Ed Parker quote.

Posted by: MAGon

Ed Parker quote. - 05/26/08 03:50 PM

I've always loved this quote, which I recently found out was Ed Parker's:

"I come to you with only Karate, Empty Hands. I have no weapons.
But should I be forced to defend myself, my principles, or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong, then here are my weapons, Karate, my Empty Hands.”

Does anyone know when he said/wrote that? Under what circumstances? Is there a story behind it?
Yo, MattJ! How 'bout ya?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Ed Parker quote. - 05/26/08 05:58 PM

Hi MAGon. According to The "Infinite Insights into Kenpo" volume 2, Ed Parker did indeed write the above creed in March of 1957. This would have been not long after establishing his second karate school in California. He intended it as a general code for all martial artists.

Not too certain about the back-story, but I'll see what I can find.
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Ed Parker quote. - 05/28/08 04:33 PM

My little addition: In all the Kenpo schools I have visited here on the West Coast, it is known as The Kenpo Creed and memorization is required at the Yellow Belt level. There are additonal "pledges" required at each level, and each related to an aspect of proper conduct for the martial artist.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Ed Parker quote. - 05/29/08 02:46 PM

Didn't know that was from Parker. I've been told from day 1 that that was the "Karate Creed".
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Ed Parker quote. - 05/29/08 06:23 PM

First time I saw it was in Tak Kubota's Hombu dojo. I believe the poster was titled "The Karate Creed". I very recently found out it was Ed Parker's.