Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara

Posted by: Taison

Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 06:54 AM

I want to try something new~

I've totally exhausted my limited imagination and 'tools'. I need some new air.

I know this has been asked before but could someone, in a nutshell, tell me some of the MAJOR points of why I should pick any of these three arts.

ok, I know shotokan - long range, goju - close range, Ashihara - "fighting!".

What I really need now are some new kicking techniques and development of said techniques. Not only that, what I really need is sparring. I'm not a fan of kata for long hours.

Sparring, kicking techniques (not TKD'ish, simple effective karate kicks) and striking from angles.

I've worked with Goju a fair bit, so I'm more inclined on Ashihara and Shotokan.

Ashihara for it's simple, straight to the point approach in kumite and the concept of full-contact sparring.

Shotokan for it's long range fighting, and kicking techniques.

There's one thing I can't stand though... point-sparring. Count me out on that.

Help an old fella out here please.

-Taison out
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 06:56 AM

ahihara or similair I would have thought, based on what you say.

easy choice that.

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 07:06 AM

Oh yeah, just wanted to add...

PLEASE GO TECHNICAL ON ME~ I'm NOT a noob.
The whole "fitness and well-being" won't bite on me~

Jim,
Thanks for the fast reply.

My problem now is that I've totally exhausted everything I've got in my head. I've got no new ideas. If you've sparred with me for a couple of hours, you'll easily figure me out.

Plus, development have become slow all of a sudden. I thought boxing would help, but as soon as I got back into full-contact sparring, I just can't help using my legs in a 70-30 ratio.

Shotokan is easily accessable from where I live. Ashihara however is not as easy but I am willing to take the effort to get there.

I've been watching a few shotokan clips and stuff, and it seems they've got some nice mid-high kicks which isn't too TKD'ish (as in 5 kicks without dropping your legs, etc etc). Techniques such as the front-leg mawashi geri and ushiro geri a'la Shotokan seems interesting (MT equivalent doesn't work as well for me oddly enough).

Like I said, need fresh air.

Kata I enjoy, but going to class to spend 2 hours doing just that is... dull imo. I'm more of the "I need to do said techniques against moving targets" type of person, doesn't neccessarily mean alive.

Thanks for replies~

-Taison out
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 08:28 AM

Taison, how’s it going?

I would recommend bias-ly Ashihara, Its got similar styles to Muay Thai, and Kyokushin, but you'll get the addition of some excellent throwing action, UK version uses a Aikido based action on the throws, NIKO, I seen their Kata and Bunkai and that is really just as good, different concept to ours. Kaicho Narkar's is just as effective, but seems to be a mixed of TKD thrown in, and too many 'Ho' grades in-between the Dan Grades.

Ashihara is usually taught left leg forward and takes up a 'boxing' stance, we shin block elbow etc and go full contact in the sparring. The benefit of Ashihara is that the kata once memorised can be practiced left or right leg forward and each kata has Bunkai (application) pre set so its not conceived as move A is to counter attack B but it could also be for attack E. For example there are no 'hidden moves!

We also have 3-4 throwing kata (depending on which stream of Ashihara you follow). These are realy Aikido Throwing Kata with Ashihara Strikes added onto the end!! excellent to practice and do the bunkai on.

I would definitely go to Ashihara Karate in this aspect.

Tai Sabaki is also one of its main characteristics on this. We use and base Ashihara karate on 4 movements, which can be seen and taught in your local Dojo.

I have used my Ashihara so many times on the street and also it is excellent for 'sparring' against kick boxers etc as we stand similar to them but they get lost when we switch stance lock and throw them to the floor within seconds

Semi Schlitz, K1 Champ 05,06 & 07 is an Ashihara Practitioner.

I hope this helps, failing that, I'd learn Muay Boran
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 09:09 AM

When you getting into the army? I am sure you get some army training on fighting while riding elephants?

Want to try something really difficult? Try Tai Chi and you'll realise how clumsy you really are.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 09:20 AM

I agree with him. Ashihara is just a version of Kyoushin-kai and that is a combination of Shotokan and Goju with a sprinkle of other arts, like boxing.

Goju-Ryu and Shotokan stresses Kata and being able to apply its techniques, later I might advises looking into that and doing some ground training. What are you doing to do when you can't spar full contact?
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 10:09 AM

Interesting conundrum.

The problem I envisage for you Taison is that you're not a beginner and I can see you getting very board of relatively unnecessary technical training in something like Shotokan.

If you want to improve your kicking and would like a bit of variety in your fighting method I'd recommend WTF/Olympic Taekwondo. It's full contact, sparring intensive but teaches a very individual style which will likely be different to what you have already. The kind of TKD you describe is a different style to what I'm recommending.

Of the choices you gave, Ashihara is the obvious one as heavy sparring is pretty much a guarantee, slightly less so with Goju, and in Shotokan you enter point sparring realm.

However, the lull that you are describing sounds like the place where kata really becomes relevant. Kata/forms are a fantastic tool for opening the mind and expanding the possibilities we have by showing us new ways to use techniques or new principles which we can apply to unexpected situations.

Whatever sparring based school you pick, I'd recomend you also take up an art like Shotokan or Taichi that is forms intensive to give you something to study long term. One way to get everything you want in one class is to pay for private classes with a Shotokan or Goju teacher. Simply tell him your position and what and how you want to learn and see if they will accomodate you.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 11:43 AM

Hiya Shonuff,

Taison's definitely not a Beginner in Martial Arts; I've had some really good conversations with him over the years on a few subjects.

I'm not too sure TKD would be what Taison would be looking for.

Ashihara would be good, even Enshin would be good too or even dare I say it - Krav Maga. Ashihara and Enshin are only as close to Kyokushin as I would say via the basics (kihons) etc. The rest, including the kata, I would put closer to Muay Thai/Kickboxing mixed in with Aikido/Judo

What gets me on this is everyone comes to a point in their Martial Arts Journey where they want to try something new.

Taison,

Do you remember when I was looking at training in a few different styles, only to find that what I was already doing was actually all I needed, I just with your help and guidance, amongst others like Brad etc decided on this and now only study Wado Ryu and Ashihara karate, giving up the Aikido and the Jujitsu and the Krav Maga.

Osu
Posted by: MikoReklaw

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 04:29 PM

Ashihara isn't a bad choice, but then again, neither is Goju. Shotokan is verging dangerously close to the sport karate/point sparring that you do not want.

If you have done Goju before, and don't think it is what you want right now, then this isn't all that hard of a question, is it?

Seems as if Ashihara won by knockout.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/16/08 10:12 PM

If you said the Shotokan school is near by check it out. It never hurts to ask questions. Ask the instructor how much sparring you will be doing and what types of sparring.

Also I think you would like Ashihara because if I remember you have judo training as well. I think Ashihara's throwing and tournament style might suit you.

Re: Hit me with it~ Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Ashihara - 06/22/08 03:08 AM

Sorry for the late replies folks,

I've been around looking at things;

The goju places are the same like always so yeah, I kind of skipped them.

Shotokan dojo's seem interesting technique wise, but they're too heavily into choreographed 'sparring'.

Ashihara I need to check out when I get more free time.

Interesting,
I checked out a WTF TKD place. I really like their chopkicks and 'non-flying' spin kicks. True not much low kicks but heck, I've trained MT for a while, doubt I need to learn how to do low roundhouses

Ashihara, if like what you said, is growing partial on me due to the fact of using kicks WHILST holding someone, and idea which is almost heretical in Thailand (New MT rule, no high kicks while holding a limb).

Quote:

Want to try something really difficult? Try Tai Chi and you'll realise how clumsy you really are.

I realized the same when I tried ice-skating last week...

Thanks for all your advices, I'll do some more research and update you guys as I progress.

-Taison out