Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate

Posted by: Dobbersky

Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 01/09/09 05:21 AM

All,

What are your views about the pros and cons of the 2(3) Styles when they are compared with each other?
Kancho Ashihara/Kancho Ninomiya took Kyokushin, Judo, Aikido and a few other arts and created Ashihara Karate and Enshin Karate (although Enshin was formed at a later date). From what I can see, Kancho Ashihara and Shifu Lee both created independant styles at around a similar time independantly and unknowingly of each other.

What do you think was the thought process as Shifu B. Lee did the same thing and took Wing Chun, Lau Gar and other styles and create Jeet Kune Do at around a similar time in History?

I wasn't too sure about the dates of the forming on Jeet Kune Do and Ashiharakai but I new they were of a similar era in history. But I thought it was an excellent topic for a new thread.

Please note, this is a not a my style is better than yours thread this is about the routes of each style and about their creator/creation.

I placed this thread on another forum and got some really good responses, I wanted to pass it to you guys to see what your thoughts are and also give the Kung Fu guys a chance to comment themselves.

Posted by: Neko456

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 01/09/09 12:54 PM

No I think Sifu Lee had a totally different idea, he wasn't trying to form a better Karate or Kung-fu. But mind free responce to a movement without style or a certain way to do something.

I think you are right about the Karate Kyoshinkai systems but I think JKD is not a system its a feeling its a way of no way,its is just a reply to a move in the most efficent way you know of from your base. Its more about self discovering rather then learning a certain way to do something as in the Eshin stress of tai sabaki and turning your oppoenet, which still is Karate. JKD can have a Karate base but it could have a Kali or wrestling base or whatever. JKD is a theory of way of no way. It's not a style or set format as in a system of Karate or Jujitsu.

My 2 cent.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 01/10/09 12:35 PM

Interesting topic, Dobbersky. I've always wanted to study Ashihara Karate actually (there doesn't seem to be any around here, though). Maybe to get the ball rolling it would help to be given a rundown of philosophy that guides the system though. Because I think people (like myself) know about Lee's concepts, but not Ashihara's.

--Chris
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 01/12/09 12:05 PM

Chris, I hope Ken (Dobbersky), doesn't mind me dropping a few things down about Ashihara. I've studied it for about 16 years and my original instructor was Yoshida Sensei who was the Hombu head instructor under Ashihara. He taught in Australia and later came to California where I learned from him.

In any case, nothing is perfect and no art, system or method has it all for every individual. With that said, there was enough of the good stuff in Ashihara that I stayed for a long time. The other thing you have to keep in mind, like all systems and styles, the stuff you are taught may not be the exact curriculum others are taught from other instructors, but are centered around the same basics even if expanded upon or delivered differently.

As I learned it, boxing was the choice of hand usage coupled with some punches ala Kyokushin, noting its antecedent art. What differentiated it from Kyokushin was primarily three things, not necessarily in the techniques used but in how they were implemented within the central strategy of the system: 1) Extreme emphasis on tai-sabaki (body movement in and around attacks with an idea to unbalance the attacker or confine his attacks to less able ones) with a set curriculum for acquiring this skill; 2) Though full-contact, going out and wailing on one another as in early Kyokushin wasn't necessarily the goal; and 3) the use of grabbing and throws. Limitations would be in the lack of a ground game, though many of the stylists were and are acquainted with Judo, it still would not be anything nearly as emphatic as wrestling basics or a firm grounding in BJJ.

As for the higher levels of Tai-sabaki use, some of these, though not Aikido, can be Aikido like.

Regards,
Brad

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 01/14/09 08:53 AM

Quote:

Chris, I hope Ken (Dobbersky), doesn't mind me dropping a few things down about Ashihara. Regards,Brad

Brad, (Butterfly), my friend, I actually feel like you came to my rescue!!! lol. I am grateful for your input. As an independant club its hard to accumilate all the knowledge about the style that I love so much. If I was 10-15 years younger, I'd be knocking on your door asking to be your Uchi Deshi Lol.

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Thanks Brad

And Thanks Guys for all your posts on this thread although I'm not too sure if I've had any posts from JKD practitioners

Posted by: Neko456

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 01/14/09 12:14 PM

Comparing JKD - Eshin or Ashihara stress of tai sabaki and turning your oppoenet, but its still just Karate.

JKD can have a Karate base but it could have a Kali or wrestling base or whatever.

JKD is a theory of way of no way.

It's not a style or set format as in a system of Karate or Jujitsu.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 01/14/09 01:00 PM

butterfly, thanks for that! The focus on Tai Sabaki is actually what has made me want to study the Ashihara system for some time now, as I think it would work well with my Aikido.

Quote:

As for the higher levels of Tai-sabaki use, some of these, though not Aikido, can be Aikido like.

Not that I expect there to be any, but do you know of any video, either free or not, where I can check some of this stuff out? I'm really interested to see it.

As a general question, are there any kata in the system, or has the focused changed to two man drills and sparring?

--Chris

p.s. If you know of any Ashihara folks in Toronto, please let me know.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 01/15/09 11:04 AM

To answer your question about kata, there are katas, but they are essentially two man drills that can be done solo, or with sections taken out to give some idea of usable techniques per range. They are exactly the techniques one can use, and do use in basic practice, with no overt attempt to make them aestheticly pleasing. They are not kata in the traditional sense. And I still don't like them or other kata. LOL

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 01/17/09 07:43 PM

Thanks Guys for your thoughts

I wanna bring it back on line for a minute

My main question was how did to Excellent Martial Artists and Streetfighters from different parts of the world come up with the style that they did, they both are from traditional style and both created something completely different.

It shows that its a thought which is had by many people over time.

Another less 'traditional' example Is Imi Lichenfield the founder of Krav Maga, he again was a Streetfighter with a traditional base in Judo/Jujitsu Wrestling and Boxing. And Krav Maga is also so similar to Ashihara/Enshin and Jeet Kune Do but without the Kata.

They all seem to have one thing in common - they were all established streetfighers.

thanks guys and your thoughts on this concept please
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 04/06/09 04:59 PM

Ah but Bruce wasnt and still is not an established streetfighter. Theres no evidence, other than heresay, to prove that he EVER had a streetfight. What he was was an established Hollywood Actor, he just had a good mind for martial arts.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 04/07/09 07:35 AM

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I would dismiss that "hearsay" so easily. Many friends and family of his have confirmed streetfights Bruce had. I'm pretty sure I have seen video of him fighting on a rooftop in one of his video biographies, but I can't access YouTube at work. Perhaps someone else can find it?

I don't know what constitutes "established", but I feel pretty certain that Bruce did have some streetfighting experience.

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 04/07/09 08:50 AM

Quote:

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I would dismiss that "hearsay" so easily. Many friends and family of his have confirmed streetfights Bruce had. I'm pretty sure I have seen video of him fighting on a rooftop in one of his video biographies, but I can't access YouTube at work. Perhaps someone else can find it?

I don't know what constitutes "established", but I feel pretty certain that Bruce did have some streetfighting experience.

This is pasted from Wikipedia

"Lee's celebrity and martial arts prowess often put him on a collision course with a number of street thugs, stunt men and martial arts extras, all hoping to make a name for themselves. Lee typically defused such challenges without fighting, but felt forced to respond to several persistent individuals.

Bob Wall, USPK karate champion and co-star in Enter the Dragon, recalled a particularly serious encounter that transpired after a film extra kept taunting Lee. The extra yelled that Lee was "a movie star, not a martial artist," that he "wasn't much of a fighter." Lee answered his taunts by asking him to jump down from the wall he was sitting on. Bob Wall described Lee's opponent as "a gang-banger type of guy from Hong Kong," a "damned good martial artist," and observed that he was fast, strong, and bigger than Bruce.

Wall recalled the confrontation in detail:

"This kid was good. He was strong and fast, and he was really trying to punch Bruce's brains in. But Bruce just methodically took him apart." "Bruce kept moving so well, this kid couldn't touch him...Then all of a sudden, Bruce got him and rammed his ass with the wall and swept him up, proceeding to drop him and plant his knee into his opponent's chest, locked his arm out straight, and nailed him in the face repeatedly."

After his victory, Lee gave his opponent lessons on how to improve his fighting skills. His opponent, now impressed, would later say to Lee, "You really are a master of the martial arts.""

I am sure I could find alot more but time is not with me my lunch has finished.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 04/07/09 10:41 PM

I think Lee had gotten involved in some fights as well. But I think one of the points that I had made before was about the quality of his opponents, etc.

It's almost pointless arguing about Lee and what he could or couldn't do anymore. The guy's been gone for 36 years. Probably more important what we can do as individuals anyway. (Yeah, yeah, I know people love arguing about Bruce Lee, I get it already).
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Jeet Kune Do V Ashihara/Enshin Karate - 05/10/09 01:29 PM

Quote:

I think Lee had gotten involved in some fights as well. But I think one of the points that I had made before was about the quality of his opponents, etc.

It's almost pointless arguing about Lee and what he could or couldn't do anymore. The guy's been gone for 36 years. Probably more important what we can do as individuals anyway. (Yeah, yeah, I know people love arguing about Bruce Lee, I get it already).

Exactly