I love karate, but.....

Posted by: BrianS

I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 12:26 AM

I'm sick of all the politics.

I'm frustrated by the dumbing down of the art.

I'm tired of the bickering about kata application.

The 'True Okinawan Elitist' attitudes really suck.

The bitchin about which styles are better is just too stupid.

The 'that won't work' attitude from outsiders is just 289ythyut8479sjo!!!!!!!!!!

The idiots that just 'research' instead of doing real training.

The blown up ranks and ridiculous soke or grandmaster titles should just be banned!!

Tippy tappy sparring and XMA IS NOT KARATE!!

and you???
Posted by: Seiken

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 01:13 AM

Why not...

I love karate, but... the people who think karate is/should be only what they think or want it to be need to grow up!

All in all, sounds to me like your sick of looking on the internet or talking on this forum and coming across things like this, honestly, someone who isnt involved with people you speak of would never reach this point and have the animosity you have. Unless they put themselves in these situations, or spent too much time on the internet getting involved for no reason. Just look at your involvement with the Jion thread, has no point, your practically creating your own issues!

How are you frustrated by the dumbing down of the art? Is yours dumbed down? Is what you know dumbed down? This effects you how?

Politics? I dont run or get involved with any org. what so ever, something I dont ever have to deal with. Do you? Or just on this forum?

The bickering? See above. This forum is your problem.

Okinawan elitist? Sounds to me like your creating something from nothing, again with someone on this forum.

Styles? See above.

That wont work? You discuss your karate with too many people outside of karate it seems! I suggest stop talking on these forums then.

Idiots? The worlds full of them, not just karate. Youve never researched? Im sure you even use the apparently TABOO! google.com all the time, just think of anytime you used it to look something up that had nothing to do with karate, cooking, auto, maps, clothes, tickets, music, statistics, etc.. For heavens sake, you act like you know everything about everyone you talk to! You do know not everything you read is a lie! And research can and many times does involve hands on experience. Training should only take up so much time, with 4971 posts though, you know there is time for other things as well, here you are creating more issues for no reason..

Ranks? Really? This bothers you? Interesting... are you a soke? train under a soke? Ive never been involved with anyone that used this title that wasnt a great person, regardless of skill. So I see no wrong reason in using this as a label. You were a student at one time? Had a teacher? That teacher had a college professor... that college professor had teachers etc.. Youve let the martial arts mystique clowd your human judgement. Its just another term.

XMA? This just enforces my (surely wrong) judgement on you. No matter what you say XMA is karate. Or do the people who created this style have to prove to you why its karate? I remember seeing a documentary and the founders of this XMA were training under Okinawan Karate instructors. Must be a consipracy. And tippy tappy sparring in and of itself is not karate, of course it isnt.. its an isolation exercise like many things. But karateka can and do use it all the time. Makiwara isnt karate, makiwara is a board with straw and rope, but karateka can and do use them!
Posted by: dandjurdjevic

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 01:51 AM

I can see why Brian is frustrated. Saying it is caused by this forum is misplaced - because he is, after all, addressing people on this forum.

From my limited experience Brian is speaking about dealings on this forum with people who are elitist about their "pure" form of karate. I've encountered this, and not in forums but in real life. I had one fellow with all of 2 years experience come to my dojo to train. He trained with an IOGKF splinter group. He said to me after the lesson: "Yes, what you do is okay - but why not do the real thing?" I looked at him, his knuckles all gnarled and split from overdoing makiwara without proper conditioning, thought about his appalling basic technique, lack of kime, control or any finesse, and his inability to apply any technique in sparring and thought: "if this is the real thing, I'll give it a miss". The irony is that our dojo is a "splinter" from IOGKF - as far removed as his is in terms of lineage (even though we did split a decade earlier than his group).

At an internal arts seminar in 1989 I experienced the same elitism from a taiji student who had been training for all of 6 months but assured me that this was worth much more than my (then) 8 years of training. After all, I was a meat-eating brute with no chi power.

So I share Brian's frustration as to elitism. It is rampant.

I also share his frustration at all the posturing and high grades. At one seminar a fellow who couldn't punch his way through a wet paper bag introduced himself to me as "Shihan so and so". He had the audacity to tell me: "Your technique isn't all that bad, but you need more 'hara'." His technique was appalling. His version of 'hara' was an abundant shaking caused by reabsorption of power. I had to swallow bile - I could have given the Shihan a hiding even as a young brown belt.

The "that won't work" from keyboard ninjas or non TMA is also frustrating.

Having said all this, I agree with you that there is little point in complaining. One just has to deal with it, especially if one is going to discuss things on a forum such as this.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 02:48 AM

Yeah well, people are stupid, what a surprise huh?

Anyway, I understand the frustration but that's just the MA world, and all of those aspects are 100 times worse on forums for whatever reason. The good thing is you have people to train with who (I assume) don't fall into these categories.

Unfortunately, for alot of people Karate=dogma and cliques and illusions of pedigree.
However there are always those people who just love Karate too, and hopefully you have those to train with. As long as that is so then just look for the little gems that are posted occasionally from people on here (and they do exist) and don't take the rest of it too seriously.

It's very useful to remember always that martial arts and martial arts culture are two different things.

Posted by: Bossman

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 03:58 AM

I just love karate... all of human nature is bound to be contained within. In karate politics in the UK the absolute worst of human nature arises, at the tacky 'business' end the biggest charlatans live, but isn't any other 'sport' or 'industry' the same? The internet is the biggest and best form of communication and information resource in the world, but lift any stone and you find all the nutters of the world united!

MA forums are bound to collect them, unless heavily moderated they will be full of chi balls, R33L SD and what colour gi do you wear...
Posted by: harlan

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 09:28 AM

I find my level of irritation is related NOT to the amount of time on the internet...but the amount of time training. I suspect most folks on the internet would be there anyway due to it's part of the workday/work access. So, the ebb and flow of forum/internet stupidity is always there...it's just how easily one moves on or can ignore irritants (instead of rising to them).

But if training is interrupted, or if there is a particular snag in training (plateaus, bad night at the dojo, extended period of solitary training)...it affects my internal balance. It's normal to go seeking for connection with others...but the benefits are ephemeral.

As for the bigger scene of politics...if one isn't trying to 'make a name' or a buck...seems easy enough to side-step it by doing one's own thing.
Posted by: underdog

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 11:07 AM

I love karate. Nothing anyone else trains bothers me. Live and let live. If someone else wants to show me something, I take what i can use and leave the rest. It is a big world. As I get older and look back, I see my training and objectives have changed a lot over time. I can't figure out why I would want someone else's training to bother me.

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 11:21 AM

Seiken,

Thanks for turning my rant into a personal attack on me. I'm sure nothing bothers you at all.
sheesh..
Posted by: MattJ

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 11:42 AM

Seiken -

With all due respect, it sounds like you have much more problems handling the forum than Brian does. Your post comes across much more personal and angry than Brian's.
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 12:59 PM

Quote:

The 'that won't work' attitude from outsiders is just 289ythyut8479sjo!!!!!!!!!!

Amen, brother!

Now I believe that cross-training/MMA style training is great. But it still grinds my nether-regions to hear people spout this garbage.

I have a buddy here at work (who has never done a day of MA in his life) tell me that he would love to do MA, but did not want to do karate because "all that fancy stuff you do doesn't work on the str33t!" He has never seen me train karate (OK, TSD, but it is "korean karate" ), doesn't know how I train or how I fight, but labled my 'style' as ineffective based on name alone. Grrr...

I also had the opportunity to meet a couple of old karate buddies a couple weekends ago for an afternoon of hard sparring. A buddy of mine from BJJ came along because we wanted to work some grappling too. After watching us go a few rounds (and going a few himself), he said "Damn, your stand-up is good. I guess karate does work".

I know I am preaching to the choir, but I HATE these "TMA sux" naysayers.

Peace,
Mike
Posted by: Seiken

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 01:00 PM

Quote:

Seiken,

Thanks for turning my rant into a personal attack on me. I'm sure nothing bothers you at all.
sheesh..

Wasnt trying to attack you, just trying give an honest response on how I felt after reading your post. Im not saying nothing bothers me, I didnt start the thread though, and I really have no issues with anything youve stated, simply because I dont get involved with much of what you talk about. And if your not directly involved with those people then its likely the internet & forum is whats driving your apparent insanity(<-- this is me joking ).. I try to let things be as they are.

Somethings I say I guess you would have to know my personality to understand I have no ill intentions. I do realize my sense of humor sometimes comes off a bit dsirespectful in writing. Forgive me.

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 02:04 PM

Seiken,

No problem bro! It's hard to get across tone and expression in writing.

My post was just a rant and I don't lose sleep over those things.

We all have expectations of karate based on our own experiences. These expectations can be debated,but it's still how I see things.

I have run into many of these things outside the forum too. I'll try to make a list of my real experiences with these things.

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 02:22 PM

Quote:

I'm sick of all the politics.

I've run into this a little bit. Big organizations usualy mean inflated rank in my experience.

Quote:

I'm frustrated by the dumbing down of the art.

Karate kiddies,need I say more? Outside of this I have seen more dumbing down of tkd than karate personally.

Quote:

I'm tired of the bickering about kata application

Oh brother. I have had several conversations with instructors who think their way is the only way.

Quote:

The 'True Okinawan Elitist' attitudes really suck.

"Your goju is ok,but....." I've heard this from several styles,even after I put them to the mat.

Quote:

The bitchin about which styles are better is just too stupid.

Almost always just on forums, but a few occasions with TKDers and a Kempo 'master'.

Quote:

Anyone who is involved in karate has heard this from their buds or even strangers. "I'd just do this" bla bla....lol.

Quote:

The idiots that just 'research' instead of doing real training.

I have no idea who I could be referring to here. I'm taller than he is though.

Quote:

The blown up ranks and ridiculous soke or grandmaster titles should just be banned!!

I've talked with 'grandmasters' and those with 'blackbelts in 10 different styles', it's just silly politics.

Quote:

Tippy tappy sparring and XMA IS NOT KARATE!!

Well, it's not!!!
Posted by: Neko456

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 04:23 PM

Though those type people exist here they also exist inside any big Multi Art or Single Art core group most time. I've been on numerous Martial arts forums or committees and I would like to say this is the most tolorate of newbies, most knowledgable on MA issues, most fight orintated with some that seems to have been that done that, there are some elitist here but even they seem to have creditial (and its a poor duck that won't praise his own pond my exs Mother in law would say), what I see is a thirst and research for knowledge by most that frequent here. Of course there are some untrained stupid questioners here, blow hearts and if you ain't me you ain't sh$% people here but not for long the moderators and repliers usually sort them out quickly and show them the road.

I find this a real source of knowledge and with a group real characters from all over the world. It is a sound forum for what the Internet is good for reaching people in the know with a vast amount of technical and personal opinions and information. I've personally learned a lot even about my own base system and other Arts such as my teacher's History was just His and His Instructor Story. Obviously there are 5 or more different main views on whose who and whats what.

Anyway get 3 or more people togather have them explain a event that just happened and you will get 8 or 9 different stories from those 3 or more people imagine the number that attend this forum with the history of this Topic, we are sure to have numerous views on what happen 200-400 years ago.

I agree in a perfect world those things would not exist, but it just ain't so with various different people.

Some might even think that Karate is wrestling.
Posted by: Usenthemighty

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/19/08 11:41 PM

I know what you mean man, and its not about on forms for me as I don't spend much time on it. (sense I have more important things like training ) A lot of my friends that know I practice karate and seen me train plus spar before;however,I always get the "that [censored] ant gonna work in a real fight". Or stupid wrestlers saying I'll just put you on the ground and ant none of that stuff gonna work, or if I grapple you its over. I like MMA and all and like its training methods, but too me its not any diffrent from any other martial art training. All it is to me is hard work and learning to fight at all ranges(which is bascily learning to fight in my book). I do the same thing execpt if I wanna work on my hands, I dont go to a boxing school for it. I just work on my hands because my Karate got that covered. I wish mainstreem Karate wasn't watered down. I HATE how Muy Thai gets all this "ahh thats hardcore" trash when Karate and Muy Thai have the same moves. Karate can be just as hardcore, and this foolishness about kata needs to go. I havn't done kata serously in about 3yrs. I'v been trying to get back into it and,if I incorporate it into my training, it might help make me a better fighter, however I don't believe it is nessary to have it.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: I love karate, but..... - 06/20/08 04:47 AM

Brian,

There is only karate, there is no but though there are those who are butts!

Karate takes place on the dojo floor, not in mind games or ever, ever on the internet. The net is just a place to discuss and if you just take the time to pick and choose when and where you post and realize the rest is irrelevant you will find better wa in your life.