It's official now

Posted by: horizon

It's official now - 01/14/09 05:27 PM

Today, seconds before class started, my sensei came up to me and said he hereby officially invited me to do my shodan grading in November this year. When I was paired up with him during sparring he 'made the point' how tough it iss going to be and how much work I still need to do

Although it was hinted that I would be up for my shodan this year, I didn't take anything for granted, and I still don't. November is still a long way away and lots of things can happen. I also seriously have my work cut out for me, especially when it comes to sparring. But I guess that's all going to be part of the proces.

It's not going to be all fun and games and I suspect I will have plenty of moments where I ask myself what the point is. But for now I cycled home from class with a massive grin on my face
Posted by: MattJ

Re: It's official now - 01/14/09 05:32 PM

Good luck, Kim. I have been on the receiving end of many "points made" regarding my skill level over the years, LOL. It will give you a good idea of on what, and how hard you need to work. And some bruises.

Re: It's official now - 01/14/09 05:38 PM

ghe ghe,(un)fortunately I don't bruise very easily, so people think they have never hit me hard enough

oh, and thanks of course for the good luck wishes
Posted by: BrianS

Re: It's official now - 01/14/09 08:25 PM

Good luck with your test! I'm sure you'll do fine.
Posted by: underdog

Re: It's official now - 01/15/09 08:36 AM

Good luck. You will always remember your shodan test.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: It's official now - 01/15/09 02:42 PM

Quote:

I have been on the receiving end of many "points made" regarding my skill level over the years, LOL

That brings back memories. My 1st instructor started all sparring classes with all the BB's each facing a non BB and we would spar with each by rotating through. I didn't learn this until later, but he always instructed his BB's to go easy and help the partner learn. But, if he calls out "10 seconds left!" that was the cue for the BB's to unleash all the fury of what they had for that last 10 seconds. So, if new to it, you got to thinking, "hey, I'm not too bad at this." then came the call and you realized just how much you didn't know. You instantly got the point that everything you were able to get off on that BB was because he let you in to get it. Great eye opener... or eye closer as the case may be.

Re: It's official now - 01/16/09 05:18 AM

Yep, I've experienced that as well. Actually, I experience that every week. One of my instructors especially. He let's me do my thing for a bit, then his eyes start to glimmer and he gets a huge grin on his face and I know I'm in for some 'fun'.

Anyway, thanks for all the good luck wishes. I'll probably be reporting during the coming 10 months how things are going and asking for some help as well maybe
Posted by: Salek

Re: It's official now - 02/22/09 12:02 AM

Congratulations and Good luck. I like the idea of having to be told that you will test as opposed to asking. Good for you
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: It's official now - 02/26/09 11:43 AM

Good Luck Dude, I hope it goes well, you could add like a diary to this thread monthly about your preparation etc for you Yudansha test.

I'm grading my first ever 1st Kyu from my club in April 09 that'll be fun
Posted by: GaryWado

Re: It's official now - 02/27/09 02:48 PM

What you grading him/her in Ken?

Re: It's official now - 02/28/09 12:07 PM

We're 6 weeks on since I got 'the word' and things are going well. I am going to the gm regularly (mainly to shift my Xmas ponds still) and am working hard on my sylabus. I'm concience of pacing myself and not go all out way too soon, but all the work I do on my syllabus now will pay of later on.

the last few weeks I haven't felt good about my sparring though, which was getting me down a bit. I felt I wasn't improving and thinsg weren't making sense. Last week was much better though, and when one of my instructors fond out I was insecure and feeling down about sparring he was so supportive and gave me the two thumbs up. he told me to keep things in perspective, the fact I am a good few inches shorter then almost all of the black belt guys, quite a few pounds lighter and less strong because of it. Also they all have 10+ years experience on me and I am actually doing really well in keeping my own. I have a good structure (according to him) god counters and I keep my hands up.
Anyway, enogh of blowing my own trumpet. It's just really nice to get the support and knowing my instructors believe in me.

Dobbersky, enjoy your 1st Kyu grading, mine was tough but really great!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: It's official now - 03/01/09 10:34 AM

Stay strong and good luck, Kim.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: It's official now - 03/11/09 12:38 PM

The fact that the test is going to be tough means it will be worth it. If they just gave out shodan like candy, what would it all mean? Sounds like you have a good school/instructors. Work hard, Kim.