testing for 1st kyu

Posted by: student_of_life

testing for 1st kyu - 11/29/08 12:13 PM

i leave now for 3 hours of training before i test for my 1st kyu, and i'm scared. i have butterflies in my stomach for a karate grading but i never had them for my final exams in college...

wish me luck, or prepare to laugh at me, what ever floats your boat. i'll be back some time soon to fess up with the news.

osu.
Posted by: Ames

Re: testing for 1st kyu - 11/29/08 01:31 PM

Good luck, man. Tell us all how it goes.

--Chris
Posted by: budobrubbie

Re: testing for 1st kyu - 11/29/08 02:40 PM

Make no mistake: You were asked to test because your instructors believe you're ready for promotion. Keep that in mind. Best of luck on your test.

Re: testing for 1st kyu - 11/29/08 11:49 PM

test is over, the after test corrections and words of advice are over, the after testing stuff our face meal at a kick ass resturant is over. my instructor even knows the results, but for some reason won't tell us yet. she mentioned that we will still train after the test no matter what....and that makes me afraid a little.

i thought i did good. one of the more solid kata i've done in a while, and the kumite was decent i think my stumbeling block was my kihon. my kicking in kiba dachi always sucks, that stance sucks for steping, who the hell steps in kiba dachi...who i ask you. so i'm still waiting to hear either way how it went, but deep down in the cawkels of my heart i think i could have failed it hard core.

now i wait in agony.

*edit*

i just scratched my nose and felt inflamed tissue scream in pain, i forgot i got hit in the nose by a man 7 feet tall. pain is the best teacher....
Posted by: underdog

Re: testing for 1st kyu - 11/30/08 05:09 PM

The injuries just become a part of the stories the school tells and that you tell. Everyone in my school knows that I broke my thumb in my Shodan test. You keep going. It is a badge of honor.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: testing for 1st kyu - 12/01/08 11:27 AM

Well Done, you should be proud of yourself !!!!!

Remember, you make the belt not the belt makes you.

I can count the injuries easier than the gradings. I remember my 1st Grading and my Dan Grading, Everything else seems to be a blur.

Keep up the good work you will be rewarded for your commitment

Posted by: Neko456

Re: testing for 1st kyu - 12/01/08 12:08 PM

Deep in your heart you failed?

Really you wouldn't be up for testing if your Instructor thought you would fail. In most case the only way you fail is if you quit/stop and cry (and can't be talk into continung) or just forgot all that you were taught.

Even if you failed at one stage another part of th test you done well will bring that total score and effort up. The main thing is to finish with heart and spirit. Congradulation on the real, here is where it really gets interesting and your future in your dojo and personal training starts to get clear.

1st kyus are the best of Brown belts!!!

SOL betcha U made it, what do you bet. Good job.

is now 1st kyu - 12/04/08 10:39 PM

i found out tonight i passed for my 1st kyu, sweet. now the real training begins to get my arse in shape for a shodan inside of a year! my sensei has some notes on the grading we are going to go over later for more correction. thanks for all the words guys.
Posted by: horizon

Re: is now 1st kyu - 12/08/08 09:46 AM

Congrats on passing your test. I did my first kyu test end of June this year. It was hard, I made mistakes and found the sparring very tough. I saw myself on video and was appalled by my last rounds of sarring (did 20 in total).

But instead of giving myself a hard time regarding every single mistake I made one of my instructors told me to see this more as an pooprtunity to realise what I need to work on for next year. I will be put forward for my shodan grading in November 09 and have lots of work to do, but that's ok.

According to all my instructors I did well in my grading, I did not give up when it got really hard, and that counts for something.

I'll stop blowing my own trumpet now ;-). Good luck with the final steps towards shodan, and just remember i'll be going through the same ;-)
Posted by: MattJ

Re: is now 1st kyu - 12/08/08 12:32 PM

Congrats, SOL!
Posted by: horizon

Re: is now 1st kyu - 12/09/08 07:11 AM

next time I really should check my spelling properly. That was appalling.....
Posted by: MattJ

Re: is now 1st kyu - 12/09/08 10:58 AM

No roblem, Kim. We are reared for the eriodoc selling/unctuation haenstance. Aology acceted.

Posted by: underdog

Re: is now 1st kyu - 12/09/08 11:32 AM

Congratulations. Enjoy the upcoming training. The Shodan test will be something your will always remember.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: is now 1st kyu - 12/09/08 01:33 PM

Congratulations. Now the hard work starts...
Posted by: Ames

Re: testing for 1st kyu - 12/09/08 02:12 PM

Congrats! Glad to see your fears were unwaranted.

--Chris
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: testing for 1st kyu - 12/10/08 12:15 PM

Hello Student:

Nervous is excellent! Guarantees we learn how to cope with those sensations, that physiology. Very much, if not fundamental to good training.

Pain is a ~great teacher~ but who the heck wants to learn from it! Rather learn by other (sic. better) ways if possible. Had enough suuffering thanks

Congradulations!
Jeff

Jeff