04/06/09 12:01 PM

Sounds kick-ass, literally and figuratively. Can I offer some Tylenol? LOL Congrats, dude!

Re: San Dan - 04/06/09 03:58 PM

Quote:

Congradulation we knew you could make it. That sounds like one hell of the peomotion test!! Good job,

To reflect on this I ask how many people out of your starting class even made Black belt, and another note how many Shodans made it or stayyed in the dojo to Nidan and obviously only you four made to Sandan. Thtis is just a mental note to reflect how special this accomplishment is, it shows your commenment and lovbe for the art.

I've seen alot of people come and go. I remember a particular class of about 20 going down to 8 when they made green belt. Different reasons for each, but for the most part their heart just wasn't in it.

Quote:

BS ROCK ON!!

And heal. Didn't you just recover from a knee injury?

I had acl reconstruction last july. I had it braced up nicely, but it wasn't an issue.

Thank you!

Re: San Dan - 04/06/09 03:59 PM

Thanks harlan!! How's your training going?

Re: San Dan - 04/06/09 04:00 PM

Quote:

Sounds kick-ass, literally and figuratively. Can I offer some Tylenol? LOL Congrats, dude!

I took 2 aleve and went to bed early.

Thanks!!
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: San Dan - 04/07/09 11:45 AM

I know I am a few days late on this but this made my day! I am busy so I don't get on the forums as much as I would like.

Brian this sounded a lot like my sandan test. Did you have to present kata or self defense tactics? Or, did your instructors know that you know them already? You said co-instructor J.R. you own a school? Man I am really out of the loop on this stuff.

Re: San Dan - 04/07/09 05:40 PM

Quote:

I know I am a few days late on this but this made my day! I am busy so I don't get on the forums as much as I would like.

Brian this sounded a lot like my sandan test. Did you have to present kata or self defense tactics? Or, did your instructors know that you know them already?

They know that I know already. That comes with years of training together. These kinds of tests are more of a right of passage,if you will.

Quote:

You said co-instructor J.R. you own a school? Man I am really out of the loop on this stuff.

We have a school in Ft.Smith,AR and maybe one coming soon to Rogers.

Thanks!

Re: San Dan - 04/08/09 11:13 AM

That's great Brian. I would love to hear about your school. Your approach to karate and your style of training has always appealed to me. You can PM sometime if you like.

A few pics - 04/28/09 09:37 PM

Help me help me!!!!

I'm gonna hit you with this hand right here....

This is gonna hurt...

Tickles, don't it.

Side mount is rough.

J.R. & Jen

Me un Randy..

Me un tha kiddos!!

More next week.
Posted by: karl314285

Re: San Dan - 04/29/09 02:55 AM

HI...CONGRATS.

In Traditional MA it will be the stick to it and do Men and Ladies who are the Heart of Any DOJO OR SCHOOL, wandering miscreants like me who spent 'decent' Time in Training for a few styles but ( Exceptin the number of Students I was key or at least formative in Growth) never wanted to settle down till too late . Uh oh yeah now you can NEVER LEAVE,we sent a sleep # bed w/ your name so you can practice in sleep.

Seriously, the Time and Raw Dedication to reach San Dan is what I've seen as a line of Attrition or Permanence...carry on for us old codgers still shodan here nidan there, no rank elsewhere
-Friend Karl. Peace. next test gonna be a while...and hurt mo pain mo pain mo pain

Uhh cool pics, just HOW Big are you?? 6'3'' 260??? The pain thing uh, just kiddin, hahahah....RUN

Re: A few pics - 04/29/09 01:15 PM

I'm 6'2" 195. The camera adds 65lbs,

Thankyou for the compliments! Yep, I suspect the next test will be several years down the road.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: A few pics - 04/29/09 09:55 PM

I was just going to say you gotta bring some to get some and you are packing a load, but 195 6'2 is not bad. But are you sure your'e not fudging you drawf most of them in bulk and height.

I'd say you have made a complete recovery, the little lady is taking care of you well. Cute kids must looks a lot like Mom.

No just kidding you have a nice looking family. Congrad!!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A few pics - 04/29/09 10:00 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics, Brian! Great job.

Re: A few pics - 04/30/09 03:16 AM

Quote:

I was just going to say you gotta bring some to get some and you are packing a load, but 195 6'2 is not bad. But are you sure your'e not fudging you dwarf most of them in bulk and height.

Well, I did recently finish the p90x and have been working out pretty regular.
My instructor,Randy, is only 5'6", but hits like a mack truck and can pretty well control me on the ground. I'm working on it!

Quote:

I'd say you have made a complete recovery, the little lady is taking care of you well. Cute kids must looks a lot like Mom.

No just kidding you have a nice looking family. Congrad!!

They got their looks from their mother, I still have mine!!!

Thanks Neko.

Re: A few pics - 04/30/09 03:17 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the pics, Brian! Great job.

Thank you!!
Posted by: butterfly

Re: A few pics - 04/30/09 11:54 AM

Dude, those are the best---you and the kidaroos!

Re: A few pics - 04/30/09 07:17 PM

Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: A few pics - 05/05/09 09:28 AM

Congrats Brian

Well Done, I hope I can hit the level you did when I take my SanDan, my Nidan is only a few weeks away.

Osu!!!

Re: A few pics - 05/05/09 12:15 PM

Thanks for sharing Brian and good luck Dobbersky.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: A few pics - 05/14/09 09:50 AM

Update, My Nidan Grading is on the 7th June 2009

Re: A few pics - 05/25/09 01:27 AM

Quote:

Update, My Nidan Grading is on the 7th June 2009

Don't be nervous,even though you can't help it, just do the karate!

Looking forward to the report!