Old Karate Video

Posted by: medulanet

Old Karate Video - 10/11/08 01:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCVIQvpQQok
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Old Karate Video - 10/11/08 03:53 AM

Hi Med,

That's more than just an old Matsubayshi Ryu video, it begins with Sakiyama Sogen Roshi, student of Miyagi Chojun Sensei, performing Sanchin kata. He is also a Zen Master and was in the pre-WWII Goju video of students training in Goju Ryu.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Old Karate Video - 10/11/08 04:56 AM

so who was the main guy demonstrating the shorin ryu kata, pairs and the sai at the end? (I think he was Kyoshi rank, or nidan.....)

nice find, I really enjoyed that.
Posted by: CVV

Re: Old Karate Video - 10/11/08 07:09 AM

Great video,

The performance of sanchin by the zen master really shows what goju is all about. When you notice the turns, the execution of the side-block (yoko-uke, chudan-uke) shows exactly what is meant with hard and soft blending.

I have him on video, training sanchin with Jean Frenette, (I think somewhere 90ies). He said he gave up karate training to persue his destiny in Zen. Although judging his performance at that time, he still trained the kata regulary.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Old Karate Video - 10/12/08 12:41 PM

Quote:

so who was the main guy demonstrating the shorin ryu kata, pairs and the sai at the end? (I think he was Kyoshi rank, or nidan.....)

nice find, I really enjoyed that.

That is Owen Masters. One of my students used to train with him in NYC back in the late seventies/early eighties. According to him he is the real deal. He still teaches in NYC and is with the WMKA.